News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-70 4 speed cars

Started by h76, May 19, 2015, 08:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h76

What would you guys value a 68-70 4 speed car over and above a comparable automatic? Let's say a complete car, but a project type car.

Troy

Depends on what else the car had from the factory but it seems like it's usually about 10-25%. A Hemi, wing car, or something along those lines could be much more.

Sometimes a project is a lot more up front just to get into it. Most people know what it costs to "convert" an auto to a 4-speed so if all the parts are there it could be half or more of the total value of the car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

F8-4life

Besides price, another factor is 4 sp projects are also that much harder to find.
Unless you have some good cash saved, that makes the search easier.

Ghoste

The cars being comparable I would agree with Troy's 10-25% estimate.  It would depend on the number of four speeds within that variant that make the difference between high and low.  For example a four speed 68 Road Runner wouldn't pull a tremendous amount more money than a 68 automatic version.  A Hemi 70 Road Runner convertible on the other hand...

1974dodgecharger

now these days its easier to convert over to 4 speed so I think it has brought down the value a bit much.....who really cars if the fender tag saids 4 speed vs someone who put one in?

I used to say my car was one of 259 of the 383 4 speeds, but now you have guys wo say, 'yeah I converted mine over'.....

Ghoste

It matters to more than you think would be my guess.  :Twocents: :shruggy:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on May 19, 2015, 08:58:31 PM
now these days its easier to convert over to 4 speed so I think it has brought down the value a bit much.....who really cars if the fender tag saids 4 speed vs someone who put one in?

I used to say my car was one of 259 of the 383 4 speeds, but now you have guys wo say, 'yeah I converted mine over'.....

It does matter if you are trying to represent it as a factory 4-speed vs a converted 4-speed Charger when selling it.
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Troy

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on May 19, 2015, 08:58:31 PM

A LOT of people care. And I don't think it has really affected the value at all (people have been sticking 4-speeds in cars practically since they were new). Just like sticking in a Hemi - the real one will always be more desirable/expensive.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.