News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cam Driven Oil Pump Distributor Timing

Started by tonycharger, January 17, 2014, 04:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonycharger

I am assembling a small block for my 69 charger.  I got to the point where I insert the oil pump drive shaft.  The shop manual, and the 'How to Build Small Block Mopars' book indicates that the slot in the top of the shaft with the gear that meshes with the gear on the cam should point toward to the #1 bolt hole on driver side of intake.  I can NOT get this to line in the correct direction when the #1 piston is at TDC.  I have tried to move the gear a single tooth, but it won't mesh until I move it three teeth.  I have rotated the oil pump drive socket in case that was hindering the shaft from going into the pump, but it still did not work. I think it is because the gears won't mesh for three teeth.  I double checked the timing chain sprocket and it appears that the sprockets at the cam and crank have their marks straight in line with the cam and crank shaft centers.  I can get the slot to point toward the #4 bolt hole and at the water neck, but not at the #1 bolt hole.  I would appreciate any help.  Thanks.

tonycharger

Ok. Now I am worse off. I was talking to an experienced molar engine builder who told me that the gears should mesh when moved only one tooth. For me to tap it in after moving the shaft. I tapped it with a rubber mallet. Got it back Out, but it will not mesh at all now. Wont get past the cam gear to even go into the oil pump...

cudaken

Tony I wish I could be of more help, but I am BB guy. But here is my  :Twocents: worth.

On BB it is very common for the oil pump and rotor not to index point toward # plug. This last year I had that problem on my 68 Road Runner. I just moved the wiring on the cap to where I need it, fired her up and set the timing.

When trying to install the oil pump shaft, did you try rocking the crank backwards and forward?

When the gear slips in even 3 teeth off, did you rotate the engine to see if there was any binding? Seems to me I sort of had the same problems a few decades ago?  :scratchchin: I correct it by moving the wires to where they need to be.

Heck, with a BB you can have the rotor out of phase my 180 degrees and make it run right by moving the wires!  :lol: Yep, been there and done that.

Hope I was of a little help.

Cuda Ken

By the way, welcome to the site!  :2thumbs:
I am back

tonycharger

Thanks for the reply Ken,  I did rock the crank back and forth to try to get the gears meshed. Once they are meshed, there is no problem rotating the crank,  it just does not line up to the bolt hole. I had another guy tell me the same as you in that you can compensate in the distributor.  I am going to order a new shaft from summit, since it appears that I may have dinked up the gear. If it still does not point to the #1 bolt hole,  I'm thinking I may go ahead and put it in the car and see how it goes with adjusting the distributor. Thanks again!  -Tony