News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 440 alum. intake recommendations

Started by 66FBCharger, January 31, 2014, 12:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I know this is an odd question, but what's the best spread bore manifold if such a thing still exists?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Good question.  I don't know if anyone even makes them anymore?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Dino on February 07, 2014, 10:17:25 AM
I know this is an odd question, but what's the best spread bore manifold if such a thing still exists?

That's an easy one....Holley Street Dominator  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Dino

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 07, 2014, 11:40:37 AM
Quote from: Dino on February 07, 2014, 10:17:25 AM

That's an easy one....Holley Street Dominator  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

And here I simply assumed it was a square bore!   :icon_smile_blackeye:

That seems like a good option for my use!  I'm all for more torque, the higher rpm stuff will never be explored to its full potential so that means a single plane is better than a dual plane right? 

I may just have to do this...

firefighter3931

Quote from: Dino on February 07, 2014, 12:02:36 PM

That would be a step in the wrong direction if you're looking to maximize low end power & throttle response  ;)

Dual planes are much better down low vs a single plane. The SD is the best single plane for bottom end power but it will give up some power down low and move it higher in the powerband.  :yesnod:

The cam is a big player in the overall performance and basicly determines the engine's operating range. Your engine is overcammed for the compression but the dual plane is helping to cover up that defiency/mismatch. The bigger the cam the weaker the vacuum signal at lower engine speeds and the softer it will feel. Using a single plane will only weaken the signal and make it feel softer with less throttle response. The Performer is the right intake for your application....in it's current configuration   :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Dino

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 07, 2014, 12:44:10 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 07, 2014, 12:02:36 PM

That would be a step in the wrong direction if you're looking to maximize low end power & throttle response  ;)

Dual planes are much better down low vs a single plane. The SD is the best single plane for bottom end power but it will give up some power down low and move it higher in the powerband.  :yesnod:

The cam is a big player in the overall performance and basicly determines the engine's operating range. Your engine is overcammed for the compression but the dual plane is helping to cover up that defiency/mismatch. The bigger the cam the weaker the vacuum signal at lower engine speeds and the softer it will feel. Using a single plane will only weaken the signal and make it feel softer with less throttle response. The Performer is the right intake for your application....in it's current configuration   :2thumbs:

Ron

Oh my bad, thanks for setting that straight!   :2thumbs:

Whenever the engine gets rebuilt, the cam will go bye bye and the whole drivetrain will be set up for my application.  I actually look forward to it as it will include a T-56 and hopefully sequential EFI but for now, she'll have to do with what she's got.   :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on February 07, 2014, 01:19:18 PM
ANd there I am running one. :lol:

Ya, but you have 4.10's and a looser than stock converter....that being the case the SD is a good choice for your application.  :yesnod:

Ron

myk

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 08, 2014, 09:27:08 AM

Ya, but you have 4.10's and a looser than stock converter....that being the case the SD is a good choice for your application.  :yesnod:

Ron

So I'm guessing my stock converter with 2.76 gear probably isn't a good choice for the SD.  What about that Weiand Action Plus?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: myk on February 08, 2014, 09:37:07 AM

Ron

So I'm guessing my stock converter with 2.76 gear probably isn't a good choice for the SD...

Ha!  You're granny gears are even worse than mine!  2.96 here   :lol:

Ghoste

Ron

I was laughing about the fact that I couldn't think of a good spreadbore intake a couple of posts earlier.  It does make for a timely illustration though.

myk

Quote from: Dino on February 08, 2014, 09:39:41 AM

Ron

So I'm guessing my stock converter with 2.76 gear probably isn't a good choice for the SD...

Yeah-you can imagine my dismay when I had the car on a lift and discovered the tag on the axle staring back at me.  After the TVS and steering box install I'll start thinking about different gears; it isn't really a priority...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: myk on February 08, 2014, 10:05:10 AM
Quote from: Dino on February 08, 2014, 09:39:41 AM

Ron

Yeah-you can imagine my dismay when I had the car on a lift and discovered the tag on the axle staring back at me.  After the TVS and steering box install I'll start thinking about different gears; it isn't really a priority...

I like the gears.  I cruise way more at 35 and 55 then I do 70.  I rarely take the freeway.  Must've been since spring or summer that I've been on one.

myk

I have to admit that I can JUST tolerate the 2.76 on mine; I take the freeway a lot and if I had a taller gear I'm sure the motor would've spun itself to oblivion by now.  As it is, I'm spinning at around 3K RPM at a mere 70 mph or so...

firefighter3931

Quote from: myk on February 08, 2014, 08:37:30 PM
I have to admit that I can JUST tolerate the 2.76 on mine; I take the freeway a lot and if I had a taller gear I'm sure the motor would've spun itself to oblivion by now.  As it is, I'm spinning at around 3K RPM at a mere 70 mph or so...

Myk,

Either your tach is off or your speedo is off. No way it should be turning 3k at 70mph with 2.76 gears and those tall tires you have on the car.  ;)

Ron

ACUDANUT

Since this thread has been highjacked, I will add my highway story.  I have 4.11 gears with a 4 speed.  My 426 wedge runs at 4k RMP at 60 MPH...It sucks

Ghoste

Cooter

I remember a buddy talking bout how when he was in the service, he'd run his Chevelle at 3500 rpm and 4.11 gears all day long from Georgia to Texas. Now, it seems we can't stand anything over 1500 rpms at 100 mph.

Course, fuel was .35 /gallon too.........
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Mine is about 3000 at 55 and 2750 at 50.  The crux there is that 3000 at cruise seems to be the right conditions to bring the secondaries in because that 250 difference in rpm will see a great deal more fuel useage than say, moving from 2000 rpm to 2500.  I haven't accurately measured any of it, I just know from experience that as soon as I hit that 3000 at a steady cruise I will be stopping much more often to refuel.

ACUDANUT

No Ghoste, Mine are like 255 50 15's.  Could I have a 4.55 ?

firefighter3931

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 09, 2014, 02:11:21 PM
No Ghoste, Mine are like 255 50 15's.  Could I have a 4.55 ?

There is no such tire size.....could it be 255 60 15 ?

Ron

myk

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 08, 2014, 09:09:57 PM
Quote from: myk on February 08, 2014, 08:37:30 PM

Myk,

Either your tach is off or your speedo is off. No way it should be turning 3k at 70mph with 2.76 gears and those tall tires you have on the car.  ;)

Ron

'Speedo cable broke recently so I can't verify the numbers.  I guess the 'speedo would be off anyway, since the car has different wheels/tires...

66FBCharger

As far as intakes, does anyone have any feedback on any of the Mopar Performance intakes (for 440s)?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

myk

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the MP manifolds were just Edelbrock manifolds wearing the MP label...

Ghoste

I think one was similar but I thought they were different?