News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast & Furious 7

Started by Surf Charger, November 07, 2013, 02:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteI for one wouldn't bat an eye at this, seems like a logical way to go.
The cars they are destroying now are so caged up & reinforced it probably wouldn't take much more to just build an internal structure to hang sheetmetal on. It would also probably be easier to repair than to completely build another one. A internal cage is modular, cut off what is damaged & replace it. Design & build it once, than make as many as you possibly need. The blue prints would always be there.
Use the real ones for close up shots.

QuoteEarnhart died after slamming straight into a wall at 100+ mph in a caged race car, and IIRC he wasn't wearing a neck brace either. These stunt cars are also stiffened up considerably with caging. I don't care how many crumple zones a stock car body has, they're not going to save you from hitting a wall at that speed.

Yeah but I'm also moving at a zillion mph right now sitting on my ass at home just because the planet is moving.  Speed is relative to what you're passing up.  #3 Sr. got killed from a hit that only scrubbed off a small amount from his speed and shouldn't have been fatal in the 21st century.  People will never stop debating that wreck but the bottom line is that cars are much safer with more crumple zone metal.  A production unibody with a heavy internal rollcage in the cabin is really ideal for that. 

QuoteLet's face it, the number of "raggedy old Charger shells" and Mopars in particular are becoming harder to find. Even "if" they are just using base model cars, there are that many project cars now wiped out.

I think project cars are getting more expensive a lot faster than actually harder to find.  People have a way of complaining "I can't find any decent old (insert muscle car name) anymore!" just because they can't find a deal as good as they want.  You can go to Ebay and buy classic Chargers in various conditions all afternoon if you are willing to pay the going rate.   Hollywood does it every time they do another one of these movies. 

bill440rt

Shouldn't have been fatal but it was, most likely because he wasn't wearing a neck brace.
Yes, crumple zones and modern unibody construction is safer on today's street driven cars vs cars of the past, but how many race cars driving in a circle do you see with crumple zones like that of a street car?

Harder to find, getting more expensive, potato, potahto. It's all relative. Goes hand in hand.
Bottom line is that the cars are a small part of the movie budget, but a big part for the hobbyist. Hollywood can pay whatever they want. And the amount of project cars still diminishes. I totally don't see how that is a value to today's or tomorrow's hobbyist.

Perfectly OK we're on opposite ends of the spectrum.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JB400

On the debate of real car or stunt car, I'm thinking that the stunt car might actually be better for Hollywood.  With the stunt car, they can control the amount of actual damage a car takes in.  They'd have to build different types of stunt cars to fill the need of the stunt, according to the director, but that shouldn't be that hard to do.  Just a little engineering and then a few jigs.

Only downside I see is the politics of it.

Mike DC

QuoteShouldn't have been fatal but it was, most likely because he wasn't wearing a neck brace.
Yes, crumple zones and modern unibody construction is safer on today's street driven cars vs cars of the past, but how many race cars driving in a circle do you see with crumple zones like that of a street car?

Yes, valid point.  

But NASCARS now are the result of a big pile of design work in the aftermath of #3's fatal wreck.  Hollywood isn't gonna be doing that kind of design work custom-tailored to each car.  They have to build stunt cars out of Chrysler Imperials, Chevy Suburbans, early Mustangs, VW Beetles, etc.  Designs can be flexible but only up to a point.

I agree something flexible could be made although I don't think modern NASCARs are a realistic goal for it.  NASCARs are utterly consistent in everything from the shape of the car to the objects it's liable to hit.  (Imagine crashing a NASCAR upside-down into the water, and then trying to extricate yourself & swim out alive . .  even if you cut away some seat structure & cage bars that won't be a fun stunt.)

QuoteHarder to find, getting more expensive, potato, potahto. It's all relative. Goes hand in hand.
Bottom line is that the cars are a small part of the movie budget, but a big part for the hobbyist. Hollywood can pay whatever they want. And the amount of project cars still diminishes. I totally don't see how that is a value to today's or tomorrow's hobbyist.

My viewpoint rests heavily on the belief that these movies are creating today's and tomorrow's hobbyists.

