News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A few grill questions.

Started by ThomasTedder, March 26, 2014, 04:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasTedder

Which year Charger would probably have the highest demand for a replacement grill: 68, 69, or 70?

Are the surrounds or the inner grill/headlamp doors needed more?

Which plastic parts between the 68-70 are interchangeable (if any).

Does anyone have any idea how many 68-70 chargers are out there (very roughly)? I've never actually even seen one on the road - only shows.

Thanks.
1968 Dodge Charger RT
1972 Dodge Dart - 318
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
1971 Ford F250 Four Door
1972 GMC Jimmy

bill440rt

Highest demand? '69. Seems to be the most popular (wide known) year. '70's are one year only specific so they would be the most valuable (supply vs demand).

The headlamp doors are solid so they are less prone to breakage, they are more easily found intact other than a broken stop tab which is easily repairable. The passenger side door interchanges between '68 - '69. '70 again is it's own animal.

The outer plastic surrounds interchange '68 - '69. Like mentioned above so does the passenger side headlamp door. Driver's sides are different '68 - '69 due to emblem placement. '70's again are unique, 1-piece grille other than the doors.

I've never counted to see how many are left. But they are dwindling.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: bill440rt on March 26, 2014, 04:50:35 PM

The outer plastic surrounds interchange '68 - '70. Like mentioned above so does the passenger side headlamp door. Driver's sides are different '68 - '69 due to emblem placement. '70's again are unique, 1-piece grille other than the doors.

I am sure you meant 68 - 69, for the outer plastic surrounds interchanging.

ThomasTedder

So the outer surround is the same for 68-69? That part has cracks on both of the 68 grills I have. Would that probably be the most needed part for grill restoration?
1968 Dodge Charger RT
1972 Dodge Dart - 318
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS
1971 Ford F250 Four Door
1972 GMC Jimmy

bill440rt

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on March 26, 2014, 05:01:57 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on March 26, 2014, 04:50:35 PM

The outer plastic surrounds interchange '68 - '70. Like mentioned above so does the passenger side headlamp door. Driver's sides are different '68 - '69 due to emblem placement. '70's again are unique, 1-piece grille other than the doors.

I am sure you meant 68 - 69, for the outer plastic surrounds interchanging.

Thanks for catching that.
Yes, '68 - '69 are interchangeable. '70's are one piece.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

Quote from: ThomasTedder on March 26, 2014, 05:36:25 PM
So the outer surround is the same for 68-69? That part has cracks on both of the 68 grills I have. Would that probably be the most needed part for grill restoration?

Yes. That and the center grille sectikn "Bobfist" reports here on the board. :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

Plenty of people have brought up the idea of reproducing the grilles.  A few have even been made with short-run tooling.  But we're still waiting for a mass-production run of any of these parts and economics is the reason.  The used stuff is expensive but they are even more expensive to reproduce and the market is just not that big. 

BTW, although the 68 and 69 driver-side headlight doors are not identical because of the emblem mounts, I think the same mold could be used for both.  I think it's just some holes in different places.   

bill440rt

There are some different embossments on the '68 door for the R/T emblem vs a '69 door.
But a duplicate mold for the same part could be modified for this provision I would imagine.