News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Automatic Transmission problem.. need help!

Started by pullrock, January 26, 2014, 07:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrock

Hi All,

It is really frustrating that the sun is still shining here in California and I can't drive my Charger.  The trans is killing me! :brickwall: This trans has about 1500 miles on it or less.  It goes into reverse but barely pulls.  It will clunk into drive but does not pull like it should or used to...  Not sure if there is something wrong with the trans or the torque converter gave out.  Here is what the trans pan looks like.  Does this look look normal?   

ws23rt

It sounds like a complete check of set up adjustments is needed.--- Linkage, circuit pressures, band adj, etc.---
The lack of glitter in the fluid and that it is not dark are positive indicators.

Of course a proper and functional TQ is needed.

Your post gives little to go on.  Btw what trans is this?

John_Kunkel

Generally speaking, a converter failure fills the pan with hard debris.

I'd check the line pressure at the accumulator in Drive.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

pullrock

Thanks guys for the response!  Once I removed the pan and checked the filter that is all I know about the 727 big block trans.  There is a lever that I think is for reverse should be under tension which I can move with my hand.  It is very lose and it seems to have a nut on it but it is tight.  How would I check the pressure?

Thanks,

Eric

2Luke2

Those levers will be a bit loose if they are configured correctly. The fluid looks normalish to me. Here's what bad fluid looks like. :)

ACUDANUT

Quote from: pullrock on January 31, 2014, 12:23:57 AM
Thanks guys for the response!  Once I removed the pan and checked the filter that is all I know about the 727 big block trans.  There is a lever that I think is for reverse should be under tension which I can move with my hand.  It is very lose and it seems to have a nut on it but it is tight.  How would I check the pressure?

Thanks,

Eric

A transmission shop ?  :shruggy:

bulleteater

Hi guys, I am really getting frustrated with my 69 charger.. I had my motor rebuilt and decided to take my car out for a drive around the block and get some gas. Well I put my car in gear and it wouldn't move. Come to find out the transmission welded itself to the torque converter so I had the Damn thing rebuilt.. Well I got it back installed it put some fluid in, cranked the motor over waited for my car to warm up to check the fluid level and well to make a long story short my car isn't moving I have no reverse no drive.. What could the problem be? I haven't moved the linkage so I don't think that's it.. Thanks guys
Brant

A383Wing

did you check fluid with engine running and in neutral?

cudaken

Bull, sounds like the converter is not all the way on the input / pump shaft.

Watch the Road Kill Charger video, they made the same mistake.
I am back

John_Kunkel

Quote from: bulleteater on February 12, 2014, 07:30:16 PM
cranked the motor over waited for my car to warm up to check the fluid level and well to make a long story short my car isn't moving I have no reverse no drive

Did you let it warm up in Neutral before checking the fluid level? If the fluid level is correct, try running it Neutral for a few seconds before placing it in gear....if it still won't go into gear you have bigger problems.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: cudaken on February 12, 2014, 11:12:12 PM

Bull, sounds like the converter is not all the way on the input / pump shaft.

Watch the Road Kill Charger video, they made the same mistake.

If that is the case, the transmission will have to be rebuilt again.  It happened to me in my rookie years.

John_Kunkel

If the converter weren't "all the way in" you couldn't mate the engine/trans.

Pump failure from improper installation is a real possibility but the trans has 1500 miles.

John_Kunkel

Sounds like you're dying top tell a story...have at it.

If the converter wasn't all the way in, the trans wouldn't mate to the block; if one were to go ahead and pull the trans up with the bolts, the pump would fail immediately, not 1500 miles later.

ws23rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 15, 2014, 06:42:40 PM

If the converter wasn't all the way in, the trans wouldn't mate to the block; if one were to go ahead and pull the trans up with the bolts, the pump would fail immediately, not 1500 miles later.

:2thumbs: :smilielol:

cudaken

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 15, 2014, 06:42:40 PM

John, have you watched the Road Kill Charger video? While it did not last 1500 miles they did drive it before the 727 gave up the ghost.
I am back

John_Kunkel

Haven't watched the video but I'm aware of situations where the failed pump would provide some pressure via the "windmill effect" but that doesn't discount the fact that the pump did actually fail.

cudaken

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 16, 2014, 06:22:49 PM
Haven't watched the video but I'm aware of situations where the failed pump would provide some pressure via the "windmill effect" but that doesn't discount the fact that the pump did actually fail.

Here is the link John.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JXDcJQqZrA

While I have not installed the converter wrong, I was warned about it way back! It may be in my factory Chrysler Shop Manual. I all wise scrape a line in the bell housing of where the ring gear is located to make sure the converter is fully seated.

Rule of thumb, once you think the converter is on the shaft, keep playing with it till it moves back a 1/4 inch more and you hear a hallow thunk!

Ken
I am back

John_Kunkel

Sorry, I don't intend to sit through a 40-minute video to get your point.

No need to scribe any marks, just lay a straight edge across the bellhousing face and measure into the converter drive lugs...the lugs should be in a minimum of 1/2" to assure the converter is fully seated.