News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Somebody slap me

Started by 1BAD68, October 15, 2013, 12:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Ran across this camaro this morning and can't stop thinking about buying it.
I'll admit that I'm not brand loyal, I love many different models from all the big auto manufacturers and this is one of them.
Look's like it's straight outta 1970 something, ladder bars, fat Cragars, iridescent pearl paint, mudflaps, etc. and a 4 speed
Anyone know what to look for when checking these camaro's out?

Ghoste

68's aren't so bad.  I think they have the same rust issues as the rest of the American cars from back then.  Check the trunk and floor pans.  Parts should never be an issue so thats a big plus.

JB400

It looks pretty decent.  I'd like to see it all cleaned up. :drool5:

1BAD68

From what I could see it was pretty nice. The floor pans were solid and all the stuff was there, moldings, interior trim, etc.
I couldn't open the trunk and I didn't look under the hood but might go back later to see it and ask the guy some questions.

tan top

:slap:  :yesnod: :lol:  

love that shape camero !! :coolgleamA: four speed too   :drive:  if it all checks out & the price is right go get it  ,  tons  & tons of resto parts & engine speed parts avalible cheaper in some /most  cases then Mopar stuff  :RantExplode:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nvrbdn

i like the old camaro's too. im not totally brand loyal either. have a 69 cougar as my second car. and would really like to get a 68-69 nova for the next project. i was looking at a 73 charger on ebay that needs reassembled and not too far away, but its up today and im at work and cant bid. we are blocked from ebag. but the camaros are cool. i say jump if the water feels fine. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mopar Nut

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 15, 2013, 01:37:22 PM
i like the old camaro's too. im not totally brand loyal either. have a 69 cougar as my second car. and would really like to get a 68-69 nova for the next project.
I'm eyeing a 69 Cougar too, tail lights are awesome and a 67 Nova II.   :2thumbs:

I would jump on that Camaro for the right price.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Are you sure its for sale?   ;)

No less than 4 signs on that puppy!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

You didn't look under the hood by any chance did you?

twodko

Look at all the gaps too......doors, hood, trunk. Eyeballs under the hood and in the trunk will tell the story.

I'd love to have a restored 69 Nova SS.......not sure my large carcass would still fit in one though. :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

XH29N0G

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 15, 2013, 05:58:19 PM
Are you sure its for sale?   ;)

No less than 4 signs on that puppy!

:smilielol: :cheers:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

69rtse4spd

Price is right go for it. Picking up a 76 one owner Brougham this Sat. if wheather permits. Been inside the concrete floored pole barn since 95. This thing is loaded, power everthing & 440 to boot. Dad passed away mom going into home, little rust from what I could see at the time. And the son still has his 69 Coronet or Super Bee (don't remember right now) that he bought new. :drool5:. So yea I could get into a Chevy as long as it had a four speed. Drive it awhile then sell it. 

Cooter

Got the chance to see just what the hell all those damn chevy freaks love about these cars.

468.     4speed.     4.10s.

Lemme tell ya, these little cars are a handful with a BBC. I thoughly enjoyed that ride. Very few cars can actually "get rubber in all four gears"  like many claim....that little car could do it in spades.

these "cookie cutter" cars are very popular. Get ready for an ignorant pricetag.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

You might get lucky. He looks eager to sell!  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

70 sublime

We had a Firebird same vintage
Check the rear frame rails front to back
The bird was rotten at the top of the curve above the rear end
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

1974dodgecharger

alot lighter than a charger, more nimble, big block, 4 speed, better handling, what else?

Ghoste

I don't know that I'd consider a big block one to be a better handling car.  That nose heavy package makes it very unbalanced.  I don't know that those first generation F-body GM's had the greatest suspension either (not to mention they typically had much smaller brakes than Mopars).

1974dodgecharger

vs a charger that camaro is considered the better overall performer...unless we do some straight line 1/4 then it be different.

Ghoste

Put a big block in it and I think the "considered" could get a rude awakening for cornering and braking performance.

1970Moparmann

Looks like an original car - based on interior and paint.  How much is he asking? 
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1BAD68

Didn't get a chance to call last night, worked till 9:30 but hopefully I can later today (sign says call after 3:30pm)
Anyone know what a fair price 'guesstimate' would be?

70 sublime

I bet with that many signs on the car he has been trying to sell it for awhile
And if he still has it he is asking too much
I will guess in the $10 000 ball park

Any one else care to guess before we find out the real number ???

