News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sticking with cast heads for build.

Started by Canadian1968, February 04, 2014, 08:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Wasn't really replying to you....however, the max wedge iron heads are damn near as much as the Eddy's.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Cooter

Year One is like $900.00 for one head.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

A Max Wedge head on a stock stroke 440 is going to feel pretty soft off idle with poor throttle response. The large port window reduces intake port air speed and velocity. What you want is a head the is small (port volume wise) that flows lots of air....best of both worlds.  :2thumbs:

The MW head will make great top end power but low speed performance will suffer....a lot !  :yesnod:

The original application for the MW head was a big compression/solid cam engine that wasn't rpm limited. The powerband was fairly narrow ; 4000-7000 rpm was the sweet spot. The good running maxie's used 4.30+ gears to get that engine speed up fast.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Cooter

Ron, I'm confused. You say huge ports/valves need stupid compression and solid cam with dumptruck gears to perform?
Yet, 426 cubic inch V8's came with massive over ported versions called 'Hemi'.... :D

Canadian1968

Checking out the Eddy heads on Summit racing.

RPM Heads - 60919 - Say they require a min of 2" Header, I never plan on running a header that big. Also says vaccum advance may not fit.

E-street Heads - 5090 - I just don't understand what the diffrence is , 84cc/210cc compared the two and the only difference is the RPM head has rectangle port these have square.

And of course the the angled plug problem ?

ACUDANUT

Dumb question. What is a solid cam ? ain't they all solid.  :scratchchin:

Cooter

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 12, 2014, 06:41:08 PM
Dumb question. What is a solid cam ? ain't they all solid.  :scratchchin:

Solid lifters-requires adjustable rockers...

Vs

Hydraulic lifter cam

JB400

Solid refers to the lifters.

Beat me by 20 seconds :lol:

ACUDANUT

I never played with adjustable rockers.  I like the hydraulic stock system. No brainer, and it works for me.

69wannabe

Stock rockers work for most hydraulic but some of the larger hydraulic cams need an adjustable valve train these days. It just gives you full control of your valve train if you plan to go from hydraulic to a solid cam.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Cooter on February 12, 2014, 01:39:56 PM
Ron, I'm confused. You say huge ports/valves need stupid compression and solid cam with dumptruck gears to perform?
Yet, 426 cubic inch V8's came with massive over ported versions called 'Hemi'.... :D

Ya, and we all know how well those run with 3.23 gears and a 2k stall  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Canadian1968 on February 12, 2014, 05:19:20 PM
Checking out the Eddy heads on Summit racing.

RPM Heads - 60919 - Say they require a min of 2" Header, I never plan on running a header that big. Also says vaccum advance may not fit.

E-street Heads - 5090 - I just don't understand what the diffrence is , 84cc/210cc compared the two and the only difference is the RPM head has rectangle port these have square.

And of course the the angled plug problem ?

The 60919 is a bare head.....you would want the 60929 which is a complete, ready to run unit.  :yesnod:

The E-Street head is basicly the same as an RPM but has lower quality valve seats....hence the difference in price.  ;) The E-street is also available with a 75cc chamber for guys that have low compression engines with pistons that are way down in the hole and need a compression bump.

TTI makes a nice 1 7/8 in header that works fantastic with the RPM heads.  :2thumbs:

I guess you need to sit down and figure out a budget to determine how much you have to spend on this part of the project.  :scratchchin:

Ron

Cooter

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 13, 2014, 08:25:53 AM

Ya, and we all know how well those run with 3.23 gears and a 2k stall  :lol:

Ron

:smilielol:

Back N Black

I have the Eddy heads, Eddy RPM Intake and Comp cam with 1 7/8 TTI headers, engine dyno at 500 hp and 550 ft torque. I don't have alot of money into the engine, it really dosen't take much to get 500 hp out of a 440.

BSB67

Quote from: Back N Black on February 14, 2014, 09:54:51 PM
I have the Eddy heads, Eddy RPM Intake and Comp cam with 1 7/8 TTI headers, engine dyno at 500 hp and 550 ft torque. I don't have alot of money into the engine, it really dosen't take much to get 500 hp out of a 440.

Very nice.  Have you ever taken it to the track?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Canadian1968

And the rest of your engine is stock?

Back N Black

Quote from: Canadian1968 on February 15, 2014, 09:40:01 AM

Complete rebuild, 30 over, stock bottom end.

Canadian1968

Quote from: Back N Black on February 15, 2014, 02:55:49 PM
Quote from: Canadian1968 on February 15, 2014, 09:40:01 AM

Complete rebuild, 30 over, stock bottom end.

Your running stock pistions??  Stock rockers ??

That still about 6000 - 7000 build start saving my pennies !

don duick

I bought a pair of edelbrock rpm heads and took them to the machine shop to have them checked out. 2 exhaust valves on one head did not seal had the seats cut and the valves faced. also changed springs locks and retainers. I was warned not to use these straight out of the box.

charge69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 13, 2014, 08:25:53 AM

Ya, and we all know how well those run with 3.23 gears and a 2k stall  :lol:

Ron

Actually, mine ran very well when it was stone stock back in the late '70;s.  Now, with a complete professional shop rebuild and now 30 thousands' overbore ( now about 432 cu. in.), 11 to 1 JE custom pistons, CompCams one-off (that means made especially for this build, not off the shelf) hydraulic roller cam and complete set up with springs, custom pushrods, Manley SS valves and hardened valve seats, stock bottom end but Manley H-beam rods and caps and complete ARP bolt kit and a few other subtle but done-right tricks, it makes 588hp @ 6500rpms on the dyno and was still climbing as we shut it down. It's a snarly beast now with a rough idle that really get's your attention if you are near it. The drooling over it when the hood opens is abundant!

I have factory-installed 3.23 gears and am using the original 2500rpm torque converter. It could use a higher rpm torque converter but the original works for me and I doubt you would think it runs bad with it! Matter of fact, you better get out of the way as it begins to wail away on its' original twin 4-barrel intake, AFB Carbs and TTi X-Pipe exhaust!

My friend who helped me with the restoration has a '74 Challenger he restored using a nice 383/727 auto combo with an 8 3/4 rear and he has taken it down the strip with everything from a 2.76 to a 4.30 and it makes about 1/2 second advantage using the 4.30's vs the 2.76.  He would love to have a 3.23 in it for just running around on the street as he agrees with me that the 3.23 is the best street combo going! Just to let you know, his times with it are high 12's with the short gearing to low 13's with the tall gears. He also has a badazz '69 Roadrunner, fully restored with the numbers-matching motor and 727 auto pulled and a 451 stroker in its' place that turns 11.20's @ 120mph thru the mufflers resting inside it now. I believe he runs 3.55 gears in it for those times! Next to be restored is his '70 cuda 440-6 with a shaker hood that is original and an unusual B3 color!

Could my Charger use a higher stall converter and steeper gears? probably but, it runs great now and I am happy with it!