News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power window wiring upgrade - relays

Started by Dino, October 30, 2013, 07:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Thanks Pete, I got a headache after reading those DEI instructions.  I should've warned you , my bad!

The module will be tied into an alarm system.  The whole idea of this particular module is that it turns the old Chrysler switch into a modern type one touch switch.  One module controls 1 left and 1 right motor, so I have 2 of these suckers!  Besides this feature, they also are prewired to mate to other modules, such as the alarm's brain.  With the alarm's remote, I will be able to crack all 4 windows or fully open all 4 windows.  Bu arming the alarm, all windows automatically close.

I'm a sucker for these gadgets, but this one is going to be a tough manual to rewrite!

Thanks for looking into this Pete.  Knowing that I have system C makes everything a bit easier.   :cheers:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

It does seem the DEI unit has the relay portion covered so is all that is left simply keeping the power out of the switches when not in use?  Can I use a constant 12v output on a self resetting 30 amp circuit breaker with the other end going to a Bosch type relay?  Then that output goes to the main yellow feed wire that splices to all switches? 

Pete in NH

Hi Dino,

You're making me read those DEI instructions again! I think from my reading of the DEI installation instructions the yellow wire main 12 volt feed in the old Chrysler wiring no longer suppplies power to the window motors. It looks like the DEI module has a RED 12 volt main feed wire that they want connected to a source of 12 volts that is available all the time for the alarm function to be active. It's not clear if the old yellow  Chrysler system 12 volt feed needs to remain in place to use to provide window switch signals to the DEI module. DEI might be providing the switch signalling voltage themselves, internally, or might be depending on the old system to provide them. It looks like you might need to call or email DEI for an answer to that one.

Dino

I haven't contacted DEI yet but I will.  When I look at that first diagram, it shows that red wire going to constant 12V, it has a 20 amp inline fuse on that wire by the way.  But when you look at the master switch, it shows 12V ignition.  The power window diagram on page 1 of this thread shows the tan wire splicing into yellow with yellow feeding power to every switch and tan going to instrument panel.  That's the same wire that goes to the ignition switch, and that is how it is shown on the Chrysler C bodyl diagram for 68 and 69.

Because my wiring came from a C body, I took the latter diagram and removed the vent window motors.  Since I had enough coffee on board, I colored it as well, nice and clear now!   :icon_smile_big:  

I also added the connectors on the yellow splice that were absent in that particular diagram.  The two pictures show the master switch where the 12 gauge tan wire starts and splices with the yellow wire which has a connector on the end.  That mates up with a connector going to a splice of 3 more yellow wires, feeding each switch.

As I see it, the tan wire goes to the ignition switch so to have keyed power.  Whereas the red wire from the DEI module goes to constant power.  If I see this right, the wiring is still set up as the original system.  You cannot operate the switches inside the car without turning on the ignition.  BUT the red wire provides constant power to the alarm feed which means you can operate the windows by remote only through that wire.  That way they can be rolled down a few inches to be in the vent position, or all the way down.  You can do either with the alarm on or off but as soon as you lock the car and arm the system, the windows will roll back up.

I will try to confirm with DEI but I think that's how it will work.  

So that leaves the circuit breaker.  With this setup there is no fuse or breaker between this wiring loom and the ignition switch which means there is constant power going into the switches as long as the ignition is turned on or the car is running, correct?  Is this where the factory relay is supposed to go?  EDIT:  I missed it on my own diagram!   :lol:  So yes the tan wire goes to the relay and then to the circuit breaker.  If I place a Bosch style relay on the tan wire going to the ignition switch, will that not take the load completely off the switches until I need to use them?

Since the red wire from the DEI module has a 20 amp blade fuse, can I omit the circuit breaker completely or do I still need one somewhere on that tan wire going to the ignition switch?

Pete in NH

Dino,

From the DEI drawing I'm taking it that the RED wire is now the power feed to the window system and that the yellow power wire of the original Chrysler system does not have to supply any real current. I think the power feed wire to the master window switch can no go to any source of 12 volts that is powered up with the ignition key on. It looks like that 12 volt source is now only a signaling voltage to the new DEI window module. My take on it that you can eliminate the original Chrysler 30 amp circuit breaker and relay.