News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger manual steering to power

Started by comet_666, December 20, 2013, 04:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

What all do I need as far as parts go? Or should I just leave it alone and get a workout  :icon_smile_cool:

Ghoste

Pump, hoses, brackets to install pump, power steering gear and the power steering column.

A383Wing

column is the same..no need to look for one

Hard Charger

the column is a different size.

a power steering column is shorter by a few inches.

A383Wing

Quote from: Hard Charger on December 22, 2013, 07:10:03 PM
the column is a different size.

no it's not....again, the columns are the same, just extend or tap the shaft back in that connects to gear box....it's a collapsible column, designed this way so it does not impale the driver when in accident

Ghoste

You sure?  For 30 years I've been going under the impression that power steering columns were shorter.  This is what I was taught.

adauto

You can tap them into place. Its for impact absorb in the event of an unfortunate situation.....
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Ghoste

Soo after you tap it up to make it shorter for a power steering setup, what happens in an accident as far as the collapsing ability?

Ghoste

I guess I'm also now curious as to why there are two different part numbers in the 69 parts catalog?  Chrysler lists one for a power steering column and one for a standard steering column.

A383Wing

Quote from: Ghoste on December 22, 2013, 08:10:34 PM
Soo after you tap it up to make it shorter for a power steering setup, what happens in an accident as far as the collapsing ability?

it still collapses in case of accident.....

I have changed many from manual to power steering, and vice-versa...just tapped the inner shaft that connects to the gearbox in or out

Ghoste

Hard Charger

2 different size columns.
I got both of them side by side. Changing the 68 to power steering.

raises another question.... why is there then a column extender marketed when you go to manual from power steering?
just wondering?

A383Wing

Quote from: Hard Charger on December 23, 2013, 04:42:30 PM

again, no they are not...I can't tell you how many changeovers I have done without changing columns...same column will work in both applications....

Ghoste

I still don`t understand why they would make the two different ones if one will work?

Hard Charger

Steering Column Adapter

Connects a manual steering box to a power steering column

CA0.....$125  
http://www.firmfeel.com/img/columnadapt.jpg

There has to be more to it than just sliding the shaft in and out from power to manual length columns.

kokxville

Quote from: A383Wing on December 23, 2013, 06:32:55 PM

again, no they are not...I can't tell you how many changeovers I have done without changing columns...same column will work in both applications....

How many times do you have to answer this question A383Wing? Aparently 4 times isn't enough,jeez... :eek2:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Ghoste

No one is saying he didn't do it.  But why two columns from the factory? 

captaindodge

I think one column is for automatic trans and the other for standard transmission.

Ghoste

No the listing is for power and manual steering.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: A383Wing on December 23, 2013, 06:32:55 PM

Good to know as I am pretty sure I am going to put a Borgeson power box in the 500. With 275-60s on front it sucks to get it into a parking spot anywhere and a 90 degree turn is one full revolution plus I want to use a fast ratio pitman and idler arms too.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Hard Charger

Hey Comet

There appears to be a couple ways to deal with the column on your change over to power steering. Buy a power steering column or modify your manual column.

Take a look at the pictures, the smaller column is certainly purpose built smaller. Its your call on how you want to do it. On my car I choose to buy the purpose built part.

comet_666

2Luke2

Comet, we are going to be changing from power steering to manual steering in the next couple of weeks. Depending on what condition your column is in maybe we can talk about a trade?

The Mopar Kid

You'll need to have a 12 pack of Budweiser too, the problem  is when you remove your column, you'll have to cut you turn signal wires because the bulkhead doesn't slide through the column. You'll have to remove each wire carefully from the bulkhead so it will  accept a new turn signal harness.

Ghoste

You can just disconnect them.  Or maybe I'm not folllowing your meaning properly?

Hard Charger

wires should unplug. manual or power steering. Console shift anyways.

not sure about a column shift.