News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thrust clearance?

Started by Charger4404spd, February 21, 2014, 03:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

What do you guys say the minimum thrust clearance should be in a 505" that will be supercharged?

Challenger340

Do you mean Crankshaft "Endplay" in the Block ?

For an Automatic, bound to be some heat/expansion in the Torque Convertor, I default to right around .007" to .008".
and,
Be sure to check that there is no interference between the outer edge of the Bearings and the Crank Radius/Filet.... FIRST.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Charger4404spd

Yes end play. 4 speed car. I have .0035" clearance.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

375instroke

Was the bearing installed correctly?  I've seen a few methods.  Some loose install the thrust main last, hit the crank back, then forward, or pry it forward with an appropriate tool so the crank thrust surface is pressing evenly on both halves of the bearing when it's torqued down.  If not done like this, the crank is pressing against one bearing on the front, and the other in the back, and would give you a lower clearance reading while the crank will only be pressing against one bearing half.