News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 R/T Louvered Hood Insert Question?

Started by 72Rallye440, March 08, 2006, 09:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Rallye440

I'm excited that I was finally able to find a nice set of upper and lower hood louvers for my 71 R/T. Its been a 2 year hunt and marks the last rare part I needed to have a complete car to start the project. They weren't cheap but they don't come up for sale that often.

Can anyone tell me what kind of fasteners hold the 2 pieces to the hood and are they available? Also, what does the drain plug plug look like the attaches to the passenger side of the lower insert?

All you guys and gals are great and any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

rich4406bbl

I don't know about the drain plug but try www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com for the "bell" nuts that hold the insert/tray to the hood.

twilt

insert is held by "special" bell nuts They are reproduced but Xpensive. seems to me that they run about $16 EACH. who makes them?  i dont remember for sure  but i think it might be Roger Gibson restorations. did you get the $995 ebay unit? It looked very  nice......... and Xpensive.

WM23N1

I think yearone carries them also. Yeah they are pretty expensive.
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

72Rallye440

Twilt,
Yes, the $950.00 E-Bay auction was me and I struggled with this for 2 weeks. I decided to do it because I've been unable to find a set for so long and I only paid $300.00 for a near mint hood last year. Now I have an extra top louvers but I figure I can also recoup some of my $$ from the sale of that part.

72Rallye440

twilt

Quote from: 72Rallye440 on March 08, 2006, 10:01:50 PM
Twilt,
Yes, the $950.00 E-Bay auction was me and I struggled with this for 2 weeks. I decided to do it because I've been unable to find a set for so long and I only paid $300.00 for a near mint hood last year. Now I have an extra top louvers but I figure I can also recoup some of my $$ from the sale of that part.

72Rallye440

My best friend was in the same predicament. He had a hood and top louver but no bottom peice also. He ended buying another complete hood.
Sometimes price isn`t everything. When you figure the total cost of a restoration, paying a few extra hundred for a hard to find part, in the end is just a drop in the bucket. 

hemi68charger

Quote from: rich4406bbl on March 08, 2006, 09:45:51 PM
I don't know about the drain plug but try www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com for the "bell" nuts that hold the insert/tray to the hood.

I bought a set for my '71 Charger R/T I used to have and they are pretty much dead on. I would go with that... Now, do you have the 4 inner nuts? There are those bell nuts that hold the perimeter of the louver to the hood, but there's also the middle nuts which look alot lihe the nuts used on various side marker light bezels....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

72Rallye440

Troy,
I have nothing but the 2 piece insert set and thats it. Do you have any pictures from your R/T?

THANKS for all the help!
           Dewey

hemi68charger

Quote from: 72Rallye440 on March 09, 2006, 04:24:45 PM
Troy,
I have nothing but the 2 piece insert set and thats it. Do you have any pictures from your R/T?

THANKS for all the help!
           Dewey

Hopefully you can see it, but down the middle is the additional nuts that hold the louver half to the base half.... It should be obvious to you once you look how it's put together and see the stud from the louver sticking through the base....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection