News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

six-tee-nine's restoration--update 05/19/2015--first fresh paint

Started by six-tee-nine, December 31, 2013, 08:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

six-tee-nine

Update...
Jeezes, I'm more in the shop than behind my computer these days. Only way to ever get her done I guess.

Anyway, finally got the whole shell blasted in my home made blasting cabinet wich was no more than a tent wrapped in plastic foil. Rented a blaster and a diesel powered compressor an went ahaead.
All went well and we are in full epoxy primer as of this week.
The UPS dude dropped of my torque boxes and the subframe connectors today. These will go in in the next upcoming weeks.
I also sprayed the first body color onto the cowl area so I can relocate the upper cowl panel next week.
All work at therear of the car is done, trunk floor and extensions are in (seems I only have a picture of the trunk floor from underneath...)

The sad news is that the roof did'nt make it. It was already severely pitted from the vinyl top. So to get it clean I had to put some force on it to get it clean wich warped it and it also hat too many pinholes. I will put a new roofskin on the car probably after the paint and underbody coating on the underside is done. Then I'm taking the car of the rotisserie and have better acces to the roof panel.

[imghttp://s26.postimg.org/xqs12tq55/DSC01355.jpg]http://[/img]

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

kokxville

1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

six-tee-nine

Not all that much done lately to show alot of pictures. got the subframe connectors and the torque boxes in. Smoothed out the engine bay and trunk floor so they are almost ready for final blocking and paint.
Took the roofskin of this week....
I ordered a new one and some piece of floorpan wich I found too bad to keep and patch up afterall. Roof is sea freight so wont arrive till mid february....
gonna start cleaning up the fenders and doors, rebuilding the door hinges and stuff in the meantime, so by springtime next year I hope to paint the underside and the inside so I can put the body plugs in place and shoot the undercoating on.

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

fy469rtse

Good work ,  :2thumbs: lots of progress ,
See I said it early that this one was in good hands

six-tee-nine

While waiting for the sea freight to arrive I started messing around with other stuff.
I have rebuild the door hinges, used the pin kit with new springs from Jamie at Mega Parts who is a super nice guy to deal with and really went the extra mile to help me out shrinking the package to keep the shipping costs to a reasonable level.
Then went ahead with the fenders and doors. I have 2 nice fenders with no rust, however, the front end of both of them have a huge dent wich was bondoed up. To get rid of that dent I needed to tear the inner structure out wich gave me acces the the outer panel. I needed to hammer out the dents, weld up some cracks afterwards and ended up smoothing the area out with lead.
In the end I did'nt seem to have taken pictures of the process, but I guess thats what happens sometimes when your going full steam ahead.
Then I gave both the fender and the inner panel a coat of epoxy primer before piecing the parts back together.

The left door I started with is a spare door wich I got with the car since the original door was bashed up and would need to be replaced. This is a mint condition door, at least that was what I tought till I started stripping the paint. Well, since I start to get the hang on metal repairs lately I went ahead and fixed it.
All in all a nice door...

Soooo finally got a mail last week that my roof shell arrived, so a 3 hour road trip it was..... jumped in the van and drove into the Netherlands and hauled the box home. I saw a nice 69 Charger when I arrived but did'nt got the chance to pull py Phone for a picture, sorry guys.

So we're moving along again now.... and I hope I can get some extra time in the shop because I had a bad winter. I have never been down by illness ever that much as this winter. And after a daytime job when not feeling well the couch wins over the cold shop. I'll take summer time over anything else please....

Cncguy

Nice work! It's so motivating seeing progress on other members cars.

six-tee-nine

Found some extra pictures on my Phone.
First is the painted understructure of the roof. scond is one from the paint on the underside and last is an older one outside the shop.

fy469rtse

thats looking really good  :2thumbs:,
great work , you must be proud of your work , better than new

six-tee-nine

Well I like to take pride in my work, maybe thats why its taking me so long. I could have left the underside alone but I want this to feel "right" in the end.

The underside is no top notch paint job, but its more than nice enough to spray undercoating on.

six-tee-nine

Small update.......

Just finished the installation of the new roof. I must say it was the most feared sheet metal surgerey but it went surprisingly well and was imo easier then other things I tackled so far. Going to put the lead in the A and C pillar seams in the upcoming days.

And maybe I did'nt do much work lately (winter blues :eyes:), I did find my needle in the haystack........date code correct for 68/69, trac-lock, new 3.55 ring/pinion with new bearings.
I even got a real nice set of 10" drums with new internals along with the deal. I was considering discs on all corners but these drums are so good I'd be crazy not to use them.

keepat

Nice job on the new roof! just receiving the skin without a shipping dent is a miracle!
Good luck with your build!
Pat   

six-tee-nine

I've spent like up to 12 hrs in the shop last week, wich is like 3 times my average (my wife said "hello stranger" yesterday evening ::))
Anyway, it paid of, The roof is in and the end result is satisfying. I'll probably never become a guru with the lead technique, but it went better than my last time. A light coat of filler will do the last bit.
The high build primer is still wet in the pictures.

Next week I'm moving to the last patch panel in the floor on the drivers side, then its time to paint the inside, undercariage and put the undercoating on.
Then finally after 4 years the body can come of the rotisserie for placing the fenders and test fitting the doors, hood and trunk lid.

fy469rtse

It's coming along nicely, brand new shell now,
Been thinking about the colour combination to this one,
I hope your re doing the green , and with red interior  :2thumbs: what a nice combo,

six-tee-nine

Quote from: fy469rtse on April 25, 2015, 07:37:23 AM
It's coming along nicely, brand new shell now,
Been thinking about the colour combination to this one,
I hope your re doing the green , and with red interior  :2thumbs: what a nice combo,

Trouble is I hate green.....

My first choice was black but everyone paints em black. Thought about silver also but I'm not going to spray a metallic color on my first paint job so I decided to go for white. I really like the white with red interior. And white is more forgiving when it comes to amateur body work skill level

Lennard

Quote from: six-tee-nine on March 24, 2015, 01:51:41 PM
Soooo finally got a mail last week that my roof shell arrived, so a 3 hour road trip it was..... jumped in the van and drove into the Netherlands and hauled the box home. I saw a nice 69 Charger when I arrived but did'nt got the chance to pull py Phone for a picture, sorry guys.

Great job on your Charger!  :2thumbs: Where did you pick up that new AMD roof?

Baldwinvette77

six-tee-nine

@ Lennard

I ordered it trough Six-Pack in the Netherlands. They ship container loads several times a year. You can hardy buy cheaper as an individual when it comes to such large pieces. And I hate to say it but if the part arrives damaged its his reposability, not mine.

Lennard

Okay, thanks. And you're right about the responsibility issue. :2thumbs:
Was that Charger you saw there the owners Orange '69 with the 426 Hemi?

six-tee-nine

kokxville

Great progress Koen  :2thumbs:

Looks good :cheers:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Lennard

six-tee-nine

Update.....

I got the floor patched and finally the welding to the unibody itself is DONE! That leaves me just the hood and one fender and one door to clean and strip.

After more than 40 years of dirt and moist the floor could have looked better so I decided to skim it out and smooth it again. I know its under the carpet but for my peace of mind I did it afterall, just some extra elbow grease.
Then the inside got painted. I did the passenger compartment separate from the trunk. Cant ell you why exactly but I wanted the trunk floor to be extra nice so I did some extra priming and sanding there.
Underside received paint also.
I just finished shooting the undercoating on. Altough you cant see it in the pictures Its nice to have clean paint coming through the undercoating in the places where there are bolt provisions.

Took me a while to get here, but finally I'm starting to think I'm going to win the war one day, but I'm probably still ahead of several battles....

six-tee-nine

Just to be clear.... The light sucks for pictures in the shop. Makes the paint look waay yellowish. The picture of the underside is the best one of the lot to show the exact color....