We can disagree on it and that's fine.  I just happen to think this effect is huge, bigger than what we can easily see or measure.

I mean, F&F started 12 years ago.  12 years after "Dukes" began was 1991.  Who would have believed the General Lee had brought may new people into the classic Mopar hobby at that stage?  It didn't show for another decade until those kids got old enough to actually buy Chargers themselves.  (Then it became a "sudden trendy fad" to build a GL.)  

Ford didn't sell a Bullitt-edition Mustang in 1980.  Mopar wasn't parking VP-looking white Challengers on their dealerships in 1983.  12 years after the start of something you don't find the generation that it influenced building cars yet.  Some adult car guys might just say "Yeah that show was kinda cool.  Not realistic but it was goofy fun to watch."  You wouldn't guess the show had done anything for the future of the hobby at that stage.

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on November 11, 2013, 10:19:43 PM
Harder to find, getting more expensive, potato, potahto. It's all relative. Goes hand in hand.

Quite true. Hollywood cares little about anything except money. The "face" of Hollywood will squeal about all sorts of politically correct morality but to the executives it's bottom line only. Some producer and a seasoned stuntman or two somewhere would have to be convinced that a standardized stunt car is more financially practical because they wouldn't care otherwise. You might get somewhere pursuing the safety aspect if it costs more but even that would be a hard sell.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on November 10, 2013, 04:43:34 PM
, how many noticed it was a 69 Camaro hitting the dozers in Vanishing Point
I believe it was a 1967-68 as it had round fender quarters. Not that I know much bout Chevies or anything..... :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

"Can't find any decent project Chargers".....

Translation.....
They can't find any for CHEAP. As if they did, the FIRST thing they'd do is flip it for huge cash as these same flippers are what's caused $500.00 shells to become $2500.00 ebay 'project cars'....VERY FEW in the 14-25 year old age group are willing to spend 10-15 years bringing back a TRUE $500.00 project Charger. All want a minimal rust car so all they have to do is the fun sh*t.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Lmao...so true.

Quote from: Cooter on November 13, 2013, 07:13:13 PM
"Can't find any decent project Chargers".....

Translation.....
They can't find any for CHEAP. As if they did, the FIRST thing they'd do is flip it for huge cash as these same flippers are what's caused $500.00 shells to become $2500.00 ebay 'project cars'....VERY FEW in the 14-25 year old age group are willing to spend 10-15 years bringing back a TRUE $500.00 project Charger. All want a minimal rust car so all they have to do is the fun sh*t.

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Cooter on November 13, 2013, 07:02:28 PM
I believe it was a 1967-68 as it had round fender quarters. Not that I know much bout Chevies or anything..... :D

it was a 67, the only one with vent windows and no marker lights :D

bull

Here you go, a 69 Chevelle body on a Nascar chassis: http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/69-chevelle-99-nascar-chassis/

JB400

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on November 13, 2013, 09:24:12 PM

Don't let the Chevy guys look too much into that.  Chevy's are cheaper to wreck

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 13, 2013, 09:39:37 PM

not to mention first gen camaros are replaceable thanks to dynacorn.. so hollywood can wreck as many originals as they wish  :shruggy:

JB400

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on November 13, 2013, 10:03:13 PM

not to mention first gen camaros are replaceable thanks to dynacorn.. so hollywood can wreck as many originals as they wish  :shruggy:
I don't think that's a good idea.  Why not use the new repro's?

Mike DC

QuoteTranslation.....

Yes.

But I don't think the blame belongs just on 14-25yos.  Lots of people gripe that they "can't find any decent projects" from the cradle to the grave. 

Also, I don't think many middle aged guys would be so willing to engage in total restorations if they faced the circumstances that the majority of younger guys do.  Many restos take 7-15 years but they rarely were intended & expected to at the start.  A younger guy with no resources has to go into the resto basically intending & expecting it to take many years, probably several moves in residence, etc.   

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 13, 2013, 10:38:41 PM

the same reason they didnt use repo mustangs for fast and furious 6.... its easier to rebuild complete cars, it will be a pretty chilly day in hell before a movie calls up dynacorn, and various other companies to build a brand new car from scratch, when they could just call up a private owner from ebay and get a similar car for a 1/3 of the cost, i dont want to see vintage cars destroyed.. but i don't think its going to go away... not for a long time  :rotz:

1974dodgecharger

New pic posted on Vins sight that charger we saw as a 4x4 is not trashed per say.  He rebuilds the 70 charger in his garage, looks magnificent.

Mike DC

QuoteNew pic posted on Vins sight that charger we saw as a 4x4 is not trashed per say.  He rebuilds the 70 charger in his garage, looks magnificent.

link?

bull

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on November 14, 2013, 05:41:34 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 13, 2013, 10:38:41 PM

the same reason they didnt use repo mustangs for fast and furious 6.... its easier to rebuild complete cars, it will be a pretty chilly day in hell before a movie calls up dynacorn, and various other companies to build a brand new car from scratch, when they could just call up a private owner from ebay and get a similar car for a 1/3 of the cost, i dont want to see vintage cars destroyed.. but i don't think its going to go away... not for a long time  :rotz:

On the other hand, if it's all about money why use Chrysler products at all? Why buy a 69 Charger and go through all the work to transplant a Chevy 350 into it when you can just litter your movie with Chevys and already be one big step ahead?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 14, 2013, 12:15:19 PM
QuoteNew pic posted on Vins sight that charger we saw as a 4x4 is not trashed per say.  He rebuilds the 70 charger in his garage, looks magnificent.

link?

It's on my Facebook, mike let me see if i can download it.

Mike DC

QuoteOn the other hand, if it's all about money why use Chrysler products at all? Why buy a 69 Charger and go through all the work to transplant a Chevy 350 into it when you can just litter your movie with Chevys and already be one big step ahead?

Because certain Mopars are very popular and photogenic cars. 

Filmmakers want variety too.  A whole franchise full of the same couple of cars isn't as interesting. 

sixty-niner

Some of you need to realize that these movies are necessary to perpetuate the hobby and charger culture.  Alot of you had the luxury of seeing these cars everywhere, or even buying one as a younger man.  Those days will never return and I for one did not have the fortune of seeing any on the road.  I did however watched dukes of hazard growing up and thought it was the most amazing car I had ever seen , only problem was I had never seen one in real life.  When I graduated high school fast and furious came out and I was even more in love! (even though it was a 70  ;D) I needed to have one!!  No one likes the fact that they beat up cars in the show, but beating on a car is necessary to film a great chase scene!! They paid for them, they can do what they want , and they are being put to good use by perpetuating the hobby and charger culture instead of sitting in a field rusting or in some rich dude's climate controlled garage.  They are for all to see and enjoy.  We all love to see a great car chase on the big screen , especially if it has our beloved charger in it. ( be it from bullet, dukes, blade, or the fast series).  These cars will and have been immortalized with these films and I am stoked that the producers love mopars enough to cast them in (mustangs or cameros would be cheaper).  In my opinion the dodge charger is the poster boy of the muscle car world.  But it will cease to be if not for movies like these. 
Like others have said, seems like a small price to pay to bang up 6 chargers and get more movies and chase scenes starring our favorite action hero so that our children and childrens children will hold the same passion as all of us.   

bull

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 14, 2013, 03:20:42 PM
QuoteOn the other hand, if it's all about money why use Chrysler products at all? Why buy a 69 Charger and go through all the work to transplant a Chevy 350 into it when you can just litter your movie with Chevys and already be one big step ahead?

Because certain Mopars are very popular and photogenic cars. 

Filmmakers want variety too.  A whole franchise full of the same couple of cars isn't as interesting. 

Right. Therefore it's not all about the money.

Ghoste

I think sixty-niner that you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

bill440rt

I don't think anyone here is against chase scenes or having these cars featured in movies.
The argument lies in the destruction of them in films in today's day & age. And not just one or two, but a fleet of them as seen in this thread. And destruction meaning gone forever. That does little for the hobby when there are that many less cars out there to choose from.
A cage covered in AMD skins? Wreck as many as you want. I'll be first in line at the box office.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

Yes, thats a better way to put it.