News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Suggestions - 8 3/4 Axle Housing Restoration

Started by Shakey, March 03, 2006, 09:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deputycrawford

I had mine sand blasted, then washed it out many times with TIDE and water. I did it at a power wash. I also took old shirts and a broom handle and cleaned it like a gun barrell. I then washed it a few more times. I used forced air to dry it. I then used POR-15 on the clean housing. It worked Awsome. I then used a paint called CAST BLASTon the pig. It is supposed to look like un painted cast iron. turned out awsome. Of course new seals went in during the build. I just cut out cardboard for the end caps and pig cap during the rebuild. 2000 miles later it looks like I did it yesterday.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

gtx6970

I guess I cheated then, I just had mine chemically dipped and power coated all at the same place. Dropped it off dirty and grimey and picked it up all nice and shiney.

Steve P.

I wish I could chemically dip my entire car...  That's another damn fine looking rear end...

Leave it alone, Bull... :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

deputycrawford

Steve P. There is a place in Toledo, Ohio that can dip your whole car. People come from all over to have it done here. It is somewhere on Matzinger Road I think. I will ask around and get back to you. They dip it, then put it in a wash tank, then E-coat it. It is not cheap but guys like the finished product.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Steve P.

Thanks Deputy, but I was really kidding.. There is a place back home in Rochester that I have used in the past. They do great work.  The funny thing is, the plant is the old HIENZ Catsup plant and the vats they used to make catsup are the same ones they use to dip your car.... 

I thank you though..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

deputycrawford

Does your car smell like tomatos when you get it back? ..MMMMMM ketchup.....MMMMM :drool5:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

HeavyFuel

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 05, 2006, 06:13:46 PM

I was wondering what this marking was on the back of my housing.  Guess it's a "3" ;D

HeavyFuel

Now if I only knew what this was. ???

Dodge Don