News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where is the fuel cap on a 1970 Plymouth Superbird?

Started by Crazy Larry, March 10, 2006, 08:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Larry

I've been wondering this for a while - out of all my books and pictures, I can never see an outline for a door to a fuel fill on a Plymouth Superbird.

Any of you guys have an exact location? (with picture would be cool too)

Just curious.... :-\

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Crazy Larry

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Crazy Larry

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 11, 2006, 03:14:38 AM
"D'OH"
                   :pity:

In my defense, I mean how was I supposed to know - the few that I have seen in person - the owners stand guard over them with machine guns so I couldn't just go around pullin' on license plates. Some have gotten shot for less.  :icon_smile_big:

But then again, I always forget to look when I am near one 'cause they are so cool and it distracts me from any questions.

I imagine the fill tube does not go through the trunk though like on the Chargers.

Anyone have any pictures???

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Crazy Larry

I was flipping through a book with pictures of Superbirds, and that license plate is pretty low on the car. It must be a bitch to look cool while putting gas into it.

I'll stick with the Chargers...and their top-fender flip top gas cap - you look bad ass when leaning against the car refueling.

Moparstud440

anyone know why they did that on some cars like on some plymouths, but not the dodges?

Ghoste

Dodge Coronet and Super Bee are behind the plate and so is the Plymouth E-body.  I think it was just a cool thing back then.  "Look Ma, no fuel filler"!
Some of the Ford intermediates have it behind the plate and I'd bet some Chev's do too.

DonC

What about on NASCAR Birds...wasn't the fuel filler up top on the quarter?

Ghoste

Yep, on the side of the driver's quarter just beneath the wing upright.

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on March 11, 2006, 07:47:22 PM
Yep, on the side of the driver's quarter just beneath the wing upright.

:iagree:

2nd Gen Charger fuel fillers (on racecars) were relocated to pretty much the same spot too - no one used the flip-top cap's location, and they couldn't use a flip-top cap anyway.  I'm not sure if the location was a Nascar mandate, if it was inconvenient when located up on the quarter, or if there was some other reason why they put it below the upright

Ghoste

Only guessing here, but it was likely easier to stick the fuel can in from the side than to try and heave it up above the deck lid somewhere and then stab it into a hole on the top.  Just seems to me that it'd be easier to hit the spot from the side.

hemigeno

Quote from: Ghoste on March 11, 2006, 09:15:43 PM
Only guessing here, but it was likely easier to stick the fuel can in from the side than to try and heave it up above the deck lid somewhere and then stab it into a hole on the top.  Just seems to me that it'd be easier to hit the spot from the side.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, and just for the sake of discussion (after all, this is a discussion board!)...

Couldn't they have just shortened the neck of the fuel cans so you wouldn't have to lift the can any higher than you would for a side-fill car?  The difference would only be a few inches, probably less than a foot.  Also, if you had the filler on the top of the quarter, the car itself would support the weight of the can, making the gas man work less by having to mostly balance the can once it was up there.

Of course, I may have answered my own question there, since it might be easy for a gas man to lose control of a can, and have it spill gas all over everyone.  He could just plain lose his grip on the can, or it could be jarred loose when they jacked up the left side of the car.  Additionally, if the filler location was where the Charger's cap is the gas man would be in the way while changing the rear tire, especially for the rear tire carrier.

There is almost certainly a reason why they didn't use that location, but I'm totally guessing as to why that was.

Ghoste

I wasn't thinking of the height as a factor on it's own but more in relation to the weight.  I guess I was trying to imagine carrying that can and at it's weight, attempting to stab it into a hole on the top of the car as opposed to wallowing up to the side and sort of "crashing" it into a hole there.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 11, 2006, 04:11:45 AM

In my defense, I mean how was I supposed to know - the few that I have seen in person - the owners stand guard over them with machine guns

That sucks.... .   My boss let me take his Bird to Burger King to grab Lunch    :yesnod:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Crazy Larry

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 13, 2006, 10:51:49 PM
Quote from: Crazy Larry on March 11, 2006, 04:11:45 AM

In my defense, I mean how was I supposed to know - the few that I have seen in person - the owners stand guard over them with machine guns

That sucks.... .   My boss let me take his Bird to Burger King to grab Lunch    :yesnod:

You have one very cool boss - not only a Mopar enthusiast for owning one of those - but he let's you take it to Burger King?!

I envy you, sir.

Old Moparz

I almost like the cap behind the plate, but the spring pulling upward while you fill up is a PITA. I haven't done it in a while, but if you top off the tank & forget it's that full, launching from a dead stop can be messy with splashing gasoline spilling back out of the filler tube. The caps aren't exactly leak proof.

They do look cool without a cap or a door somewhere on the body. :2thumbs:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BigBlockSam

i never fill the rr up to the top of the gas tank , just for that reason

hotrod98

One of the best things about having the filler behind the license plate is that when you accidentally spill a little gas, it drips on the ground and not down the side of the quarter panel. Helps keep them clean when you're heading to the car show. :yesnod:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams