News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can i swap the sway bar in the driveway?

Started by euroZ06, September 14, 2014, 05:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

I dont have access to a lift or a jack, but i wanted to replace front sway bar. It seems that i can fit under the car...

Its a 73
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

Ghoste

Yes, it can be done easily in your driveway.

bordin34

Im not sure if you can do it without a jack. I'm pretty sure the wheels will get in the way. The best way to do it would be with jack stands under the control arms.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: euroZ06 on September 14, 2014, 05:24:47 PM
I dont have access to a lift or a jack, but i wanted to replace front sway bar. It seems that i can fit under the car...

Its a 73

You can do it but if you are involved with these cars a good quality  jack and stands is a real help..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

1974dodgecharger

how small do you have to be to do it?  Seriously get some jack stands and jack it up and do it unless your a midget and weight 50lbs or something then I can see how you can semi get under the car.

euroZ06

Ok,

So ive done it today, but luckily i was able to do it in my buddys garage with a jack... If it wasnt for him, i wouldnt have been able to! The sway bar id addco (or something of the sort), i didnt buy it, but the previous owner included it with the sale (new in the box). First it was a pain in the ars to take out the stock one, the bolts were all rusted and some had to be sawn off. Here is my beef with the new sway bar kit: it is not a bolt on! Modifications need to be made to the spacer (eventually i had to cut them in half, but it was trial and error and took 3 attempts to get the right size). Second, the long bolts were waaaay to long, prob about 8 inches. We eneded up running to the store to get 6 inch bolts. I find this highly inconvinient, and i believe whoever manufactured the kit should have done the measurements. I mean wrong size bilt and wrong size spacer! Wtf! If i was doing it my driveway and didnt have access to another vehicle and cutting tools i would have been sol! Booo, addco, boo!

fy469rtse

Good keep that friend lol glad it worked out ,
You have learnt the lesson of having an able friend to help out, and what my seem like a simple project doesn't always work out that way,

bordin34

I had the same problem about 5 years ago and emailed addco telling them the proper bolts and sleeve length. I guess they never changed it.

Mahwah,NJ

euroZ06

Quote from: bordin34 on September 18, 2014, 08:05:47 AM
I had the same problem about 5 years ago and emailed addco telling them the proper bolts and sleeve length. I guess they never changed it.

Is the one in the rear going to be the same problem? I wanted to get that one bolted in my driveway too lol. I dont have to deal with taking the original one off.

73rallye

Pretty much. I was going for factory original look so I pulled mine off, blasted, por15 and new bushings all around. Your car will need to be up on stands again.

bordin34

I havent been able to figure out how to mount the addco rear bar.

Mahwah,NJ