News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Underhood parts for dealer Airtemp?

Started by Ghoste, December 26, 2013, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

If you got an Airtemp ac unit from the dealer, did they use Chrysler components underhood or aftermarket?

A383Wing

they used aftermarket....but used a "York" compressor...otherwise known as a Ford style

Ghoste

Would that be all dealers Bryan?  Did it come as part of the kit from Chrysler or were they instructed to purchase it from jobbers?

A383Wing

no "add-on" or dealer installed AC used any factory Chrysler components...most if not all the conversions were "ARA" brand systems

Ghoste

The underdash portion is branded Chrysler?

A383Wing

no...was not Chryslers unit....at least none that I have seen in my lifetime

Ghoste

The ones I've seen all clearly say Airtemp on the front.  I have to see if its still up in the rafters but there was one at the shop my buddy and I share (his not mine).

A383Wing

I have never seen one that says Airtemp...but I also have not seen every one out there either...wonder if it's a regional thing?

Ghoste

Pete in NH

My dad bought a used 1965 Chrysler Newport in 1968 and had the dealer install AC in it. It was a Chrysler Airtemp system that used a RV-2 compressor and factory mounting brackets under the hood. The under dash unit was branded as an Airtemp unit. Don't know what they might have done with Chargers but, this is at least one case of an dealer installed Airtemp unit.

moparfan53

Going by the dealer accessory books it looks like the name varied by year. Below are A/C pages from a '69 and a '70 book. In the '69 book the name is Cool Aire/ Cool Comfort, in the '70 book it is AirTemp.

:cheers: