News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One tire spins when burnout after new exhaust installed

Started by 06~Charger~R/T, January 28, 2014, 10:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06~Charger~R/T

Hey everyone. I know this is dumb to some people but when your at a red light and some honda civic pulls up revving his weedwacker it just feels good to smoke up the tires and take off. Anyway. I recently purchased a 2006 dodge charger r/t. Before i removed the stock exhaust (cat-back) i would spin both wheels. I installed a obx stainless catback kit and since then i only spin one tire. BUT i did cause a small exhaust leak AFTER the catalytic converter which i will b replacing shortly. Does anyone have any ide why one tire spins now? Is it a power loss thing or a rear end issue?
  I know some ppl frown upon burnouts but this is a issue i would love to resolve.   Thanks everyone for your help!!

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ghoste

It shouldn't be connected to the exhaust, that part is coincidental.  My guess is a rearend issue.

4cruzin

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Cooter

I see this question all the time. Remember, just cause it has a sure grip doesnt mean it ALWAYS spins BOTH rear tires.
The clutches get worn out, take one helluva beating when one wheel spins.
the car is making more power by a few ponies now. It could simply be that the wheel that is sticking is somehow getting all the traction.
Not sure if you removed the rear sub frame to install cutback tips/mufflers, but could be effecting it.

Lemme guess, well over 150k miles? On the stock rear? Thats been hammered on for about 1/2 the cars life?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

myk

That's what I'm guessing.  This car's been running the stoplight gran-prix for most of its life...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

06~Charger~R/T

Ive bad the car for about a year. Its has 67000 miles. I rarely spin the tires but over the course of a year maybe 10 times

Ghoste

Troy

I am no expert on the newer Chargers but... I believe they had an open differential unless you got the "Road and Track" package (not the same as the R/T designation). Therefore, depending on the road surface, you're going to get the "one wheel peel".

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

wonder if the ABS or traction control is kicking in.....

we had a car come into shop with worn out brakes every 3 months...rear tires were bald also...turns out kid was stop light drag racing.....

Quote from: 06~Charger~R/T on January 28, 2014, 02:01:26 PM
Ive bad the car for about a year. Its has 67000 miles. I rarely spin the tires but over the course of a year maybe 10 times

yea, right, they all say that....I'm not buying 10 times a year

06~Charger~R/T

Dude. I have no reason to lie to strangers on line. And im just looking for help. Not a judgement from u. And no its not traction control kicking in. The way a dpdge charger works is it applys brakes to the wheel that spins faster to keep the wheels moving the same speed. Gives the "illusion" of posi rear.
Im just lookig to know if anyone knows why one wheel spins after my exhaust swap. Could i have a loss of power from a exhaust leak which isnt goving me enough kick. Could ot be a rear issue? (Shouldbt be due to the system that controls both wheels spinning is the brakes) could it be a sensor issue?

06~Charger~R/T

And its would spin both everytime with the stock exhaust. Once i put the catback exhaust always spins one.

Troy

Oh, it's that kind of traction control. If that's the case, no wheel should spin alone as it will progressively apply the brakes until the car stops moving (or the other wheel finally starts to spin). I had it happen before on one of my cars (not a Dodge though). The exhaust *shouldn't* have caused the problem. If one of the sensors was somehow knocked loose or a wire was melted/disconnected your ABS light would likely be on. If the ABS had failed for some reason you'd experience the same issue. Have you checked the computer for codes?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Hard Charger

were both wheels spinning when you launch straight before?

or were both wheels spinning when you were launching while turning?

there could be a weight distribution thing.

exhaust is unrelated.

A383Wing

Dude...a "Posi" rear is in a Chevy...maybe you got the wrong car from the exhaust shop?

yea, sure..a small exhaust leak is gonna rob all the power from yer car and make it so you can't spin the tires now....

