News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Would going from 2 1/2 to 3'' exhaust be worth it???

Started by 69wannabe, January 22, 2014, 11:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

True enough, outside of a magazine or TTI likely no one.

69wannabe

Quote from: ACUDANUT on January 23, 2014, 09:45:01 PM
Are BSB and 69 wannabe the same...?

Sorry, I read that quickly and replied. I didn't see the mistake til later. My bad!!

Cooter

How do we know that that 800 HP engine wouldn't benefit from larger pipes?

One thing I've never figured out unless it has to do with flow speed, is why Damn near all BBC  headers come with a 3" collector and almost everybody drops that 2 1/2" system at the track, and the car picks up performance. Why neck that 3" down to 2 1/2"?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69wannabe

800 horse power would for sure benefit from 3 inch exhaust!! I figure my estimated 525 hp at the flywheel would be on the border line from either staying with what I got and installing new charger exhaust tips or running an all new 3'' exhaust with new 3'' tips winding up with bout $400 to $500 bucks in it. I would like the more throaty sound more than likely but the engine is very responsive on the low end which is the way I like it and I wouldn't want my lower RPM's to suffer. Its just a driver anyway and it doesn't  see the strip ever so it may stay the way it is. May not be worth the trouble unless I was trying to get better numbers on a time slip. Oh and yeah Cooter my headers are the hedman elite series 1 3/4 primaries with the 3'' collector.

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

2Luke2

If you do go to a three inch and are looking for a set of the mufflers Ron suggested let me know. We have a brand new pair that has about 10-15 miles on them. We like the car LOUD lol... and it made it way too quite for our taste.

myk

Quote from: 2Luke2 on January 25, 2014, 01:43:48 AM
If you do go to a three inch and are looking for a set of the mufflers Ron suggested let me know. We have a brand new pair that has about 10-15 miles on them. We like the car LOUD lol... and it made it way too quite for our taste.

Agreed.  Putting in an H-pipe and the Ultra-flows made my car more quiet...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

Not really a safe extrapolation to say that benefiting from open headers at the track means a three inch system would be better on the street.  The track is an example of a WOT only condition.

BSB67

Quote from: Cooter on January 24, 2014, 08:38:09 PM

One thing I've never figured out unless it has to do with flow speed, is why Damn near all BBC  headers come with a 3" collector and almost everybody drops that 2 1/2" system at the track, and the car picks up performance. Why neck that 3" down to 2 1/2"?

My observation is that nearly all 12 second ish cars will pick-up .2 sec. and 2 mph, when they drop their old, 2 1/2" compression bent, cross flow muffler design exhaust system, irrespective of engine manufacturer brand

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

My 383 car picks up that much (but cam carb and intake all pretty much predict that).

Kern Dog

I am tempted to make this change. I have TTI 2" headers with 3.5 collectors. The rest of the exhaust is muffler shop 2.5" pipes and Flowmaster mufflers. I welded in my own H pipe. The engine is a 440/493 with ported Edelbrocks and a Lunati solid lifter cam. I'm guessing that I could benefit from a 3" system. I like the feedback I've read regarding the Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers.

Cooter

Get rid of that "H" pipe, and install an "X" pipe. 3" kit. The ONLY time I run smaller is when space is at a premium.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

:Twocents:

Lots of cars sound better without crossover pipes.  

It's unconventional to purposely hurt the exhaust flow for the sake of a bit more badass sound, but it's no crazier than plenty of other things we do.  If any of us were building our cars 100% for speed then we wouldn't be building Chargers in the first place.  

Ghoste

Thats true.  I think a lot of people worry too much about badass sound, a cam that hurts performance but has a good lope, the aforementioned exhaust and so forth.
Me, I like the sound of a crossover better but sound is all subjective anyway.

Cooter

X pipes will outflow H pipes hands down. Plus, they offer more balanced sound. Gets rid of that 1970's goofy, raspy, sounds like you tied a piece of inner tube flapping behind the car, sound. Not that it's a bad thing if you like 90% of folks who won't say it to your face, but WILL say it after you leave with a WOT blast, how much it sounds like a 'pulp wood truck'.

Ghoste

Pulp wood truck, I like that.  :lol:
Here we always just called it a frap.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Cooter on February 16, 2014, 08:22:49 PM
X pipes will outflow H pipes hands down. Plus, they offer more balanced sound. Gets rid of that 1970's goofy, raspy, sounds like you tied a piece of inner tube flapping behind the car, sound. Not that it's a bad thing if you like 90% of folks who won't say it to your face, but WILL say it after you leave with a WOT blast, how much it sounds like a 'pulp wood truck'.

Im not arguing the performance side of an x-pipe. But to say not running one makes your car sound like a pulp truck is a bit of a stretch. I dont run any kind of crossover pipe and i get asked all the time about my exhaust setup. People have followed me to ask about what im running because of how good it sounds. ive even had flowmaster bashers on this forum compliment my exhaust tone.

1974dodgecharger

The only people who will say that your car sounds bad is the same folks who just ate your dust because thats the only way they are gonna find out that it sounds bad to them is when their behind.... :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 17, 2014, 11:33:18 PM
Quote from: Cooter on February 16, 2014, 08:22:49 PM

Im not arguing the performance side of an x-pipe. But to say not running one makes your car sound like a pulp wood truckis a bit of a stretch. I dont run any kind of crossover pipe and i get asked all the time about my exhaust setup. People have followed me to ask about what im running because of how good it sounds. ive even had flowmaster bashers on this forum compliment my exhaust tone.
. Blown out glasspack or Flowbastards with no balance pipe at WOT, will sound like a pulp wood truck whether people are telling you it sounds good or not. For every person you claim to have that loves the sound, I can find an equal amount that think it sounds like a redneck Pulp wood truck. Some just seem to think that raspy flapping sound sounds good. These are usually the same types that remark about a '440 hemi". Afterall, the General Lee had this stupid sound, so it kinda goes with the car as 'correct'. Only thing worse would be Uber redneck by running straight pipes. This coming from a redneck himself.

Flowbastards are playing out. This coming from a used to be huge supporter.

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on February 18, 2014, 01:58:07 AM
The only people who will say that your car sounds bad is the same folks who just ate your dust because thats the only way they are gonna find out that it sounds bad to them is when their behind.... :2thumbs:

Wrong. There are those who seem to think it's just grand to leave a car show sideways and WOT sounding like a pulp wood truck.

Ghoste

You gotta love the car show exits, it seems like the worse it performs the more they have to prove on the way out.

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on February 18, 2014, 08:11:51 AM
You gotta love the car show exits, it seems like the worse it performs the more they have to prove on the way out.

Subsequently ruining it for the cars that would crush those. But, I degress. Idiots will be idiots.
straight pipes will be run, g lasspacks/Cherry bombs will continue to installed.

Ghoste

Getting off topic but the ones who frighten me even more at car shows are the idiots who display that behaviour but with real power under the hood.  Anyone stupid enough to pull a sideways wot tire screaming and smoking stunt leaving a public parking lot is typically not equipped with the skills to recover the car if it gets away from them.  (not to mention how it makes us all look in the public eye)

Cooter

That's why I said what I did about attempting a quieter ride by any and all means including, but not limited to running 3" exhaust.
bigger dia. Pipe muffles to a certain degree. Many here have begun the "if it really has balls, put it on the track where everybody can see the time" and are attempting to make it uncool to leave squeeling tires. If it's really badass, no need for that.

Our car club doesn't as allow it, will run your dumbass off for it, and actually condones quieter rides that still have balls.
there's simply no need to be obnoxiously loud in order to 'appear' like your car has what it takes...

I even told one douchebag that likes to try and hang around us, "you know Gordon, in alot of ways your just like your car. You make all kinds of noise, but when it comes to balls, you have none"...

ACUDANUT

Does anyone here hate their "too quiet" of exhaust ?