News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should new gas tanks be painted?

Started by AmadeusCharger500, October 08, 2013, 01:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Had to buy a new tank for my 73 and im almost ready to install.
I have 2 questions
Should the tank be painted?

Is there some material to be used between tank and body of vehicle?

Thanks

mopar0166

I painted my new tank for my 69 and has held up real good

Just 6T9 CHGR

Originally tanks were left natural with no paint on them

There is a pad that is supposed to be between the body & tank.  It was almost like a roofing felt material.  Beware of the cheaper repro foam type that can trap & retain moisture
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cudaken

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 08, 2013, 05:04:27 PM
Originally tanks were left natural with no paint on them

There is a pad that is supposed to be between the body & tank.  It was almost like a roofing felt material.  Beware of the cheaper repro foam type that can trap & retain moisture

I am with him.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Hard Charger

you could use Eastwoods tank sealer for inside.

NHCharger

I plan on clear coating the new tank on my 68.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bill440rt

This has been covered numerous times.
To paint or not to paint is entirely up to you.

Original tanks were not painted, they were left natural galvanized steel.
I chose to clear coat mine as well to keep the finish looking nice longer.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

8WHEELER

Quote from: bill440rt on October 08, 2013, 09:01:16 PM
This has been covered numerous times.
To paint or not to paint is entirely up to you.

Original tanks were not painted, they were left natural galvanized steel.
I chose to clear coat mine as well to keep the finish looking nice longer.

Agreed, especially if the car is driven like mine, it really makes the tank look great for a long time.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

AmadeusCharger500

Clear coat...cool never thought of that. Scuff tank surface or just clean it before doing this?

Ok so if theres cheap pads out there to avoid, then what do I look for?

bill440rt

Clean it with wax/grease remover or paint prep solvent.
I used a clear coat from Eastwood designed to go over bare metal.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

chargd72

I bought a new tank for Spectre and called to ask tech support the same question.  He said that the tanks are galvanized and coated with non penetrating oil.  But if I wanted to completely void the warranty, go ahead an paint it.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

HeavyFuel

Quote from: chargd72 on October 09, 2013, 12:30:53 PM
I bought a new tank for Spectre and called to ask tech support the same question.  He said that the tanks are galvanized and coated with non penetrating oil.  But if I wanted to completely void the warranty, go ahead an paint it.

I also got mine from Spectre.   

Nice tank, and generously slobered in oil....had to wipe mine down to make it less slippery/messy during install.   The galvinized surface will most likely outlast many other things on and in the car, including me.     

Musicman

A little pricey perhaps, but I suppose you could use RPM (Rust Prevention Magic:shruggy:

http://ecsautomotive.com/rpm.php

Canadian1968

I will be replacing my tank as well. I am painting without a doubt. Looking for a nice satin silver finish , not sure what product I will go with but there are tons out there !

AKcharger

I painted mine black to match the underside...just looked weird IMO to see this big bright silver thing hanging below the trunk, originals we 'rent as bright and noticeable.

AmadeusCharger500

I think I'm gonna try the clear coat.

Any ideas on the trunk pad where to get?