News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pair of daytona's

Started by chargerman69, December 13, 2012, 02:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Quote from: Aero426 on December 14, 2012, 10:32:06 PM
John, I have the original of that photo.  I can get you a hard copy if you like.   There are several different shots of the cars.  
Doug,
I would like any hard copies of the Daytonas that you have! When you look close at these pictures the Daytonas had already been there a while and moved at least once. The reason I say this, is look at the lower right quarter panel behind the wheel on the R4 red Daytona and you can see the panel pushed in. There was a BIG problem for the salvage owner with this group of cars! He told me that a guy would come in for a part lets say a 440 carb. The yard guys had strict orders not to sell parts off the impounded cars! We'll if the guy couldn't find one on the other cars they would often sneak and take parts off. If you look close the R4 Daytona's antenna is missing and the B5 Daytona's antenna is broke off about 2 inches above the fender. At this point the B5 Daytona is already on the ground missing it's wheels and tires! That's why the restoration was so tough on the bottom end parts! I'm just amazed at how well the floors held up! The car had signs of water about half way up the starter housing!
Thanks! Mopar John

chargerman69

moparstuart

Quote from: Mopar John on December 14, 2012, 11:03:34 PM
John, I have the original of that photo.  I can get you a hard copy if you like.   There are several different shots of the cars.  
Doug,
I would like any hard copies of the Daytonas that you have! When you look close at these pictures the Daytonas had already been there a while and moved at least once. The reason I say this, is look at the lower right quarter panel behind the wheel on the R4 red Daytona and you can see the panel pushed in. There was a BIG problem for the salvage owner with this group of cars! He told me that a guy would come in for a part lets say a 440 carb. The yard guys had strict orders not to sell parts off the impounded cars! We'll if the guy couldn't find one on the other cars they would often sneak and take parts off. If you look close the R4 Daytona's antenna is missing and the B5 Daytona's antenna is broke off about 2 inches above the fender. At this point the B5 Daytona is already on the ground missing it's wheels and tires! That's why the restoration was so tough on the bottom end parts! I'm just amazed at how well the floors held up! The car had signs of water about half way up the starter housing!
Thanks! Mopar John
those salavge  yards and industial area around were in a really bad flood plain that wasnt fixed untill the late 90's when they concreted the river that ran next to them
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

Quote from: chargerman69 on December 14, 2012, 11:25:39 PM
no problem Pic is sent
I received an e-mail with your picture! Thanks!
While we have some interest going here I would sure like to find out where the black bucket seat interior went out of the red Daytona!
The reason is obvious, the broadcast sheet may have been in that back seat!
Mopar John

Mopar John

Quote from: moparstuart on December 15, 2012, 07:43:25 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on December 14, 2012, 11:03:34 PM
John, I have the original of that photo.  I can get you a hard copy if you like.   There are several different shots of the cars. 
Doug,
Thanks! Mopar John
those salavge  yards and industial area around were in a really bad flood plain that wasnt fixed untill the late 90's when they concreted the river that ran next to them
Stuart,
That may have been another reason why the impound cars may have been moved around the yard? I was told they were moved up front after some unauthorized parts came up missing also!
Mopar John

Mopar John

MOPAR JOHN'S BARN FIND R4 DAYTONA!
 It seems to me that almost every old car that has sat around for a while is now called a "BARN FIND" ! So having this R4 Daytona sitting in one shop or another over the last 31 years should qualify it as a barn find! The truth of the matter is that raising a family, a divorce and lots of drag racing put the best of intentions on the back burner. Parts were bought over the years and it's sister car was restored to a much higher OE level than planned also! One of our members here djcarguy always has asked for pictures each time this R4 Daytona comes up! So today I will share a few pictures and thought's on this awesome bit of history! I purchased this Daytona and hauled it out of the Kansas City junkyard in April of 1982. This was almost 31 years ago!!! WOW does time fly! The first picture shows the passengers side Quarter panel area. The first thing to note is that the same junkyard dent is still in the bottom of the quarter panel behind the back tire! Notice the original paint, cracked original decal and the original 4 section red reflector! You can also look at the Daytona lettering in the decal and decide what type of font it is! The second picture is of the passengers door. You'll noitce the original red paint, door handle with chrome button and flat outside edge! The third picture is of the passengers front fender! This is another original Daytona fender that was restored by a local shop years ago. The original R4 fender was restored and used on the B5 Daytona restoration! The nose is still off the Daytona. It was removed to get the fenders off. Soon I plan to spray some R4 paint on the fenders and reassemble the nose and make the Daytona complete once again! The last picture shows the lower side of the R4Daytona. Things to notice are the lower pinch weld being painted black and the original exhaust system still hanging under the Daytona! YES, that is an original date coded HEMI style muffler still with the Daytona! I have gathered a lot of nice used and NOS for this Daytona. I also have had the rear glass polished to perfection. The front fenders and front lower valance have been restored also! So I hope you enjoyed this little "BARN FIND" Story!
Mopar John

chargerman69

I like the Pic'S John, i think it wood be shop find/junkyard, it's amazing how theres still  unrestored daytonas, i no guy with two and a superbird

70Sbird

Aweesome pics John, I cant wait to see some more
:2thumbs:
It's just hard to believe that this was a "junkyard" car back then, It looks like a nice solid project.
But, I also have to remember how I cut up a few cars in the 80's for being "too far gone" that today I would have no problem jumping in on!!!
:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Scott Faulkner

DC_1

tan top

:coolgleamA: :drool5:   good pictures  MJ  :yesnod:  would love to see more  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

djcarguy

THANKS,for shareing love the wing cars,in any shape. personally wood spend more time looking at and talking to owner of wing car like this  one. anyway thanks again and good luck on all your cars. :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:

djcarguy

:popcrn: :popcrn:  any more info or pics of other side???    ???     thanks dj :2thumbs: :drool5:

Coronet440

Back in about 1979-1980-81 there was a blue Daytona with a white wing that sat in a yard just outside Greensboro Maryland. It was there for quite awhile. I was young but remember laughing about it with my grandparents because I thought it was so funny looking. Years later my wife opened up a business in Greensboro so I had her ask about it. One man recalled seeing it but did not know who the owner was. I have always wondered where it ever ended up. Just wanted to throw it out there to see if any of you guys had ever heard about it.

djcarguy

djcarguy

Howdy Mopar John ,have not bugged ya bout red tona for 6 months??  so just wondering?? know ya busy with S-Bird restore, so just checking?? :cheers: :cheers: :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Quote from: djcarguy on July 25, 2014, 03:40:44 PM
    Howdy Mopar John ,have not bugged ya bout red tona for 6 months??  so just wondering?? know ya busy with S-Bird restore, so just checking?? :cheers: :cheers: :popcrn: :popcrn: :2thumbs:
djcarguy,
I have been busier than a firecracker on the 4th of July!
My daughter got married two weekends ago and we just wrapped up the Superbird for Carlisle!
Last night I went to Route 66 Raceway for a test and tune night and get my NHRA credentials updated!
My newly wed daughter and son in law were back from their honeymoon to cheer me on!
This morning I'm unloading the racecar and loading the B5 Daytona for a ride up to Detroit.
We have been invited to participate in the St. Johns Inn Concours D' Elegance!
I spent two days last week prepairing the Daytona for the show! All it needs is a last minute dust off.
I did pass by the R4 Daytona a couple of times this week!
My next project will be to do a serious sort of all my left over parts and see what can be used on the R4 Daytona?
Thanks! MJ

69_500

John, you know I will be pestering you to sell me the R4 car this weekend right? I mean why else did I make sure to book a room at the same hotel as you?

chargerman69

Na John should sell R4 to me here in canada

held1823

he could just part it out, so i can fix mine
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053