News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to make sure it doesn't get stolen?

Started by erlendch, October 27, 2013, 02:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erlendch

I assume a 45 year old car is pretty easy to steal.. What are you doing to prevent that? Don't answer always park in a secure spot, living in San Francisco, I'm not always able to do so. What about those Auto Steering Wheel Security Locks. Are they safe? If so, any brand you can recommend? Thanks! Erlend

A383Wing

to stop from hot wiring the car, I put a kill switch under the dash that connects the negative side of the coil to ground...they can put 12v to the positive side of the coil all they want..it will never start

twodko

If you have to park your car outside there's nothing you can really do to keep it from being stolen. Tow trucks/flatbed haulers will snatch a car every time.

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

GordonGriggs

You could always spray the front end with fake blood, then put crime scene tape around it. That might help. :o

Homerr

I heard a blow-up penguin on the drivers seat messes with people.

Or a Lojack.

Charger RT

I don't leave the car out of my sight when out with it. When it is locked in the garage that is on my homes property it has 3 cameras recording everything around the garage 24-7.
Tim

Fred

Quote from: Charger RT on October 27, 2013, 07:33:07 PM
I don't leave the car out of my sight when out with it. When it is locked in the garage that is on my homes property it has 3 cameras recording everything around the garage 24-7.
Tim

I know that's not what erlendch is asking but same here (especially when I'm out with it). Minus 2 cameras. I find one camera and two Rottweiler's does the job.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Cooter

Interview with car thief..
"How do I keep you from stealing my car?"

"Don't buy one".
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

polywideblock

remember reading an article in auto buff years ago. they suggested putting a extremely high powered stereo in car and ALWAYS turning it up all the way when car is  left at worst it will attract attention at best burst ear drums     :scratchchin:   just don't forget you've turned it up when YOU  get in

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Fred

Quote from: polywideblock on October 27, 2013, 08:49:28 PM
remember reading an article in auto buff years ago. they suggested putting a extremely high powered stereo in car and ALWAYS turning it up all the way when car is  left at worst it will attract attention at best burst ear drums     :scratchchin:   just don't forget you've turned it up when YOU  get in

You really have lost your marbles, haven't you?   :smilielol:   :smilielol:   :slap:  (the slaps for me)

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

chargerboy69

I used to think about someone stealing the car, now I don't really care. I can always buy another one.

If someone wants it bad enough they will get it.  I carry a good Hagerty policy on it . .so. . . . . Now if I am in it, my 1911 .45 will deter most people.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

4cruzin

Quote from: erlendch on October 27, 2013, 02:21:56 PM
I assume a 45 year old car is pretty easy to steal.. What are you doing to prevent that? Don't answer always park in a secure spot, living in San Francisco, I'm not always able to do so. What about those Auto Steering Wheel Security Locks. Are they safe? If so, any brand you can recommend? Thanks! Erlend

Hello. First the steering wheel locks are not safe . . . The thief will just cut the steering wheel and remove . . . Of course locking your car is a good idea . . . But one of the next things to get is a kill switch . . . This will more than likely prevent anyone from driving away in your car.

Towing it away is another story . . .  :eek2:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

WHITE AND RED 69

Bottom line is if someone really wants your car, they will get it no matter what security system you have. Even if it's in a locked garage guarded by machine guns a good thief can get to it. Best to use as many ways as possible to make it harder for a thief to steal. Alarms, tracking device, kill switches, cameras, the club, anything that will make someone work a bit harder to get your car. Even if they can cut thru the club in 10 seconds, that is still 10 extra seconds before they are gone. And the most important is a damn good insurance policy that will cover you for 100% of the value.

Look into getting some kind of tracking setup. That way if someone does steal it you actual have a chance in hell of getting it back. I have a Lojack for classics unit in my 69. I hope I never have to use it but it's nice to know it is there just in case.

If you are going to park on the street, get an alarm with a 2 way pager. That way if the alarm goes off you will know. I have a clifford alarm on mine with a pager that will let me know if it has been lightly tapped, bumped, hit hard, or if the hood, trunk, or any door is opened.

