News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dashpad confusion

Started by hambone, February 14, 2014, 12:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hambone

vinyl vs. urethane? I'm looking to do a budget restoration as I do not have a lot of cash. all I have to work with is the frame. Also, core charges? I'm confused by those. Are they charging you for not sending your original dash? And lastly if I order a repro pad, do I need a mount for it or something, other than the frame it will sit on?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I have absolutely no experience in this field.

Dino

Is this a specific place that asks for cores and gives you a material option?  I only know of the dash pads sold at BE/A and the likes and those are ready to bolt to your dash frame.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Troy

Just Dashes recovers original pads (or at least they used to). They were the only game in town before the repros came out.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ODZKing

Ham,
I got mine from Carolina Super Dash  :yesnod:  http://nozgraphics.com/restoration/superior.html
They are excellent quality and done on OEM frames. I don't know why they wouldn't do your own frame but no doubt it would take much longer.

hambone

Quote from: Dino on February 14, 2014, 01:11:43 PM
Is this a specific place that asks for cores and gives you a material option?  I only know of the dash pads sold at BE/A and the likes and those are ready to bolt to your dash frame.

Mostly just the ebay sellers and Moparts (i think). vinyl was the only option on the ebay one. And, Moparts had a choice of vinyl for around 360 and urethane for around 250. If I just get the pad, where do I get the mount and the hardware?

Ghoste

The pad should include the studs to mount it as they are built in and the nuts to tighten should be on your existing one.

polywideblock

I recently bought one of these for the roadrunner   http://www.ebay.com/itm/291079940149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

they are remanufactured

was pleasantly surprised its an excellent item on the original frame so should bolt right in ,they charged 35$ core charge for not shipping my dash as core.

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Dino

Quote from: hambone on February 15, 2014, 05:57:18 PM
Quote from: Dino on February 14, 2014, 01:11:43 PM

Mostly just the ebay sellers and Moparts (i think). vinyl was the only option on the ebay one. And, Moparts had a choice of vinyl for around 360 and urethane for around 250. If I just get the pad, where do I get the mount and the hardware?

Interesting, did not know there were options!   :2thumbs:

The studs are secured in the pad so all you need to do is remove the old and bolt the new in place.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hambone

Quote from: polywideblock on February 15, 2014, 06:47:39 PM
I recently bought one of these for the roadrunner   http://www.ebay.com/itm/291079940149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

they are remanufactured

was pleasantly surprised its an excellent item on the original frame so should bolt right in ,they charged 35$ core charge for not shipping my dash as core.

I've been looking at that one and some others. So, I guess the question now is; i'm looking at about 5-6 hundred after core charge and shipping. Are there any cheaper options without having to sacrifice quality?

Ghoste

polywideblock

Quote from: hambone on February 16, 2014, 08:32:47 AM
Quote from: polywideblock on February 15, 2014, 06:47:39 PM

they are remanufactured

I've been looking at that one and some others. So, I guess the question now is; i'm looking at about 5-6 hundred after core charge and shipping. Are there any cheaper options without having to sacrifice quality?

where are you? I'm in Australia cost including shipping was $600  which was cheap compared to buying from someone over here or buying from just dashes and then shipping  :Twocents:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Lord Warlock

A core charge mainly means that to avoid the core charge, you need to send them the old piece you remove and replace with the new part  In most cases you pay the core charge up front, and they issue a refund to you when they get the core in return mail.  They'll use your old one to build a new one to sell to someone else.  Haven't run into anyone asking for a core on this part, just ordered a new dash pad from PG Classics, waiting for it to arrive next week, won't go in the car for quite a while though, plan on storing it till i'm ready to tear the dash apart or when i take the cluster out for repairs.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

Ghoste

I think the core charge is at Just Dashes.  :shruggy:

hambone

Lots great input, I really appreciate it! Now, if anyone can tell me what BEA stands for so I can visit their site. Also, i'm state side if that helps anyone.

Ghoste