News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 Upper Door Panel Pads, First Hand Impressions?

Started by TexasStroker, November 02, 2013, 02:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

Well, this is getting posted for one simple reason...The last 10 months or so I've been ready to order in upper door panel pads.  I've always waited for discount codes and the issue there is the parts are never in stock!  Here lately, I have been checking without codes and it seems Classic Industries just doesn't get these, or they sell out ridiculously fast.  I'll be getting a set in black for my 69.

I had planned on this one, with the discount:
http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/md705100.html

They also carry Legendary, which have always been in stock, but are discount exempt AND don't include the medallion:
http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/mb1982650.html

I've gotten so ticked off waiting on the cheaper option, I've about decided to just pull the trigger on Legendary's...This was sparked here recently when I realized the new front door panels I had put on not long ago were in fact from Legendary.

That said, I have been running under the assumption the "cheaper" ones Classic sells are most likely from B/E&A.  Does anyone know if this is correct?  If not, who makes them?  And how do they compare to the Legendary and BEA offerings?

If Classic's are in fact from BEA does anyone have first hand experience with both pads?  Which one seemed to be better quality?  I'm not as concerned with the grain texture matching 100% as I am getting something that is going to fit properly, look good, and last a long time.  I've seen a lot of threads on folks trying to match the saddle interior etc, but mine are just black.

If anyone has had experiences with both, first hand, I would love to know how you think they stack up...$315-$500 is a big jump in price and without seeing these side-by-side it is hard to know if that is justified, or just based on the name.

Assuming no one has that precious first hand experience with both, what do you have and how do you like them?  If this was $350 vs $400 I'd just go legendary...Classic's price has dropped on that first item from their catalog...I don't mind paying for quality, but I've yet to see either in person, or hear of fitment issues etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  I've kept the door panels off about 6 weeks now because I kept thinking I'd land the door panel pads :s  I'm ready to just get some in, cut some plastic for the driver's side, and button the doors back up.

Thanks again for any insights.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

doctor4766

I bought a pair of fronts from PG and I was mostly happy with them, until I opened the front vent window a few days later and the bottom of the handle contacted with  the pad and put a hole straight into it. Boy was I pissed.
Seems quite brittle if you ask me. I'm sure the originals wouldnt have been that weak.
Gotta love a '69

fy469rtse

I got mine from PG classics , my advice open up straight away , the rear top edges were damaged, I had put mine away in storage for a long time , sucks too much time has gone by to return them , I posted awhile ago that I could see slight bulges to we're the clips that hold them on, ? These wire thin clips seem to put pressure on the foam and cause them to bulge slightly,
The damage was caused by inadeqate packaging, not enough around the ends boxs miss handled
But other than that good quality,
I'm waiting to hear as well what other guys have done regarding the slight bulges to clip areas

AKcharger

I see Burnt orange advertised but always "out of Stock" I wonder if they even make them??

TexasStroker

Thanks for the feedback thus far!  I'd love to actually order in a set of each and do a head-to-head comparison, but lack the funds right now.

No clue on the burnt orange.  Classic's website is pretty bad.  I actually have to use google searches to find the items, sometimes even if I have the Part #.  That said, I still prefer them over Year One...just a personal preference there.

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Troy

I've seen BE&A (PG Classic) and Legendary side by side and posted my thoughts a while back. From what I remember, the BE&A looked less "puffy" and the molded line looked crisper. Both use incorrect vinyl because the original pattern doesn't exist these days. The BE&A parts come with medallions that you'll have to purchase from them any way if you go with the Legendary pads. I have not had a chance to install either. I don't remember the BE&A parts being cheaper than Legendary (thought it was the other way around) and I have no idea what brands Classic Industries is selling.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TexasStroker

Thanks for the info...

The medallions are an issue in terms of additional cost.  I've got the originals, but kind of want to keep them in-tact.

I'm assuming Classic is selling the parts from BEA/PG for the simple fact I don't know of anyone else making the pads, and the lines look similar.

I believe BEA lists them around $360 and Classic has them at $315...Legendary pieces are just shy of $500, although they are "legendary"   :lol: 

This is just one of those parts you wish you could walk in a store and compare for yourself.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

bull

Keep an eye on the "Discounts and Sales" sections for PG Classic sales codes. They send them out and I post them there pretty frequently. I just posted one for 20% off good until the end of the day.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,105932.msg1275523.html#msg1275523

TexasStroker

I would see that 2 days late, lol.  Ironically I'm listening to "10 Days Late" as I type that...

I may give it thru Thanksgiving, but I'd like to get something in and installed soon...still need to get some plastic for the driver's side door panel.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

bull

Quote from: TexasStroker on November 07, 2013, 05:22:22 AM
I would see that 2 days late, lol.  Ironically I'm listening to "10 Days Late" as I type that...

I may give it thru Thanksgiving, but I'd like to get something in and installed soon...still need to get some plastic for the driver's side door panel.

PG Classic has sales all the time. In fact...

Through Nov 12.

TexasStroker

Oh Happy Day!  The upper door panel pads are finally ordered!

I checked late Friday night when I got in from out-of-town and Classic had no stock, just like every time I seemingly check.  I was hoping BE&A would put a sale on for Cyber Monday, but I never saw anything and by the time I got home tonight it was too late to call etc.

I'd seen Legendary having a big sale, but went as far as to put the pads in the cart with no change and there were no codes provided, so I assume they're sticking to $499.

Last ditch effort I checked Classic, which was out Friday and Saturday and they had them...With their extended BF Sale I got 25% off which made them very manageable imo...The freight is still a joke though...when you deal daily with shipping you know when something is crap, and there is no way $30 needs to be involved to send something 15 hours on UPS.  Nonetheless, I'm happy to have finally landed a set.  If I hate these for some reason, I'll keep them long enough to do a comparison with what I get in...

I am interested to see the medallions on these...BE&A shows them with the orange/red perimeter and these look bare...My factory pieces match BE&As.  Due to the fact I'm unaware of anyone outside of Legendary and BE&A making these, I'm still hoping the Classic offerings are in fact BE&A pieces.

I will try to get some pics up when they come in as well as report back on the center.  I really feel for anyone with a non-black interior.  Despite how easy it is to update websites and swap out images, it is a nightmare looking for all the options in one place.  The same pad is used in virtually every listing, which is why I am holding out hope these have the correct medallions.

Coming UPS I should have them this week unless they take several days to ship them etc.
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

twenty mike mike

Do your Classic pads have medallions? Mine showed up last week without them.

Edit: Got a call from Classic Industries saying they'll send me a return tag for the ones they sent and the vendor (P.G. Classic, I suspect) will drop ship a new set with medallions direct. The issue is that the medallions require a "special technique" to install, so they didn't want to send the medallions separately. That's fine with me!