News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hotchkis TVS vs XV Motorsports Level I B-Body Suspension?

Started by krigel, February 14, 2014, 10:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

I've read the same thing on a few other forums as well.  I've also read that there's been quite a few unhappy customers.  Maybe these two are going hand in hand.  Not a surprise really.  Most of their bracing kits can be made in your own garage if you have a pipe bender.

krigel

I've read that their quality is lacking too. I love the idea of the TVS, but really don't want to slam the car. A guy in town here said worked on a Charger with it , and he couldn't get a floor jack under the sway bar in the front, or back. I'm thinking Hotchkis sway bars, subframes, torsion bars, strut rods and steering rods with Mopar leaf springs and a firm feel stage 3 box. Thoughts?

dangina

Quote from: krigel on March 01, 2014, 06:01:58 PM
I've read that their quality is lacking too. I love the idea of the TVS, but really don't want to slam the car. A guy in town here said worked on a Charger with it , and he couldn't get a floor jack under the sway bar in the front, or back. I'm thinking Hotchkis sway bars, subframes, torsion bars, strut rods and steering rods with Mopar leaf springs and a firm feel stage 3 box. Thoughts?

hotchkis is just about done with finishing thier new springs for the 71-74 bbodies

Supercharged Riot

You can scratch XV Motorsports as an option.
I heard they went out of business

charger496

Wookie316, what kind and size tire are you running on your Bee? I have the same wheels, and love the ability to put "real" modern rubber under my car, instead of BFG's. Mine are 17x9 in the back, and have 275/40/17's. I run through tires quick, what with the donuts and burnouts and such, so I'll be replacing them soon. A taller sidewall would lower highway rpm's, but I don't want it to feel squirmy in the rear.

myk

Quote from: Wookie316 on March 01, 2014, 04:47:30 PM
Sounds like XV may be closing its doors. I cannot confirm that though.

It would explain why their inventory hasn't been stocked in a LONG time.  Never fear though, there're still plenty of suspension vendors that are just as capable and ready to upgrade our cars.  If any of you doubt vendors like Hotchkis have no fear; I just installed their rear sway bar ONLY and I can already feel the difference...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Wookie316

Quote from: charger496 on March 01, 2014, 09:13:19 PM
   Wookie316, what kind and size tire are you running on your Bee? I have the same wheels, and love the ability to put "real" modern rubber under my car, instead of BFG's. Mine are 17x9 in the back, and have 275/40/17's. I run through tires quick, what with the donuts and burnouts and such, so I'll be replacing them soon. A taller sidewall would lower highway rpm's, but I don't want it to feel squirmy in the rear.

295/45R17 MT ET Drag Radial rear.
255/50R17 Nitto 555 front
17x9 rear
17x8 front
1971 Plum Crazy SupeBee. 400 bored and stroked to 511, 727 spinning a Dana 4.30

krigel

Last post before I pull the trigger....have done more research, and am wondering if the Hotchkis rear springs are too low....The TVS looks like an awesome overall package, and I can get it at wholesale, which is always great, but I am wondering if I shouldn't skip the rear springs and get a set from Firm Feel when I order the steering box. If they are too high, I can run a lowering block. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

KR

myk

Check out White and Red 69's car; he has the full TVS system including the springs; I like the way his car sits.  However, I'm sorta thinking the same thing you are; I like the way my car sits now, and I'm also concerned the Hotchkis pieces will drop the rear too much for my liking.  Another concern I have is that the Hotchkis TVS is calibrated to work with their rear springs; if I buy a different brand or leave my stock springs will that "throw off" the suspension setup that is 99% Hotchkis?  If that's the case I'll go with the Hotchkis springs; function over form...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

krigel

That's exactly where I am with my thinking too. Are your springs stock height?

myk

Stock springs, but they're sagged from age.  Funny thing is they're exactly where I like them...

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on March 18, 2014, 09:36:00 AM
Check out White and Red 69's car; he has the full TVS system including the springs; I like the way his car sits.  However, I'm sorta thinking the same thing you are; I like the way my car sits now, and I'm also concerned the Hotchkis pieces will drop the rear too much for my liking.  Another concern I have is that the Hotchkis TVS is calibrated to work with their rear springs; if I buy a different brand or leave my stock springs will that "throw off" the suspension setup that is 99% Hotchkis?  If that's the case I'll go with the Hotchkis springs; function over form...

yup myk be careful with the hotckis setup you will drop and if yoru stuff is too low you will scrape things.  The overall diameter of my wheel setup is what is saving me from scraping everything on the ground....

myk

I already scrape everything in my '97 Z28 and '99 F-bird, so I'm used to doing the "speed bump crawl."  Do you have the Hotchkis springs?  Have you had a chance to test out your new UCA's?

Calif240

Ive got Hotchkis all around and love it. I purchased the parts one piece at a time as I had a rebuild of different parts. I would've bought the TVS to save a few $$, but didn't plan on originally doing Hotchkis all the way around. Love Hotchkis quality and love the handling, could definitely tell a difference as I added each component. If you want to go cheap, I would start with Torsion bars, front and rear sway, and rear leaf. For the money, that gives you a heck of an improvement over stock. I also went ahead and got a Stage III steering box from firm feel which helped a lot.

Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

krigel

Thanks for all the input...I ordered the Hotchkis TVS, Torsion Bars, and shocks, as well as a  Firm Feel Stage III box yesterday. 2 week delivery time...can't wait to start bolting this stuff on!

chargedup68

Reilly Motorsports has a great kit and installation is pretty easy, give them a look. 
68 Charger, 608/683 505 cu in. Muscle Motors Stroker, MASS Flo EFI. Reilly Motorsports Alterkation/Street Lynx suspension, Wilwood brakes, Strange Dana 60 4.11 gears, Tremec TKO 600

myk

Quote from: krigel on March 20, 2014, 08:32:49 PM
Thanks for all the input...I ordered the Hotchkis TVS, Torsion Bars, and shocks, as well as a  Firm Feel Stage III box yesterday. 2 week delivery time...can't wait to start bolting this stuff on!

Damn this guy just dropped a few grand like it was hot!

krigel

myk

Quote from: krigel on March 21, 2014, 07:22:03 AM
It's only money dude..you'll make more tomorrow.

Hey I'm just jealous-I'm havng to piece my TVS together.   :2thumbs:

krigel

I'm the kind of person that has to do it all at once, or I get frustrated. I'm pumped to take it for one last ride before I rip it apart and feel the difference.

KR

myk

Quote from: krigel on March 21, 2014, 08:54:49 PM
I'm the kind of person that has to do it all at once, or I get frustrated. I'm pumped to take it for one last ride before I rip it apart and feel the difference.

KR

I'm the same way, and now I'm stuck with a "half baked" suspension, but I just paid off my credit cards so I'm going to have to wait, although painfully, lol.  I agree with you on the last ride though; I only wish I could've taken the car to a track before I installed the shocks and sway bars and then for every future 'mod and get some real-life numbers, just like they do in the magazines...

familymopar

Quote from: myk on February 15, 2014, 09:13:43 AM
Quote from: krigel on February 14, 2014, 10:41:06 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I have thought about seats. My interior is good, but I was thinking about the Legendary Rallye seats with the proper 68 pleats. They look cool.

Try these ProCar Rally 1000 seats, for about $400 each:

Sitting in that chair I know I'm not going anywhere unless I roll the car over.  The bolsters make it somewhat difficult to get in and out of the Charger but it's a price I'm willing to pay.

Question: why doesn't Hotchkis offer a lower-control arm or a tubular K-member?  Are they not as critical as the parts they already produce? 

myk, I really like those seats and the price is right!  Was it an easy install?  Did you use the original seat track or did they come with some?  Did you use the same mounting holes?  Any drilling, etc. required?  Thanks!

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

myk

I've heard of people using the original seat tracks, or coming up with their own thing, but I tried to take the easy way out and use Procar's own bracketry to simplify things.  Procar would have you believe their seats and tracks drop right in, ultimately, I had to drill in a few holes to install the new seat tracks. 

I love the seats and they are HIGHLY functional.  Even with a lousy lapbelt-only setup, the seats do a great job of keeping me in place.  During longer trips the seats are comfortable enough so I don't feel abused by the seat at the next stop.  I will warn potential buyers that there is no up or down adjustment on the seats.  Also, the Procar brackets/tracks are not concealed very well, meaning that anyone in the backseat can see the equipment; there's even a slight loss of footspace from the backseat point of view.  Finally, those high bolsters do very well in keeping the driver planted, however they make getting in and out of the car slightly laborious as now you have to "lift" yourself over the bolsters all of the time.  Again, I love the seats, despite their apparent drawbacks.  Personally, I didn't see many alternatives when looking for a great looking seat that was ALSO functional.  If you're used to the OEM "bucket" seats and spirited driving, once you install these seats there is no going back...

familymopar

Quote from: myk on March 28, 2014, 01:57:55 PM
I've heard of people using the original seat tracks, or coming up with their own thing, but I tried to take the easy way out and use Procar's own bracketry to simplify things.  Procar would have you believe their seats and tracks drop right in, ultimately, I had to drill in a few holes to install the new seat tracks. 

I love the seats and they are HIGHLY functional.  Even with a lousy lapbelt-only setup, the seats do a great job of keeping me in place.  During longer trips the seats are comfortable enough so I don't feel abused by the seat at the next stop.  I will warn potential buyers that there is no up or down adjustment on the seats.  Also, the Procar brackets/tracks are not concealed very well, meaning that anyone in the backseat can see the equipment; there's even a slight loss of footspace from the backseat point of view.  Finally, those high bolsters do very well in keeping the driver planted, however they make getting in and out of the car slightly laborious as now you have to "lift" yourself over the bolsters all of the time.  Again, I love the seats, despite their apparent drawbacks.  Personally, I didn't see many alternatives when looking for a great looking seat that was ALSO functional.  If you're used to the OEM "bucket" seats and spirited driving, once you install these seats there is no going back...

Thanks for the info!  It seems like a small price to pay for such sharp and supportive seats, and a great price.  When you said they do not go up and down, do you mean in ride height or front to back?

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

myk

Yes, no up and down; they go forward and back just fine.  Also, the seats tilt forward to help gain access to the rear...