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

myk

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 27, 2013, 10:06:07 PM
Bottom line is if someone really wants your car, they will get it no matter what security system you have. Even if it's in a locked garage guarded by machine guns a good thief can get to it. Best to use as many ways as possible to make it harder for a thief to steal. Alarms, tracking device, kill switches, cameras, the club, anything that will make someone work a bit harder to get your car. Even if they can cut thru the club in 10 seconds, that is still 10 extra seconds before they are gone. And the most important is a damn good insurance policy that will cover you for 100% of the value.

Look into getting some kind of tracking setup. That way if someone does steal it you actual have a chance in hell of getting it back. I have a Lojack for classics unit in my 69. I hope I never have to use it but it's nice to know it is there just in case.

If you are going to park on the street, get an alarm with a 2 way pager. That way if the alarm goes off you will know. I have a clifford alarm on mine with a pager that will let me know if it has been lightly tapped, bumped, hit hard, or if the hood, trunk, or any door is opened.

I've been thinking about an alarm for mine as well, but seeing how we don't 'DD our cars do you ever have a problem with battery drain?  What specific Clifford model do you have? 

Guys, an important thing to remember is that nothing is "unsteal-able;" you can only make it more difficult to be stolen.  Sad but true, insurance is probably your best ally here...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Mike DC

1.  Alarm systems are for pissing off your neighbors, not protecting a car.  Nobody gives a crap when they hear an alarm going off and somebody is looking frustrated and messing with the door lock.

2.  A tracking system is needed.

3.  A flatbed tow truck can beat any anti-theft system on the planet.  But it can't hide from a tilt sensor that remotely notifies you the car is being dragged onto the flatbed.

4.  As for the guys who plan to drive it away - kill switches, with hidden wiring, in UNIQUE places.

5.  Insure it for an agreed-value figure. 

1974dodgecharger

I have a tendacy to take out my motor daily....it just works better that way.

Brock Lee

Quote from: A383Wing on October 27, 2013, 02:43:03 PM
to stop from hot wiring the car, I put a kill switch under the dash that connects the negative side of the coil to ground...they can put 12v to the positive side of the coil all they want..it will never start

I did this as well, but I made my cigarette lighter the kill switch. Push it in like you are heating it up to complete the circuit, pull it back to break the circuit.

polywideblock

that wouldn't work over here as the first thing the bastards do is light a smoke with the nos lighter

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Baldwinvette77

once i left my olds' doors unlocked for the night (an accident), someone apparently used it as a shelter from the rain and wrote a thankyou letter to me  :shruggy:

but all i do to that car is pull the coil wire out and keep it with me, malls, grocery stores, just walk around with a coil wire in my hand  :coolgleamA:

histoy

I've thought about removing the rotor from the distributor, but I like the hidden kill switch idea better.

tsmithae

Since I will be running a mechanical fuel pump I thoughts about having a kill switch for spark and a killswitch going to and electric fuel cutoff solenoid.   :Twocents:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

E5 Charger

I had a steering wheel lock, the Club, on my Grand Cherokee that is supposedly impossible to cut. They cut the steering wheel and took off the club off. We did get the Jeep back and saw the wheel. We now have to have immobilizers on cars or they can't be insured. This is similar to what the new cars have. I don't have it in my Charger, far from being insured, but do in my 97 Avenger. This is the one I have http://www.autowatchcanada.com Apparently car theft is way down after the insurance company enforced this.

flyinlow

An alarm that detects voltage changes, tilt , door,  hood,  trunk, gas cap opening. Disables start  and ignition, sirens and horns blaring, then sends a message to your fob or phone..... help, bring SIG !

Pepper spray canister with a squib that discharges inside car by remote.

GPS tracker.

Youtube video of car thief's being hung after castration.

BrianShaughnessy

Keep it in the garage like the insurance says it has to be...

otherwise... it's a 5 speed.    Apparently thieves nowadays don't know what a clutch pedal is for..
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.