News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom Center Console

Started by TexasStroker, March 07, 2014, 04:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasStroker

So, I have seen this pop up a few times, but never with much in the way of finished projects.

I can recall a few that went with a JC Whitney type console that is basically just a storage bin with cup holders.  I can also recall seeing a few threads with started projects, but nothing finished.

Last year (I think) dkn had a deal going with a late model console and a black Charger somewhere in NY had a nice one, but I believe was up for sale.

A custom center console is something I have wanted to do for a long time...I have the ideas of what I want, just lack the skills with wood to easily transition that from my mind to reality.  I suppose if shop class wasn't spent "waiting on the wood to show up" we might have gotten past the basic cuts required for a night stand.

Anyway, does anyone actually have a full on custom center console?

My vision is basically from the dash down and terminates where the factory console does.  I would tie in some custom lighting, concealed plugs, and good storage.  An arm rest would be nice, but the only way for it to be aesthetically pleasing is if I tied it in like a buddy seat and had it fold down etc.  I would want the double din recessed in below the ash try and my only other requirement would be fitting it around my B&M Shifter.

The current set up is the factory console minus the shifter plate...Thanks to the interior being black it actually blends quite nicely and most don't notice...Plus, the gap between the console's storage and B&M perfectly houses a water bottle, lol.

I would like to see any finished projects and thoughts from the driver etc...Ie what they wound up not liking about it and what they would do differently.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

sanders7981

:popcrn:  not yet.... But I am planing to do one.  Since I am not going 100% factory! I am thinking about fabricating one out of wood than covering it with matching vinyl and adding some cup holders. 

TexasStroker

www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

myk

Quote from: TexasStroker on March 21, 2014, 04:23:15 PM
Nobody else?

I "think" DC.com member and local celebrity "Mr. Angry" (NYCMille) has a custom console; you might want to ask him.  Check out his console in this collection of pictures; I would mount that in my car ANYTIME:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/744737/1968-dodge-charger/
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

TexasStroker

Hmm, that one does look pretty good.  I think I may know the vendor.  Last I knew I thought the car just had one of the little classic car consoles.

I've been hitting up a few suppliers and manufacturers and have found 3-4 options...just have to pick one out, or opt to make my own.

I am amazed at how hard it is to find anyone that has deviated from stock.

My factory shifter had seen better days and I popped for a B&M.  I've just run it "inside" the factory console with the top plate off since I made the switch.  It actually blends in given the interior is black and the divider between the shifter area and storage portion works perfect for water bottles, lol.  It has just remained something I have wanted to take care of and customize.

Thanks for the lead...
www.lonestarmopars.com
Contact me for info!

Dino

I had planned on using a stock console with real wood veneer top, hidden cup holder and hidden touchscreen but had to drop the latter idea.  It'll fit now but once I swap the 727 for a T56, that space is gone and it'll be hard enough keeping the stock console with the extra mass under the car.  The screen will be in the ashtray now.

I think so few change the console because it is a lot of work and it rarely looks better.  With cars like Mr. Angry's or Velocity's everything inside is changed, so it all matches.  An autozone console in an otherwise stock Charger looks horrible.

I do like your plan and it's very doable.  Don't use wood though, use MDF.  Buy poster board to make templates, it's stiff, light and thin and very easy to work with.  Once those pieces fit then you transfer it to MDF and make the console itself.

I am adding a buddy seat armrest to my car which will lay over the top of the console without touching it.  You can even just install the whole buddy seat and make the console end at the seat part.  The limit is your imagination.

Get a pencil and paper and start designing.  :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

Quote from: TexasStroker on March 23, 2014, 02:29:29 AM
Hmm, that one does look pretty good.  I think I may know the vendor.  Last I knew I thought the car just had one of the little classic car consoles.

I've been hitting up a few suppliers and manufacturers and have found 3-4 options...just have to pick one out, or opt to make my own.

I am amazed at how hard it is to find anyone that has deviated from stock.

My factory shifter had seen better days and I popped for a B&M.  I've just run it "inside" the factory console with the top plate off since I made the switch.  It actually blends in given the interior is black and the divider between the shifter area and storage portion works perfect for water bottles, lol.  It has just remained something I have wanted to take care of and customize.

Thanks for the lead...

If you don't mind, please share those options that you've found.  Do you know where Mr. Angry's console is from?  I drove without a console in my car for 20 years.  I finally got an OEM one that's in OK shape, but it's fragile as heck, and with all of the enormous bulk the OEM console has, I can never put any weight on it or use it to hold any cups.  LAME...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

twodko

I like to see Mr. Angry's custom console between OEM seats. That console is beautiful IMO and might
just looks tits in a stock cabin.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!