News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Charger Value - Help!

Started by pikeadam, October 28, 2013, 01:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeadam

Hello,

I have a 69 Charger that is going to be put up for sale in the coming weeks.

It is an all original SE with a freshly rebuilt 318, tranny, tourque converter. Light Metallic Green with original white vynyl top. Paint job is new and looks great. Completely rust free. Starts and runs great. Sounds great too. Only thing it needs at this point is interior - carpet, seats, etc...

The spread in prices on these are mind boggling. I am not sure where to even start.

What would y'all price it at?

Thanks in advance!

hawkeye

We need a lot more info.  Is it a numbers car?  Do you have build sheet or fender tag?  How many owners?  Any options?  Do they work (ie A/C).  Also several pictures would help.   Is the interior going to need a complete restoration?  Seats and carpet are one thing, dash, gauges and wiring is something else.   Sounds like a nice car and should be worth quite a bit of money.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

pikeadam

It is a numbers car - original engine, transmission, etc.  I do have the build sheet and Fender tag is still in tact.  I am the third owner. I removed the A/C when I purchsed it 15-16 years ago because it was not working.

I have attached the only PIC I have in my phone. It's not a great one, but it's all I have for now. I can post some more tonight.

Thanks again for your help!

marshallfry01

I guess I'll take a shot at it.  Looks like a good car to me from the picture. Body lines look good and paint/top looks good too.  Since it still needs interior that won't get full restored price.  I'm gonna say 15,000-18,000.  Some of these other guys may have some more opinions on it.  Good luck with the sale!  I like that car.  :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

1974dodgecharger

thinking the same thing...15k or so.  Your selling point here is the matching numbers, build sheet, but the downfall is the 318.  The only person who is going to buy it is someone who plans to do a light restore back to originality.  The interior if its shot is gonna cost then new person some bucks to restore.  I once saw a 68 with complete interior original and all in great condition and paint original and all with the 318 with working air sell for 20k flat looks like yours in fact.

pikeadam

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate it.

BrianShaughnessy

$10K > $12K ?

It'd probably be worth more if the AC parts were still there even if it didnt work rather than just being missing.

Otherwise it's a 318 car that needs an interior   :shruggy:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

69 OUR/TEA

Nice car,GLWS !!!! Green interior ?????Location?????

pikeadam

Thanks! It does have green interior. Located in Nashville.

nvrbdn

the body (from what we can see) looks great. how is the wiring?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

pikeadam

Everything works fine. Just sat in it and listened to the radio!

The gas gauge is a little finicky...other than that, no issues.

nvrbdn

cool, that could be a big issue for the buyer. yes being a 318 will hold it back a little compared to a big block, but there are plenty of people looking for a clean charger and it seems you have one. good luck with the sale. if it were mine, i would want at least 12-14, put the interior together and go bigger.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

hawkeye

I would start out asking in the high teens.  I bet it won't be for sale long.

chargerboy69

Quote from: hawkeye on October 30, 2013, 07:04:23 AM
I would start out asking in the high teens.  I bet it won't be for sale long.

I agree, start in the high teens.  If it is solid, don't give it away for $10-$12.  You can always come down.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

1BAD68

I would start at 20-22k
Think about it, 99% of all big block mopars are beat to death and restored. Here you have a completely rust free 69 Charger small block car that you know hasn't been beat on.
They are not making these cars anymore and many of us couldnt care less about numbers matching or if it was a real R/T or not. So if it was me, I would stick to right around 18-20 grand

6spd68

Quote from: 1BAD68 on October 30, 2013, 08:43:45 AM
They are not making these cars anymore and many of us couldnt care less about numbers matching or if it was a real R/T or not.

Agreed, hence my build in progress.

In Canada, that car would fetch you 17-20K easily.  I'd agree with 1BAD68 and throw it up online for 22,000$ OBO and take something in the high teens  :cheers:
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Homerr

The calculus is complicated with one pic and a bunch of variables.   Here's how I would approach it:

$15k as a fresh painted car with complete interior and working A/C

+$1k for numbers matching, fender tag, build sheet (I'd put a larger $ value on this if it was an R/T)

+$1k for ~20 years of documentation

+$1k (additional) for documentation back to the dealer

+$3k for pictures documenting bodywork showing rust repair, or bare sheet metal with no rust in typical Charger rust areas

+$2k for pics/receipts from a decent paint shop (i.e. not a Maaco-level place)

+$2k for receipts from engine/trans work

-$2k for missing A/C parts

-$2k for complete but ratty interior (i.e. 'needs seats' means needs seat covers done)

-$3-4k for ratty interior with missing parts (i.e. 'needs seats' means it has no seats; and missing bezels, door panels, headliner, etc)

-$1k for engine compartment not painted

-$1-2k for poor general condition, i.e. chipped windshield, poor chromework, lights not working/cracked, electrical gremlins

-$1-2k for cracked/broken grill, incomplete/dented grill trim

-$4k if 'rust-free' means the paint shop told you it doesn't have rust (now that they catalyzed it and sealed it in bondo and fiberglassed the trunk floor) vs. above documentation method

The only thing that really concerns me is the original vinyl top.  It probably means the trim wasn't removed and the top peeled back for the paint job which is when the rear channel rust fun starts.  But if it has been garaged most/all of its life then maybe it's all good.  Pics of the interior, engine compartment, trunk, close-up of the paint would help a ton to determine the value.

pikeadam

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

UH60L

I agree with the others, start a little high and work down if you have to.  After looking at the picture, my first thought was low 20's, maybe start at $20,000.00 to $22,000.00 and see if you get any bites.

It also can come down to timing.  If you find the right guy, that really wants one, he might offer you far more than it's worth.

I got offered $20.000.00 cash for mine a few months after I bought it, a 318 car that had a 440/auto, unrestored, non - original seats, no carpet or headliner, and rusted out quarter panels and trunk floor and a bondo heavy right fender! (basically a drivable basket case)

Looking back, I really should have taken it and then traded up for one in better shape......    :brickwall:

marshallfry01

There was a bronze 69 charger on eBay about a month ago that was like this car. It was a solid 318 car that was daily driven. The interior was decent. It needed a drivers side seat cover. It was a non numbers 318, and was a factory ac car but had no components under the hood for the air. Yours has good paint and rough interior and the eBay car had good interior and needed a paint job. The buy it now went down to like 14,000 and I don't think it sold. It was a good car in my opinion. A good driver that needed finished up... Kinda like your car. I know yours is numbers matching, so it will help some. I'm still thinking its worth 15-18k like I posted earlier. I might be able to find the thread on the eBay car and put it on here so you can compare the two cars and prices. Again, I hope I helped out on your question! Good luck with the sale!!  :2thumbs: And the more I look at it, the more I want that car!
1969 Charger 383/auto

marshallfry01

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,104457.msg1243138.html#msg1243138  Here is the link for that bronze car in my previous post.  And this car is not an SE.  So that will bring more money for your car too  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto

Homerr

Check the B-body section on Moparts for what $19,500 will buy in a Charger.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 30, 2013, 11:35:20 AM
Yep Id ask $23,000

I agree! Theres plenty of 69's that are not road worthy but running good enough to drive onto a trailer for 10-12k.

Todd