News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger R/T, What's it worth?

Started by rarefish, March 02, 2006, 04:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rarefish

A guy I know has a 68 R/T that I'm thinking of trading my 67 Coronet and some cash for. I'm trying to come up with the value of his car. He bought it from the original owner (family) about 7 yrs ago.  The car has 36k miles on it and is in original unrestored condition. It is a 440, auto on column, fold down arm rest, tinted glass, PS, PB, rear defogger, pass side mirror, 3.23 open, stripe delete, Color is PP red w/black vinyl roof, Black interior.
The paint on the hood and the top of the driver's fender has spider webbed and is cracking because of a repair that was done to the car when new before the owner took delivery. The hood was replaced by the dealer because damage that occurred in transit from the factory. The rest of the paint is about a 10 footer because of some door dings and scratches. The chrome still looks very good. The interior is original and shows almost no wear. Under the hood is untouched, but is not pretty mostly because of the age of the car. The car comes with all the original dealer paper work. I think the original red Line spare is still in the trunk.
I feel that that the hood will need to be painted and then maybe show the car as a survivor. I really hope that I would not have to paint the  whole car.  Any idea on what this car is worth at todays prices??

greenpigs

Pictures are needed for a better guess.

Doesn't sound bad and should be at least a 10- 15K car
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

PocketThunder

Quote from: greenpigs on March 02, 2006, 05:19:14 PM

:iagree:  $15k  ...........  $20 if it was a 4 gear
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

rarefish

I have been told that owner he is thinking along the lines of $20k for the Charger. My Coronet is worth around $10k. I made him an offer of $8k and my Coronet back in January. So far he has not gotten back to me with an answer. He wants to put on ebay and who knows what it will bring.  I figured that any number under $20k would be a good deal for me but then I'm not sure......If it was a 4spd it would be a no brainier. I can deal with the column auto, but I know a lot of people might pass the car because of it. But, hey, it's still a factory red car...

rarefish

Sorry no pics of the car at this time.  Anyone else have an opinion on this? I wonder if my offer is to generous... ???

derailed

Seems to me being a 36k mile unrestored original car and given all the info about it I think $20k is a fair price for it all day and I dont think he will have any problem getting it.

Dave22443

Offer him $18k cash and pur your Coronet on Ebay   :icon_smile_big:

I mean, think about it.  How many all original unrestored '68 R/T's can there be left in the world?  Don't paint the hood.  Put on a fresh set of red lines (but don't touch the spare!) and show it.

But hey, what do I know?  I don't have $18k  :'(

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

rarefish

I have been watching 68 Charger prices on ebay for the last 3-4 months and any R/Ts that sell below $20k are usually in need of a fair amount of work or are missing the original drive train. The paint on the hood and top of the fender was probably shot in lacquer and is now starting to chip off when you run your hand over it. It would be nice if I could find someone to shoot it in enamel to try and match the rest of the car's finish. That way I could keep that survivor look.

Beep Beep Dave

Sounds like it is worth 20k easy and probably alot closer to $30k
Not too many original cars with paperwork floating around these days at those prices. If its rust free you should be just dropping off your car and $10k or you will be kicking yourself in the ass for years to come after its gone!!!

Dave 
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

rarefish

Thanks Dave for the advice.... I will be talking to the owner this weekend and I will see if I can make the deal happen.  He was able to get all of the paper work that the dealer still had in their file on the car. The original selling dealer is still in business and they had kept all of the records on the cars that they sold back in the 60's.  The paper work included a lot of items that car buyer never gets to see. The "Advanced shipping notice" and the order form the dealer to the factory were in the folder.

Beep Beep Dave

As I see it you really can't go wrong!!!
You could search for years and not be able to find a similiar car and if you do it will most likely be 1500 miles away.
If it really is a good solid car just do what you have to do to buy it! If you pass email me, I'd happily give you $1k if I bought it for $20k!
Good luck,
Dave

1970 Charger R/T

rarefish

Well guys it has taken me more that  6 months to follow up on this thread, but I did work the deal on my 67 Coronet and cash swap for
a 68 Charger R/T survivor. I was amazed on how original it was. The following is a list of original factory parts that were still there. Heater
hoses, Alt.and PS  belts, Alt, Fuel pump , Fuel Vapor separator,  Water pump, Battery cables, Coil, Plug wires are dated 1973.  Master cyl., Carb., Wiper Blades,
Brake shoes, Jack and Red line spare have never been used. The white wall tires were install in 1977 and they still ride surprisingly
good.  I hope my pics load ok. This is my first time trying to do that.

rarefish

some more photos....

