News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TB cross member not built right??

Started by green69rt, November 12, 2013, 06:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I recently tried to put my TBs back in my car while checking for fit.  The driver side went right in.  The passenger side was a b!!ch.   Checked and check for bent bars (no), front frame out of alignment (no).  Then I looked at the TB sockets in the cross member, the pass side looked cocked up.  Took measurements on the pass side and from the top of the socket to the top of the TB it was 1 1/4" on the front, 1 1/2" on the back side.  Driver side numbers are 1 1/4" front and back.  Is this right?? or did AMD give me a bad cross member?

69hemi

I've put a few of them in with no problems so I never measured that on them.  Have you tried contacting AMD with those dimensions for their advice?  With as much money they are spending on promoting their sheet metal I am sure if there is a problem they will want it solved.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

green69rt

Been working this problem for a couple of days.  Found that the TB sockets in the cross member had a pretty thick coating of EDP inside and it didn't look very uniform.  I sanded it out and then checked the ends of the old TBs for nick and corrosion (found some and sanded them smooth.)  Put everything together again and things look better.  Then I decided to set the front of the car up on blocks under the LCAs so the weight of the car was supported by the TBs.  Everything lined up almost perfectly as far as I can see.

I can see why I hear so much about folks having a bugger of a time getting old TBs out.  Between the flexing of the body, corrosion of the TB and sockets plus any slight misalignment, it's a wonder they come out at all!!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr