News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEED HELP FOR STORING CHARGER IN WINTER

Started by ajay716, December 05, 2013, 10:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajay716

hey guys i had a plan to my 73 charger that i just got in a garage over the weekend, but apparently my person cant do it anymore  :shruggy:. so i went out and bought a portable garage 10x17. now im wondering what the best setup for this  is. on pavement or grass? im sure pavement but im not sure thats an option either. basically what i want to know if is is possible to use a pretty waterproof carport on grass without it rusting, such as if i put a tarp down under the car and secured it so water wouldnt come thru the bottom? or would moisture still come up? and if i could put it on cement would just the carport be sufficient? its pretty much waterproof on top and the sides its just the moisture coming from the bottom im worried about. any fool proof ways to prevent the rust when using a portable garage if storing on grass? please help im hoping the tarp will work. but all answers are very much appreciated.
1973 Charger SE Brougham Numbers Matching
400 C.i.

ajay716

yeah so im thinking if i have the portable garage(it can be fully enclosed) somehow fasten a tarp on the bottom connected to the sides of the garage so no puddles could be in there, and also getting 2 sets of the blitz rhino ramps that raise up about 6-8 inches...i figure if any humidity does get on the bottom of the tarp that would be enough distance for it not too rust as fast. let me know what you guys think because im trying to set this up tomorrow before.
it is also a possibility that i can set it up on gravel...how would that work with a tarp? i know its late but please get back to me asap i just got this car and i dont want it to rust before summer!!111 :angel: bumppppp
400 C.i.

JB400

You could lay some cement blocks down that would act like a garage floor.  You would want the thinner ones that are about 3 in. thick and solid.  Gravel would work as well.  Just something that would allow any moisture inside to drain away.  I don't think I'd bother with putting a tarp down (or a large sheet of plastic) unless your temp. garage was sitting in a valley or where a lot of water runs through from runoff.

ajay716

should the blocks be placed together or spaced a little apart? i mean as far as moisture goes, but if i cant do the blocks(idk if hed let me ruin all that grass that bad) would the tarp work?
400 C.i.

JB400

Leaving a little bit of a gap would be fine.  It'll definitely allow moisture to seep down away from the car.  As far as killing the grass, no matter what you do, you'll kill the grass.  Just throw some grass seed in that area next spring or find a new place where they won't worry about that.

4cruzin

I would also do a google search to see if there is reasonable storage anywhere by you . . . I have 5 vehicles and 4 watercraft  . . . and sad to say a 2 car garage.  I also live in a subdivision where I cannot store anything outside other than my daily drivers.  I found a nice pole barn close to me to store some of the boats for 100 dollars each which covers the whole winter!  Way better than sitting outside!   :Twocents:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

68 RT

I would worry more about mice. They can cause all kinds of damage. But some of those snap together tiles tehy use on garage floors to park the car on. Also cove it with a good outdoor car cover. Do not tarp the car, tarps will hold in moisture. Take the batery out and put it on a trickle charge( Battery Tender). Paked on cement and the outdoor garage should be ok.

ajay716

thanks so much guys, dont really wanna store because it doesnt havent plates and im going to be working on it over the winter, but thanks for the block suggestion i will make a whole floor of cement plates with little crackings in between to have some moisture go out, but in theory wouldnt the cracks let some moisture actually into the garage? if i put them as close as possible wouldnt that stop the moisture from the grass coming in because it is all covered? sorry im naive when it comes to this stuff lol thanks so much for your help
400 C.i.

charger490

put the blocks down than get some heavy plastic and cover it that go and look for some one throwing there rugs away and put them on top of the plastic.also put some bounce fabric sheets in your car to keep the mice out.