News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaded gas purchase...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, January 17, 2014, 07:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

If one had the possibility to purchased leaded gas for our cars on a few occasions would ya?

My coworker told me there is 110 leaded near a truck stop near me for 7.50/gallon.

Would it improve power?

He used it and never mashed the gas pedal on his car he just wanted to try it  :shruggy: drove it like the granny as he always does.

Ghoste

If your car is set up to take advantage of the higher octane you could see a power boost but the lead will help the valves especially if you don't have hardened seats.  (it will start easier!)
I run it through my car whenever I can.

1974dodgecharger

Thx ghosts then I will put some in this weekend.....

War wagon

I've run many different fuels over the years, just a word or warning probably goes without saying but if you are running aluminum heads stay away from leaded fuel. Lead deposits build up inside the head.
I tried running Elf racing fuel 128 Octane on the import I had too solve detonation issues. It helped but lead built up rather quickly in the heads and I had to switch fuels.
Ended up sponsored by Pro Race fuels and ended up with 115 octane unleaded that worked best for my application.

As Ghoste said, if you have the right set up you can see gains. Wrong set up means headaches :Twocents:

4cruzin

We have a station here that sells gas without ethanol and I try to get some when I can!   :cheers:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Ghoste

And right now that seems to be the hazard of the moment.

Cooter

I've found most who claim a seat o the pants difference in anything newer than 1987, are usually BSing themselves.

Computer controls take over today to keep morons from blowing their junk up, therefore, unless you can actually adjust your timing your wasting time and money....remember years ago when someone would look into their tailpipe and see how "clean its burning" due to the gray color of inside of pipes? LMAO! its lead......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

the lowest octane that you can run WITHOUT detonation will make more power than a real high octane that is not needed.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

I have aluminum heads and put only 3 gallons hope I don't ruin her.  They had 100 with no lead and 110 with lead both same price.

I better hope I didn't ruin my heads......

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ghoste

It takes a long time for the buildup to occur.

RusTy/SE

Entec located just north of Montgomery has ethanol in all three common grades as well as one separate pump for non-ethanol 87 octane regular. The ethanol-present regular which is also displayed as 87 octane is priced at $3.09 while the non-ethanol regular is priced at $3.54  :shruggy:

The vehicle is a 2001 4.7 Durango SLT running 265-70 16s.

'Scruffy' now has 69,520 miles including several longer distance trips to the Atlanta and Charlotte areas while consistently averaging 15-17 mpg in town and 20-22 mpg highway. Before I made the switch to non-ethanol 87 I was at exactly 15 in town/20 highway so while the mpg increased slightly I was looking more for longer life out of the fuel system than anything else. The mileage increase is a welcome bonus.

Ghoste

Because the ethanol is subsidized.

John_Kunkel

Current aluminum heads have hardened steel valve seats.

Running a fuel with higher octane than needed can actually be harder on exhaust valves; high octane fuel prevents detonation my burning slower, when used in a high-compression motor, combustion is pretty much complete as the exhaust valve opens but when high-octane fuel is used in a low-compression motor the fuel burns even slower yet....slow enough that it is still burning with some fury as it passes over the exhaust valve.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on January 17, 2014, 03:36:51 PM
Because the ethanol is subsidized.

Exactly.  And also because ethanol free fuel is now the odd-man-out and as such it takes separate handling and that adds to the cost.

1974dodgecharger

How do guys claim 800hp with 91 octane and then claim something like 1200hp with 100 octane? Grant3d they have a blower/superchargers on their vehicles.

Curious if se pronciple applies to our cars since its old school.

Back in the day my uncle used to get leaded gases cause he said it was the good stuff and if he got inleaded it was power lose

Our cars dont o2 sensores, no computers etc..

Ghoste

Higher octane can take advantage of higher compression and a more aggressive timing curve.  Lead is an anti-knock additive. (with side benefits- and a few cons as well)

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 17, 2014, 04:38:53 PM
How do guys claim 800hp with 91 octane and then claim something like 1200hp with 100 octane? Grant3d they have a blower/superchargers on their vehicles.

Curious if se pronciple applies to our cars since its old school.

Back in the day my uncle used to get leaded gases cause he said it was the good stuff and if he got inleaded it was power lose

Our cars dont o2 sensores, no computers etc..

The same way someone 'only' makes 550 hp 'on the motor', then make 1000 on the spray.
timing changes, etc to allow more power to be made with GOOD fuel/air.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

Well i started her up with 110 lead and well.........like cooter said its in my head but she did sound meaner then i turned her off   :icon_smile_big: and shut the garage after i installed some hotchkis items.

Ghoste

"Meaner" is relative but since it does burn differently it is entirely possible for it to sound different.

1974dodgecharger

I took her out for a drive today after filling it up with 3 gallons of leaded I went back and filled her up for 6 more gallons of the 100 ocatane with no lead in it.

Drove her around, but did not mash it or anything she does not feel different in my opinion still the same 'feel', but it was casual driving.

Well see tomorow on the dyon what she gives out.....

Ghoste

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on January 18, 2014, 11:13:09 PM
My bet is the same.

me thinking same too if it was off the seat pantsy thing as cooter would say im sure its nothing...guess my 10.5 to 1 ratio with 91 with enthanol is 'ok' for my car.

Ghoste

Now if you choose to retune to take advantage of the fuel...

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on January 19, 2014, 09:26:42 AM
Now if you choose to retune to take advantage of the fuel...

That's what I was thinking too; any change in the parameters of the engine, be it fuel, spark, air intake, whatever, would require a re-tune to account for the changes...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"