News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 440 alum. intake recommendations

Started by 66FBCharger, January 31, 2014, 12:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66FBCharger on February 12, 2014, 07:42:02 AM
As far as intakes, does anyone have any feedback on any of the Mopar Performance intakes (for 440s)?

I guess this thread got jacked with all the sidetrack questions so back on topic we go  :icon_smile_big:

The MP std port window manifolds are available in 2 flavors for the single 4bbl carb ;

(1) The MP dual plane is a Performer RPM cast by Edelbrock for Mopar Performance. Identical in every way except the external markings. Good intake for mild-hot 440 with modest gearing that needs lots of low end grunt. Also works well with a mild stroker that is using 3.23 gears. A descent manifold for a street strip 440 that runs a cam profile that will peak at 6k or lower.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dcc-5153525/overview/make/dodge

(2) The MP single plane is a more serious manifold that works better with a hot 440 that is running a big cam, loose stall and lots of gear. Weaker throttle response at lower engine speeds but excellent top end power. Good manifold for a steet/strip stroker that's running a bit of stall and deeper gears.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dcc-4529463/overview/make/dodge

Both of these manifolds are fairly tall and require some mods to the lickdown/throttle linkage assemblies as well as a drop base air cleaner assembly....assuming you want to use a stock hood.

From my experience the street dominator works as well as the M1 single plane and is more user friendly because it is shorter and compatible with the stock throttle/kickdown assemblies. Excellent manifold for a hot 440 with stall & gear or a mild street/strip stroker using a high flowing std port cylinder head like the RPM.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

66FBCharger

Thanks Ron (and everyone else) for the info.
I found a beautiful used Holley 750, dual feed, vac secondary carb that will be replacing the Edelbrock AFB when the weather warms up. I may wait a little bit to replace the stock intake. I am still saving to replace the dist. with a firecore so I can get the engine dialed in. I hope to upgrade this summer.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

70-500-SE-EXPORT

I have the performer rpm on my 383 and love it. The power and torque is excellent at low and high rpm. With a holley carb I needed a drop base air cleaner to use a stock unsilenced hp air cleaner. it only needed to go down 1/2 inch so I modified the stock base. On a press I supported the center and used a cone thet fit where the air cleaner sits. The base bent down the 1/2 I needed without any trouble and allowed me to close my hood.
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

2Luke2

Ron, do you think we would benefit from a switch from the performer to the SD with our 507~8? We are using the XE285HL with a 2800 9.5 stall from PTC if I recall. It might have been 3k stall. Damn I need to call to see what it was haha...

We haven't gotten to drive it much since the rebuild so we aren't even sure what the performer feels like right now haha.. The interior just got pulled out last night to run the remote battery cable to the trunk.

All we can say is SCOPE CREEP!

firefighter3931

Quote from: 2Luke2 on April 10, 2014, 04:35:00 PM
Ron, do you think we would benefit from a switch from the performer to the SD with our 507~8? We are using the XE285HL with a 2800 9.5 stall from PTC if I recall. It might have been 3k stall. Damn I need to call to see what it was haha...

We haven't gotten to drive it much since the rebuild so we aren't even sure what the performer feels like right now haha.. The interior just got pulled out last night to run the remote battery cable to the trunk.

All we can say is SCOPE CREEP!

With that engine package the RPM is fine Luke. It certainly isn't holding the headflow back at all.  :yesnod:

If the heads were ported and you were running a much bigger solid cam then the SD would be a better choice.....and that would only show up at 6000 rpm and above. That cam in a 500in build is all done by 5800 and hyd lifters are also done at approx. the same rpm. The combo is well matched so I'd leave it alone for now.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

2Luke2

Thanks Ron :)

Maybe we will get an itch to get the heads ported and move to a roller came in the years to come lol... I guess we should first worry about pulling it out of our garage after all the maintenance we have done. We are getting close! Just need to run some wiring from the battery in the trunk to the front of the car.

69rtsetracpac

I haven't seen any talk on the Indy 440-2 dual plane, it looks rather tall, would that be a good choice for the OP's combo?
What was I thinking?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69rtsetracpac on April 13, 2014, 12:31:46 PM
I haven't seen any talk on the Indy 440-2 dual plane, it looks rather tall, would that be a good choice for the OP's combo?

The OP has basicly a stock engine based on his description so the ICH 440 dual plane is too much manifold, inmo. The ICH DP is a max wedge manifold that tapers down just before the port opening so the runner volume is quite large. It's got more runner volume than any of the std port single plane intake manifolds including the Victor  :yesnod:

The best application for the ICH DP is on a set of max wedge heads with a street stroker type build where the increased plenum and runner volume match with the increased flow of a max wedge intake port cylinder head  ;)

Ron

69rtsetracpac

What was I thinking?

firefighter3931

You're welcome TracPac  :2thumbs:

Most guys that use the ICH dual plane end up using the die grinder to open the port to max wedge size....port matching if you will.  :yesnod:

The Indy DP is a great choice where hood clearance is an issue. We tested one on my 572 while it was on the dyno and it did make very good power....just not as much as the MP337 which is a low rise single plane. On a 500in pump gas build it would have been a better choice but that 572 makes soooo much torque the single plane worked out better because it made more top end power and it still made massive torque down low. A little less torque just makes it a little more streetable with such a big displacement mill.  ;)

Just for reference ; the Indy DP is the same height as the Performer RPM (just a bit over 5inches tall) and with a drop base air cleaner assembly will clear a stock hood.

Ron

69rtsetracpac

That's good info Ron, I actually have an Indy DP I picked up a couple years ago for cheap, I think because it was powder coated bright blue :shruggy: Anyway my combo right now is similar to the OP's...New rebuild 440, stock hds. headers, mild cam, 4-speed. I would like to upgrade to a set of Indy EZ's or someting comparable and a cam to match. Thanks for the reply.
What was I thinking?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 69rtsetracpac on April 13, 2014, 04:42:47 PM
That's good info Ron, I actually have an Indy DP I picked up a couple years ago for cheap, I think because it was powder coated bright blue :shruggy: Anyway my combo right now is similar to the OP's...New rebuild 440, stock hds. headers, mild cam, 4-speed. I would like to upgrade to a set of Indy EZ's or someting comparable and a cam to match. Thanks for the reply.

That manifold is definately a keeper.....hold onto it and when the time comes use a set of EZ-1's and port match the intake. A 500in pump gas shortblock will easily make 600+ HP/TQ using that top end package  :2thumbs:

Ron

BSB67

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 13, 2014, 05:01:22 PM
Quote from: 69rtsetracpac on April 13, 2014, 04:42:47 PM

That manifold is definately a keeper.....hold onto it and when the time comes use a set of EZ-1's and port match the intake. A 500in pump gas shortblock will easily make 600+ HP/TQ using that top end package  :2thumbs:

Ron

That intake will support that hp with a standard port opening

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph