News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Paint

Started by john108, November 04, 2013, 12:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

I will be painting an engine for my '68 Charger R/T within the next decade??
I do not know where to get the proper Turquoise color.  Below is a picture of my original engine wearing a 45 year old coat of paint.
I also included a picture of an engine, I just copied off this site today.  It looks freshly painted and it is difficult to determine if the paint is the same color, except for 45 years of wear.  Most of the adds that I see show a color that appears more blue.
The companies like Eastwood advertise 1968 Turquoise but they won't ship to California.
What is your opinion of the color match and suggestions on getting the correct color??

maxwellwedge

Turquoise is the proper color for a '68 440HP. Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson have the paint color nailed. http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/

bill440rt

:yesnod:

And I speak from experience that the Eastwood turquoise is waaaaaay off.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Pete in NH

I don't know how close it is to the original color but Mopar Performance has turquoise engine paint under Part number 4120752AB. Hopefully they got the color right on their own engine paint.

ODZKing

Quote from: Pete in NH on November 04, 2013, 09:04:54 AM
I don't know how close it is to the original color but Mopar Performance has turquoise engine paint under Part number 4120752AB. Hopefully they got the color right on their own engine paint.
Pete, if it is in the old style can ... it is most likely correct.  The new cans are WAY off.  I purchased a bunch of the blue for my 73 ... not even close.  I used the Duplicolor.
This is the old label I am referring to.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Pete in NH on November 04, 2013, 09:04:54 AM

They really never have gotten any color right - even the SRT8 engine color (which matches the late 69-71 Hemi color) was given to them by Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson

And - all the info given on the label above - so much of it is just plain wrong.....shame on Mopar for not doing their homework!

john108

Thank you all very much.
Hopefully I can only paint it once.

HeavyFuel

I used this stuff.  I sprayed a test on some of my linkage that had original paint.   Close enough, and it seems to be holding up nice.

http://www.hirschauto.com/

john108

Thank you HeavyFuel
Funny thing is that shipping cost as much as the paint, which is not cheap!

Hard Charger

I used the mopar Performance paint from Mancini
looks perfect

Lord Warlock

Not to jack the thread, but a similar question,  on a 69 dodge 440, what pieces should be orange, and which should be black? I took off everything from the water pump forward, plus the alternator and power steering pump, when i stripped the black paint off the power steering pump it was a copper color under the paint.  What color should the power brake booster and master cylinder be? I replaced it in the 80s and it is a zinc color right now, but showing minor rust in spots, if I need to remove it to repaint it black, i'll do it, the original booster i had when i got the car was black, the replacement wasn't black (got installed in a parking lot in louisiana when i worked off shore.)
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

bull

Brian (moderator Charger Bodie) uses turquoise 1988 Porsche M7 when he does a base coat/clear coat job on an engine. That's the direction I went.

The place that built my engine sent me home with a can of what was supposed to be Mopar turquoise but I tested it on a jack handle and it looked more like baby blue, so it's still sitting on the shelf.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Lord Warlock on November 12, 2013, 06:46:48 PM
Not to jack the thread, but a similar question,  on a 69 dodge 440, what pieces should be orange, and which should be black? I took off everything from the water pump forward, plus the alternator and power steering pump, when i stripped the black paint off the power steering pump it was a copper color under the paint.  What color should the power brake booster and master cylinder be? I replaced it in the 80s and it is a zinc color right now, but showing minor rust in spots, if I need to remove it to repaint it black, i'll do it, the original booster i had when i got the car was black, the replacement wasn't black (got installed in a parking lot in louisiana when i worked off shore.)

What kind of brakes....power disc or power drum?

P/S pumps and brackets, alternator brackets, pullies and motor mount brackets are black....dipstick tube - unpainted. Dipstick handle is black....everything else - including fuel pump - is orange....unless I am forgetting something....

Lord Warlock

power front discs power drum rear.  Pics of the 68 show the booster is black but the master cylinder is cast colored.  As for the black, is it supposed to be flat, satin or gloss black? 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

maxwellwedge

If power discs (front) you should have the Bendix style (tapered nose) booster. The entire booster with master, cap and bail was painted black. You would be safe to paint it and the pumps, brackets etc a semi-gloss black.