News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have an aftermarket console top set?

Started by timmycharger, February 27, 2014, 09:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

The OEM plastic console bodies are a cheap flimsy design.  That's the real issue. 

bull

Maybe. But if by saying that you mean to say the aftermarket consoles are better I can say that is definitely not the case.

charger Downunder

I dont have an after market one but the studs that the acorn nuts go onto are soft metal on the original. So you think they would improve on this in the repro ones. I reckon the original spring has to much tension for the console shell and puts extra strain on the acorn nuts.
[/quote]

Brock Lee

Quote from: bull on November 26, 2015, 02:59:32 PM
Maybe. But if by saying that you mean to say the aftermarket consoles are better I can say that is definitely not the case.

They are just as crappy as the originals. But what is worse, you can see they used a typically warped original as their base. So you not only are dealing with the same flimsy plastic, but it was molded pre-warped.

Mike DC

The only way to make these consoles non-shitty is a much more reinforced version of the shell.  Something heavier in weight and probably different looking underneath.  

Any low/flat console between two front bucket seats needs to be much stronger than this thing ever was.  Especially on a 2dr car.  Consoles ALWAYS  get sat upon & climbed over by passengers periodically.  It's standard treatment for cars that live in the real world.  If the factory didn't build the console strong enough for that treatment then they under-built it.