News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'72 vs. '73 Charger Trunk Lids

Started by parkerswede, March 06, 2006, 11:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkerswede

Is a 1973 Charger trunk lid the same as a 1972 trunk lid? Thanks.

purple70rt

It will fit, but I think the size of the lock is diffrent and 73 may not have spoiler cut outs.

Nacho-RT74

:iagree:

same with lock difference since 73. I dont know EXACTLY were is the difference about it, but I know there is different par number about that. Trunk by itself is completely interchangeable all years.

spoliers cut outs were really on 71, but maybe some 72 also have them
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1970440RT

I'm pretty sure the 71-72 have a relatively flat ( Horizontal ) back section right before the sheetmetal rolls over to form the back where it meets the bumper.  On 73-74 the back section ramped up slightly before turning down to meet the bumper.  A kind of built in spoiler.  A 71 -72 trunklid will bolt up to 73-74 but will not be even with the tops of the quarter panels at the rear of the car. This was one of the changes in the body from 72 to 73.

ipstrategies

Well I was told by chargerkid (Rob) that the only differences were the (larger lock on73/74 and no cutouts for rear wing) I needed  trunklid for my 71 and found a great rustfree one from a 73. I have not tried it yet but if what you are saying is true about the rear section I will be looking again. I thought all 3rd gens had the built rear spoiler.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

1970440RT

When I originally got my 73, it had a trunk lid from a 71 or 72 on it and didn't look right.  Something was wrong with the fit but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was wrong.  I figured out the difference after I went junkyarding and compared a bunch of different trunk lids off of 3rd gens.  When you get some next to each other, it is pretty obvious.  I finally found a rust free lid off of a 73 in a yard in Washington PA and it fits perfect.

ipstrategies

Thanks for the help. I will check it out this weekend. I may have to list the 73 trunklid in forsale section, as I will want a good fit. Maybe I should just repair the one on my 71 as it has a luggage rack that at first I did not like but it has grown on me.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 1970440RT on March 08, 2006, 10:15:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the 71-72 have a relatively flat ( Horizontal ) back section right before the sheetmetal rolls over to form the back where it meets the bumper. On 73-74 the back section ramped up slightly before turning down to meet the bumper. A kind of built in spoiler. A 71 -72 trunklid will bolt up to 73-74 but will not be even with the tops of the quarter panels at the rear of the car. This was one of the changes in the body from 72 to 73.

I was also pretty sure about that long time ago, but it looks is an optical impression because the "lift up" body line at the end of quarter and also different quarter extensions for same reason.

BUT quarter extensions are different shape on outer edge however same height on inner edge between both, so trunk lid is also same height We can arrive to conclusion if they share same height on rear both are same on top

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html