Hemidog

Wow!  :o That looks like a untouched beauty! you lucky bastard  ;)
Congratiulations.

PocketThunder

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 02, 2006, 05:27:23 PM
Quote from: greenpigs on March 02, 2006, 05:19:14 PM

:iagree:  $15k  ...........  $20 if it was a 4 gear

:o   Whoa! that babys worth more than $20k after seeing the pictures..... :yesnod:

Good job!
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

rarefish

and a few more....... :icon_smile_shy:
You might notice that the welded on bracket that holds the heater hoses to the
valve cover is missing. I guessing that is broke off many years ago. Also this car came
with a two piece metal fan shroud. Seems unusual for a 68 to have a metal one. ???

Shakey

hemi68charger

Wow !!!!!!!

Love it... Can you post some more of the inside the trunk area?

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

rarefish

Some trunk shots. I pulled out the original trunk mat, that is like new, hoping not to find any
surprises. Just some mosture stains. Nothing to get to excited about I guess.
I thought I had  pics showing the jack and spare in place, but right now I can't seem to
find them.    Jon.....

rarefish

The first day I had the car home I went looking for the Broadcast sheet. I pulled out the rear seat bottom
and found a sheet kind of stuck to the floor on the pass side. It was very dirty and tired looking.
After checking it out, it turned out to be for a 6 cylinder 68 Dart. So next  I removed the rear seat back and there
was another sheet and it turn out to be the correct one for the car. For 38 1/2 years that thing was still
sitting back there untouched. I do not think by this day and age too many broadcast sheets still remain in their cars.
So now I have all the paper work except the window sticker.  Jon..

mikepmcs

I'm happy to see that one turned out in your favor.  Not knowing what your coronet might have been worth(site unseen)  even if you had given him that and $20k you still made out.   I wouldn't touch a thing and call it a survivor.  Have some fun and show that thing.  Register it now and drive it cause either the previous owner is a good friend and was just helping you get your dream car or he really didn't know what he had IMHO.

Congratulations on your patience and persistence, looks like it paid off!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

rarefish

Thanks Mike, here is the 67 Coronet that I had to give up to get the Charger.
It also was a survivor with 26,000 original miles and original paint. The car is actually in better shape
than the Charger is. It was a 273-2bbl car. White interior that looked like the day
it was made. I figure the value of the Charger will go up at a faster pace than the
Coronet will so it will be a good investment over time, but it would have been sure
nice to have both of them. Interesting thing is that they were both sold by the same
dealer that still operating today. :icon_smile_big:

bull

Way to go! Very nice car.

You don't want that silly fan shroud though. Give it to me and I'll buy you a nice, plastic reproduction one that works better, ok? :yesnod:

rarefish

He Bill, I believe that I read that the built date of your 68 was 1-08-68. That is the same built date as my R/T.
39 years ago yesterday!

mikepmcs

WOW that coronet was sweet too.  definitely worth over $10k as stated previously.  I really like those coronets but still think you are better off with the charger for sure.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemi68charger

Quote from: rarefish on January 09, 2007, 02:57:42 PM
Some trunk shots. I pulled out the original trunk mat, that is like new, hoping not to find any
surprises. Just some mosture stains. Nothing to get to excited about I guess.
I thought I had  pics showing the jack and spare in place, but right now I can't seem to
find them.    Jon.....

Jon,,
Thanks alot !!!  She's is great... Now, with that trunk mat........  Make sure there's ventilation under it... My point is the mat is the death nail of trunk floors...  The pictures are real nice and I appreaciate it..... It'll help with my '68 Hemi Charger completion...

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

charge-it

Could you post some pics of the two piece metal shroud? Mine is missing that shroud. What is the radiator number in your car?
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

tan top

damn (rarefish)  what an awesome buy  dude  :yesnod:  , thats so original   :scope:       :drool5:     time warp machine for sure .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wow!  Great score!

