News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

tie down straps

Started by Highbanked Hauler, January 03, 2014, 04:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on January 05, 2014, 01:57:10 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on January 05, 2014, 01:48:18 PM
Quote from: Troy on January 05, 2014, 12:16:04 PM
This doesn't look safe at all...

Troy

Neither does this, although it is simple!  :lol:

All he needs to do is cross tie it and I think it would be fine. Cross tying does wonders to hold a car in place.
I was looking at it as far as tires going flat. One of those straps would pull right off in the position they are in.

The picture with the strap looped through the wheel: why would that be bad (other than trashing the wheel's finish)? With a matching set in the front I don't see how the car could come detached even if the tires went flat. It might be entertaining to see it bounce!

Other than the pain of crawling under/around the car, the biggest drawback to my current system is that it rubs the paint off the k-member and rear axle. Once my cars are complete this will become a bigger deal than it is now. Yes, I also know I can loop them around the lower control arms but then I have to worry more about abrasion. A permanent hook/ring would make the most sense but will only be possible on one or two of the cars because of the way it looks. As mentioned, I rarely tow drivable cars so maybe having to strap them down on the rare occasion isn't that big of a deal (for me).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

To eliminate the abrasion part of it, I purchased some tie down strap "sleeves" at a trailer booth at a swap meet. They are made out of soft sheepskin and went around the axle loops on the tie downs. No more abrasion.
For the fronts, I used some protectors made out of rubber that also slid over the straps. This helped with the sway bar link bolt that just seemed to be in the perfect spot to shred tie down straps. A few well placed rags also helped.
The whole tie down process became an ordeal which the E-track system eliminated.

The tire straps provide downward force to secure the car. The straps looped thru the wheel are pulling the car backwards at the wheels. Essentially the same if tied down like that in the front. Kinda like playing tug-o-war with the car directly at the wheels.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Old Moparz

This place was recommended to me several years ago & is where I purchased a package set of tie downs with a carry bag. They sell a lot of different tie downs so it may be worth a look.....

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/

I use the axle straps so I can't really comment on the over the tire ones, but I do know tire width is a factor when ordering them.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Highbanked Hauler

Tire width is what I ran into so I think I'll get creative with the bolt plates.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser