News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage Test Drive of a 1969 Hemi Dodge Daytona Charger

Started by chargerman69, December 24, 2013, 11:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montreal Wing Car

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 02, 2014, 06:07:27 PM
Too bad the dumb ass's can't learn English. :poke:
How many real French people are there in Canada. :scratchchin:
Try this. http://www.strategypage.com/humor/articles/military_humor_complete_list_of_french_jokes.asp

Please do not confuse French-Canadians, most of whom are in Quebec, with the French from France! We are as close to our "ancestors" as Americans are to the British! All we share is the langage, and we actually do a better job at preserving it than them...

Ben

hemi68charger

Finally... I was able to listen to the video on my smartphone... Guess there's no "left or right" speaker on that......... I understood some of it since I took French in college........

One things for sure, I won't be putting my "soon-to-be" Hemi Daytona through that.......... No squealing tires in the corners other than in a straight line from a stop.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

GOTWING

i have not seen it thanks ! that made my day !  :yesnod: dude has balls of steel ! :eek2:

200MPH

Quote from: FJMG on December 24, 2013, 01:15:53 PM
Notice how calm he is in the latter portion of the video? No sudden steering correction, calmly reaches down to manually up/downshift, sun in the eyes does not bother him, all the while the tires are screaming for help in the background!
His former racing roots seem apparent to me.

I was thinking the same thing as those poor tires are screaming for Mercy !
Charger

hemigeno

The current owner of the T5 HemiDaytona in this test drive video (XX29J9B414638) sent some photos, which I think might help clear up some confusion surrounding whether the car was actually "scrapped".  I asked permission and volunteered to post his photos, since he lives in a fairly rural area of Canada with what he described as rather lousy internet service.  As you can see from the next dozen or so pics, 414638 is very much alive and well.

These first several photos show the all-important hemi subframe and other identifying characteristics.  In the second shot, you can see where the car's original hemi door emblems were mudded over.  At one time, it had a 383 engine installed in place of the 426 - and during one of the car's several paintjobs I guess the previous owner opted to remove the badges - since they had become "false advertising"   :P

hemigeno

Next up are a couple of shots of the radiator yoke.  The car's most recent paintjob was red, which is why you don't see much T5 (more on that coming up).  In the first photo, you can see where the latch tray reinforcement bracket's spot welds were installed, and the owner pointed out what is likely a remnant of the Hemi Power Steering Cooler bracket peeking out from underneath the yoke flange--directly below the slotted hole near the center of the yoke.  Very sharp-eyed folks might question the K-frame, since the engine mounting brackets aren't of the Hemi persuasion.  The underneath side still has its skid plate (only installed on Hemi K-frames in '69), and you can reportedly still see where the replacement brackets were installed in lieu of the original Hemi type.  

The second pic shows where the yoke was drilled for the Daytona headlight wiring harness retainer.  You can also see where the inside large slotted hole was deformed or worn slightly from the hood pin too, as well as the single battery cooling hole on the left/driver's side radiator yoke (late '69 model year trait).

hemigeno

Here are several paint strata shots the owner took, to show the various colors the car has worn.  The most important ones are the T5 at the bottom, followed by white.   Several different reds over the years too.  It's quite surprising the number of times this car was painted between 1971 and 1976/7.

The last shot shows that all the previous owners who repainted the car (even the dealership!!) didn't even bother to remove the door handles when they painted the car.   :rotz:

hemigeno

Next up are some engine bay shots.  The original PS box and/or its unique Hemi-only high-pressure hose adapter have been lost, but you can see the 3/8" fuel line in the second shot... those only came on Hemicars in 1969.  The return line is folded over on itself right below the firewall (the 383 2bbl installed in the car didn't use a vapor separator w/ return line, so it was removed to that point).  It still has the hemi-only offset bracket for the brake booster, and you can tell by the proportioning valve that it is a disc brake car.

You can also see the second hole behind the battery which is only found on Daytonas... it's about 2-3" forward from the factory-punched hole normally used to retain the regular Charger headlight wiring harness in its recessed tray behind the battery.  Creative Industries hand-drilled the second hole in an attempt to get a few more inches of slack for hooking up the nosecone headlight harness.

hemigeno

The first two shots are from the A-pillar, which still wears its original T5 and was never painted by either the dealership (who painted it white) or the successive owners who removed the nose & wing before painting it again... and again... and... well, you get the picture.

The last photo shows the wing washers and braces in place, although there isn't normally body-color (T5) overspray on the wing braces (you can still see their original black color though).

If I receive any more photos from the Owner that he would like to see posted, I'll be happy to do so for him... and I'll make corrections if I've screwed the story up!!   In the meantime, I hope his information & photos have helped clear a bit of the mystery surrounding this very cool car.

:cheers:

Ghoste

Those are great, thanks Gene.  Be sure to thank the owner for letting us know too.

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on January 09, 2014, 10:29:58 AM
Those are great, thanks Gene.  Be sure to thank the owner for letting us know too.

:iagree:   :yesnod:  awesome stuff Geno , thanks for sharing  :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Montreal Wing Car

Great, Thanks for sharing!
What are the current owner's plan for the car? Any time frame?

Ben