:smilielol:

06~Charger~R/T

I said it gives the "illusion" of a posi rear. Lmao and no a posi rear is not a chevy thing. Lmao  its actually a Form or rear end which distributes equal power to both rear wheels. U really didnt know thT? U thought thats just chevy? Maybe u shouldnt of written in this post to begin with. Anyway. Like i said the way a DODGR CHARGER works is it APPLIES BRAKES the the faster wheel to make both wheel spin at the same speed but still spins the outter wheel faster when making turns. The r/t charger has a limited slip rear. Only the Srt8 has a open rear. Ok let me break this down simply. IVE READ ALOT OF PEOPLE WHO HAD THEN ISSUE WHERE ONLY ONE WHEEL SPINS IN THERE CHARGER. HAS ANYONE CORRECTED THIS ISSUE. And if so HOW? I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue. I will give accurate information to anyone who is willing to give me a accurate assessment.

06~Charger~R/T

A383 wing. Heres a link for a mopar posi rear is u were curious about that being a chevy thing. Im positive i left with the right car.   http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=Mopar+Dodge+Chrysler+Plymouth+3%3A55+Posi+rear+end+differential

Ghoste

What A833 is telling you is that the term "posi" is from Chevrolet.  They call their version of a limited slip differential "Positraction" and Chrysler refers to it as a "Sure Grip".  They accomplish the same thing but its kind of Mopar pride thing to avoid using the Chevy name for it.
Not sure what is causing your problem but it is most assuredly not related to the exhaust.  An exhaust leak wont cause a loss of power and a power loss wouldn't cause the condition you describe anyway.
There are a number of things it could be and some of the replies have pointed you in the right direction.  Is the problem recurrent?  Everytime, some of the time, just that one time?

A383Wing

put the stock exhaust back on since you said it starting not spinning the tires after the switch. Bigger ain't always better in some cases. It may sound "cool" in your case, but you may have actually reduced the engine power by decreasing the back pressure.

PS: it's not legal in some states to tamper with the exhaust on OBD II emission system...

JB400

Have you jacked up the rear of the car and played with it any?  Maybe rock both wheels back and forth to see if there is a noise present?  Does one side make a noise or do both sides make a noise?  If you rotate the wheels, does one side turn easy, or do both?  Have you had the fluid checked?  Did the old oil have metal particles in it or chunks?

Make sure the trans is in neutral and the car is on a level surface and sturdy jack stands before playing with it.

You might also ask here if you haven't already.  http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91908  It seems these guys might know a thing or two about the new gen Chargers :cheers:

1974dodgecharger

I must be in the wrong forum..I didnt know chargers were this old chargers first came out in 07!!!!!!!

A383Wing

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 29, 2014, 01:26:16 AM
I must be in the wrong forum..I didnt know chargers were this old chargers first came out in 07!!!!!!!

Coronets is what they were

c00nhunterjoe

My 07 has almost 140k on the clock and still slides thriugh corners on demand.

That said; even if you turn the esp off on the rt's, the bas is not disengaged. If the tires spin too much or even the slightest yaw is detected, it will kick in and stop the slide and you wont even feel it. I bet this is what is happening here. The only model that allows you to fully disengage the bells and whistles for fun time is the srt. BUT that doesnt mean you cant force it off....hehehe. the easter egg on the 06 model is to pull the abs fuse. Cant recall which number. But it disables the bas and esp to allow sliding sideways and bigger tire spins. On the late 06 and 07's you simply let the car roll at about 5 mph while running and then try to crank it. This confuses the bas computer when it sees wheel speed and shuts the system down for that key cycle. Then all computer control is off and you have full control of the car. For 08 chrysler changed the program and you cant bypass it without a custom program. Try the key trick first to see if it works on your car. Be forewarned though, if you bounce off the rev limiter twice (blink of an eye) it will kick the trNs to neutral and you will have to coast to a stop put it in park shut off and restart before it will go back in gear..... yet another failsafe they put in the programming.....

charger Downunder

A long shot check your tyre pressure maybe the other wheel is spinning on the rim.
[/quote]

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: charger Downunder on January 29, 2014, 07:31:09 PM
A long shot check your tyre pressure maybe the other wheel is spinning on the rim.

Can u spin on a flat?