The car was never painted?   Dont touch a thing!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

very impresive. i see why it was hard to let that sweet coronet go.. overall you made out like a bandit though.. (imo)  :yesnod:

rarefish

Thanks everyone for the great responce. I have had the car now for 6 months. I should have been
posting this sooner. The number on the radiator is 2898045. It is a 22" one.                                                                                               I don't have any good pictures of the 2 piece fan shroud yet,  but here are a
few pics of some of the original parts. As far as the paint goes. As I said way back on
my first post. The hood was replaced by the selling dealer before the owner took delivery,
because of shipping damage. A few things that I found out after I bought the car was the pass.
fender had been repaired when the car was 2 yrs old because a minor accident. Also the right rear
quarter was touched up back then. The rest of the paint appears to be original.  Jon

bull

Quote from: rarefish on January 09, 2007, 04:07:46 PM
He Bill, I believe that I read that the built date of your 68 was 1-08-68. That is the same built date as my R/T.
39 years ago yesterday!

Whoa! Which plant and what's your sequence number (last 6 digits)? PM me if you don't want to post it here.

CHASWINGMAN2

Quote from: rarefish on January 09, 2007, 08:04:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the great responce. I have had the car now for 6 months. I should have been
posting this sooner. The number on the radiator is 2898045. It is a 22" one.                                                                                               I don't have any good pictures of the 2 piece fan shroud yet,  but here are a
few pics of some of the original parts. As far as the paint goes. As I said way back on
my first post. The hood was replaced by the selling dealer before the owner took delivery,
because of shipping damage. A few things that I found out after I bought the car was the pass.
fender had been repaired when the car was 2 yrs old because a minor accident. Also the right rear
quarter was touched up back then. The rest of the paint appears to be original.  Jon
Jon, the engine pics are priceless.  My 68 383 HP car had dealer installed air when I got it.  The pulley arrangement is an abortion to say the least.  Please take some shots of the alt bracket, water pump pulley, basically a top down view, it would be much appreciated.  I should have all the parts I need to make mine correct, but photo's of yours would sure save me some time.   Thanks a bunch.
Todd.
By the way.  I paid almost 20k for my silver 383 car and after the charger dealings I have had this year, I'd say you got one heck of a deal.  That jewell would bring better than 30k on ebay.  You wanna trade? ???
Charger nut first, parts maker/seller second.<br />Selling top quality Mopar Restoration parts, most are licensed.  Email me for more information.<br />Working on the web site, be patient.<br />68 383 SILVER CHARGER<br />69 318 SILVER CHARGER C5X GUTS<br />69 383 4SP ROAD RUNNER<br />72 DART SWINGER, HEMI ORANGE<br />73 DART SWINGER, WHITE/BLACK<br />93 RAMCHARGER CANYON SPORT<br />99 RAM 3500<br />72 DART PROJECT<br />ETC.

BronzeOnSteelies

Rarefish that was an awesome deal!

My 68 has the same metal fan shroud. It also is auto on the column with a buddy seat.
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

dpm68

No lie, I'm envious and wowed at the same time. My 68 would take a battleship full of cash to look like that. One thing though, you mentioned that the car is equipped with (PS, PB,) etc. - if PB means power brakes, like it usually does, then I'm confused by the photo of the engine bay - it sure appears to be non-power optioned. Am I high?

8WHEELER

Sweet, I don't know how I missed this thread, you have a hell of a car there   :scope:  lots
of original markings as well. I would have a hard time doing a resto on a car that nice.

I have a few pics of the 22in steel shroud, all three of my current 68's came with them.
22in rad no AC, very common, very hard to find ''now''

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Hemidoug

Great score!!! Just remember, it's only original ONCE.  :icon_smile_big:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

rarefish

dpm68 ...you are right. my original post about having a chance to trade for the 68 Charger does mention PB.
When I wrote that back in March 06. I did so based on my memory of seeing the car a couple of months earlier.
The car is a manual drum brake car as the photos show....good catch! :yesnod:

tan top

intresting stuff guys ,  i am embarrassed to say i never knew of this two piece   metal  fan shroud    :-[ was it only used with  22" radiators .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

White68RT

Rarefish - looks to me you got a great deal. Thanks for all the pics & info - especially on the radiator, fan & shroud. I'm using a 70 radiator & shroud in my 68 since it's all I could find for now. Thanks for posting the radiator number (28998045). Will come in handy while looking at Carlisle this year for the correct one. Interestingly I have '68 parts catalog. The 22" radiator listed is 2949053 - but as my manual is the second edition from 68, many of the part numbers listed have an asterisk next to them indicating that they are superseded part numbers. Basically the 053 listed is the number for the '69's which were coming out and apparently they ran out of the 68's so the second edition started listing the 69 as a replacement part.  In any case - thanks to your posting I finally have the right part number.

p.s. I noticed the NY plates - if you're ever in Albany and want to see what "non-survivor" rust looks like on a 68 I've got plenty.

bullit68

VERY NICE CAR!!!!the metal fan shrouds only came on 22"rad cars.the plastic shrouds came on the 26"rad cars.