Lord Warlock

Rust is the main thing to look for,  looks like the pedal linkage on the inside is showing rust so if its rusty there i'd be real careful looking for rust in the floors under the carpeting, at the bottom of the doors, in the rear quarters, and of course he trunk.  If it was rust free it may be worth some,  but I wouldn't pay 10k for it in that condition unless it was a verified RS, SS or Z28.  

consider yourself slapped.  If you get a Camaro project, you'll never save enough to finish a charger project.   The Camaro will eat every available cent available.  At one time I picked up a decent looking 70 Camaro z28 clone,  and it wasn't worth near what I paid for it, and cost me almost 10k in fixup costs, all funds I should have put into the charger instead. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

1BAD68

Just talked to the guy. Apparently it has a Minnesota title from '85.
He said there was a floor patch put in the drivers floor area (it must have been done well because I didn't notice it) and a patch in the trunk floor.
He said it sat in a barn for a long time that's why everything looks crusty like the pedal linkage.
Original motor long gone, now has a '71 350 in it. The "muncie" is gone and it now has a "saginaw" in it, is what he said?.
He attempted to start it but lost interest so engine condition is unknown.

I'm going to crawl under it some more tomorrow to see whats going on.
But I know what it can be bought for and I think it might be a good deal.

Any guesses?

nvrbdn

yessssssssss???? :shruggy:

no more suspense. :scratchchin:

how much? :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

70 sublime

Ghoste

bull

I'd own one... if I had gobs of money and had already purchased everything on my Mopar list. I'd probably also be inclined to buy a '66-'67 Chevelle, a '69 Camaro, a '66-'69 Mustang fastback, a Ford GT, the list goes on.

1BAD68

6500, I think that sounds good for a complete 4 spd 1968 muscle car. Even some rust would be expected as long as it's not rotted really bad.
It has some interesting things like a "tic toc tach" a 12 bolt rear and a gauge pak. Makes me wonder if it was a SS or maybe a Z28?

Ghoste

I agree.  So are you buying it then?

1BAD68

I'm going to check the body out closer tomorrow and if someone doesn't beat me to it, I think I will get it.
I figure I should be able to at least get my money back out of it next spring if I decide not to keep it.

nvrbdn

a paint job on that thing will boost the value. i think its a decent price.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

1970Moparmann

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 17, 2013, 07:51:04 AM
a paint job on that thing will boost the value. i think its a decent price.  :2thumbs:

x2.  Look at the firewall in detail also.  :2thumbs:  Based on what you provided $6500 looks like a deal.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Ghoste

Does it need paint, or is it just filthy?  Maybe a good buff will bring it back?

ACUDANUT

$6800 is a steal.  Grab it.

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

1BAD68

I checked it out closer today and used a refrigerator magnet on the body. There were a few spots that the magnet wouldn't stick but just in the areas you would expect, otherwise the body isn't bad for that price.
Everything is just sort of crusty from humidity over the years.
Found the 'ProtectoPlate' in the glove box and the last registration from May '86 among a bunch of old Boston, Blackfoot and Lynard Skynard cassete tapes.
Turns out the car was originally "sequoia green" w/black interior, it had a 327 but was not a Z28 or an SS  :-\

6spd68

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 16, 2013, 02:24:11 PM

I would have said 7800$, if it was in Canada, 10 all day  :yesnod:

6500$ is a great price for that project.  If you can swing it, go for it!
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Ghoste

Then you'll have to get a 68 Ford of some kind to go with it.

70 sublime

Quote from: 6spd68 on October 17, 2013, 01:58:39 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on October 16, 2013, 02:24:11 PM

I would have said 7800$, if it was in Canada, 10 all day  :yesnod:

6500$ is a great price for that project.  If you can swing it, go for it!

That is where I was coming from with my guess

Mike DC

QuoteAnyone know what to look for when checking these camaro's out?

Be careful.  Old Camaro owners are notorious for stuffing them full of GM parts.  Lots of those cars have entire Chevy drivetrains.    

Ghoste

You can swap those out though can't you?  :o

y3chargerrt

Can you tell if it's an ss from the data tag? I talked to a guy at a cruise in that had an amazing 69 Z28. He said unless you had the tank sticker AND the matching number engine there was no real way to tell.

Ghoste

GM tags tell you very little which makes them one of the easiest cars to fraudulently duplicate.  Your friend is right.

ACUDANUT

With "4" For Sale signs, I bet he will take 4k for it. :scratchchin: