News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The new beginning; Elephant with wings.... Whatcha think?

Started by hemi68charger, November 15, 2013, 08:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

gettin' 'er done...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mytur Binsdirti

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 29, 2014, 06:03:36 AM
Looking good!  :2thumbs:

Thanks Mark........

She's far from a beauty queen having many miles on her since she was restored in '94, she has her blemishes... But all in all, she'll make a great looking show car...Hate the tranny lines, but it is what it is based on having to work around the headers. Once it's all said and done, I won't be seeing those puppies again.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Operation "Hemi Transplant" continues. Found a great spot for the tranny cooler. The mounting holes on the cooler couldn't have lined up any better. Just drilled a center hole and slightly adjusted the outers. The stack plate design of the B&M allows me to mount it off to the side. I hear it is like a heat sink, so as long as there is air flow, it cools. We'll see...there is air space gap between the cooler and z-bar....
Troy

Mytur Binsdirti

Have you thought about spacing the cooler out a couple inches & adding another another electric fan in front?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 04, 2014, 01:59:55 PM
Have you thought about spacing the cooler out a couple inches & adding another another electric fan in front?

I have an electric fan already, just not installed yet. Already wired up.....

Yes, I have been thinking about pushing the cooler out some. I'll get some extenders for those three studs...
Troy

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Daytona Guy

Just a thought - why not put it directly in front of the radiator? Any heat transferred will go through the radiator anyway, just more diluted, but the other all temperature will be raised the same. To get the heat created by the trany cooler out, if that is a concern, you may have to mount the cooler where it is not in the air path that leads through the radiator.

Dane

hemi68charger

Quote from: Daytona Guy on July 05, 2014, 02:43:08 PM
Just a thought - why not put it directly in front of the radiator? Any heat transferred will go through the radiator anyway, just more diluted, but the other all temperature will be raised the same. To get the heat created by the trany cooler out, if that is a concern, you may have to mount the cooler where it is not in the air path that leads through the radiator.

Dane

I am going to try it this way first. With all the air seals within the nose of a Daytona/Superbird, there's going to be air flowing through/around it regardless. I'm going to try it this way initially.....

Tranny cooler is in. May not be 100% perfect, but think it came out good. We'll see once I get fluid in her and running, hopefully no leaks... Mounted well and added a bumper on the top to prevent vibrations...

Troy

Stevearino

Nothin like lifting the hood and seeing those iconic valve covers staring back at you to get the goose bumps goin. Looks beautiful Troy. Picture perfect. :coolgleamA:

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

dyslexic teddybear

There's a reason a Hemi has the presence it does. :yesnod:

Looking great. :2thumbs:

Not that I need anymore reasons for a manual trans......but no trans cooler to worry about!

Daytona Guy

Hope it works for you. You did a fine job of fitment - well done. Love lookin at that motor.

Dane

C500

Good work Troy. That hemi looks beautiful stuffed in there too.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Mytur Binsdirti

How many miles did you put on it this weekend?     ;)

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

OK...... Project Hemi.... Got more done this weekend.. Change out the oil with VR1 40, lowered the car and adjusted the torsion bars, finished the ignition wiring, put the NASCAR rims back on and odds and ends. It is getting closer...
Troy

hemi68charger

More from the weekend... Nice having the car back on the ground.
Troy

Ghoste

Hemi Runner

It looks great, but being a drag racer I have to put my two cents in on the dangers of using rubber lines on tranny coolers especially when it's right in front of a steer tire. Driving on trans fluid is like driving on ice!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemi Runner on July 08, 2014, 12:22:27 PM
It looks great, but being a drag racer I have to put my two cents in on the dangers of using rubber lines on tranny coolers especially when it's right in front of a steer tire. Driving on trans fluid is like driving on ice!

Fair enough... Steer tire? The driver's front tire is to the rear and outside of the nose z-bar.......  I may swap out the cooler eventually for one that has a flare connection and utilize braided steel lines instead of the current rubber. I have to have some flexibility since I can't get the fit deadon with hard tube lines. I will stick with the hard lines I have now but replace the rubber with flare-ended steel braided lines.......
Troy

Ghoste

Hemi Runner, are you a truck driver by any chance?

hemi68charger

Well,
She lives !!! Man, I'm beat.............

First thing this morning I discovered no fuel was getting to the carbs, turned out to be a faulty fuel pump (damn expensive new Carter). I took out the fuel pump AND rod from the 440 that had been working perfectly. That did the ticket.........

I positioned the distributor where I thought it should be and low-and-behold, she fired up and ran before the first revolution of the started was completed !!! It was a very happy feeling..... Seems though I might have a small situation. There appeared a small leak of coolant coming out of the passenger side head gasket seam in the rear. After starting the motor a couple of times and running it, it has totally gone away.... I'll inspect it in the morning..... The motor has sat a couple of years since it's initial start-up by the builder....... I may remove the valve cover and retorque the head bolts........ We'll see...... All in all, she rans great..... Now I need to fine tune it and get the best I can out of idle....... The rear carb is a bad to adjust due to the angle of the fuel/air mixture screws and the front carb.....

Here's a video of Jacob cranking it up...... Sorry for the video quality..

The Elephant cranking up via Jacob
Troy