News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger 340?

Started by DTFTH45, June 27, 2012, 11:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTFTH45

Id have to say my favorite muscle car is the 1968 Dodge Charger, however...I do not have one yet. I really like the 340 motor as well, which I do not have either. As I understand, the '68 Charger was never offered with a 340, so if I were to get one without a motor, would it be sac-religious to put a 340 in? Would the 340 be sufficent to get the big car moving fast? Thanks

Ghoste

bull

Before I bought my 68 I went to look at a 69 with a 340, and went for a ride in it. It was pretty much stock (mild cam, etc.) and it went like hell. The 340 did bug me a little since it wasn't stock but there was no problem with performance from my perspective.

They put slant sixes and 318s in them so a 340 will obviously pull a Charger fine. I guess it boils down to how much grief you want to get about it from the "experts" out there. Nobody gripes about the 440 and if I had to choose between the two in a Charger I'd just as soon choose the 440. There are a lot more parts available for the 440 too, so that may be a factor in your decision.

moparstuart

put the 340 or 360 in it and badge it as a 318 and no one will ever know or  hassel you . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

I knew a guy with a very hot 340 in a 69 B-body and he put one of those Holley 500cfm two barrels on it and told everyone it was a 318.

Toretto

Quote from: DTFTH45 on June 27, 2012, 11:54:08 AM
Id have to say my favorite muscle car is the 1968 Dodge Charger, however...I do not have one yet. I really like the 340 motor as well, which I do not have either. As I understand, the '68 Charger was never offered with a 340, so if I were to get one without a motor, would it be sac-religious to put a 340 in? Would the 340 be sufficent to get the big car moving fast? Thanks

Thank you for this question. And answers :)

c00nhunterjoe

340s cost more to build then a 360. Why spend the money on a 340 to put it in a car it never came in, just to tell everyone its something else? My 2 cents says build a mild stroker out of a 360, something in the upper 300 to very low 400 cubes. That will be reliable, and make VERY good power. Then your bragging rights of "my little 318 just spanked your mustang" are valid

myk

Don't get hung up on the specific "motor" that you're installing.  If your primary goal is to get the car to move fast then there are plenty of engines that will do that, at varying degrees of cost and complexity...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

JR

Why worry what anyone thinks about it? Build it the way you want and enjoy.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Ghoste

polywideblock

yeah old thread    :yesnod:

I'll just say that having a 340, they punch  way above their weight (stock vs. stock )

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Cncguy