Beep Beep Dave

Wow I forgot all about that one...what a great looking car! I think you did great...not too many left in that kind of condition!
Good luck with it...let me know if you what to unload it.

Dave

1970 Charger R/T

375instroke

That is a beautiful car.  The worst thing you have to say about it is the heater hose bracket is broken.  Could someone sell a car that old for $20,000 and not know what they have?  I know that's not Barrett Jackson prices, but it's still a chunk of change.  Still a good deal though, in today's market.  From the pics, it looks perfect.  Hope I can find one as good as that some day soon.  Funny how people who don't work on cars think that it's best to change all your belts and hoses every 2 years.  Too bad the plug wires were changed.  With the car so original, and in excellent condition, it's funny how the wires were changed so early in it's life, and then never again.  How does the fender and quarter look where the repairs were made?  Can you post some pics of those areas?  Unless they look as bad as this, I'd leave the car alone.  It's only original once.

0X01B8

Quote from: rarefish on January 09, 2007, 04:07:46 PM
39 years ago yesterday!

Quote from: rarefish on January 09, 2007, 03:13:37 PM
The first day I had the car home I went looking for the Broadcast sheet. I pulled out the rear seat bottom
and found a sheet kind of stuck to the floor on the pass side. It was very dirty and tired looking.
After checking it out, it turned out to be for a 6 cylinder 68 Dart. So next  I removed the rear seat back and there
was another sheet and it turn out to be the correct one for the car. For 38 1/2 years that thing was still
sitting back there untouched. I do not think by this day and age too many broadcast sheets still remain in their cars.
So now I have all the paper work except the window sticker.  Jon..

Missed this thread 1st time...

Holy crap!   :o  My car was a virtual twin of this one..pp1 red, black int / vinyl top, stripe delete, manual brakes...  My build date is only eight days later  -- 1/16/68 -- AND I too found a Dart broadcast sheet in the same exact spot under the carpet!  Could it have been the same auto worker stuffing Dart sheets under the carpets?  Sadly, my car was missing most of the interior from the front seats back, so no correct sheet for my car.  :'(  BTW, if anyone here scored their black backseat from a wavy-gravy looking dude named Chris in Mid Michigan around '90-91, please look for my sheet!  - Seq # 068654

0X01B8

whoops...I didn't mean to say sequence #, or did I?  068654 is NOT the last 6 digits of my VIN so it's the order number, right?   The same number is also on my rad support, and found on broadcast sheets too, correct?

375instroke

I hope you didn't really pay $20,000 for that Charger.  You traded that Coronet for it too?  Man, you could have gotten this for just a bit more money:

1966 dodge dart 270 stationwagon-PIMPIN! - $25000

PocketThunder

Quote from: 375instroke on December 21, 2007, 10:18:03 AM
I hope you didn't really pay $20,000 for that Charger.  You traded that Coronet for it too?  Man, you could have gotten this for just a bit more money:

1966 dodge dart 270 stationwagon-PIMPIN! - $25000

:rofl:     :rofl:   :rofl:    Ok funny guy.  :slap:

BronzeOnSteelies

Your car has more options than mine but my 68 is similiar in that it has an auto on the column and a buddy seat.

It also has the two piece metal fan shroud

Yours is a great buy    :2thumbs:
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

1974dodgecharger

69rtsetracpac

I wouldn't touch it, like what has been said before, there only original ounce. That is nice!
What was I thinking?

rarefish

I thought "here should be an interesting post"  Only to find out that someone has dug up from the "crept" my first post ever on this site. I'm not sure why, but rest assured, that car has not altered since I have owned it.  Except for having the hood repainted a few years ago. Everything is pretty much as it was when I bought it.

greenpigs

Man it looks wicked red & with the red lines...my family voted to paint our 69 red and this picture only fuels the vote.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free