News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd gen rallye gauges question

Started by Dino, March 29, 2014, 11:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

In the voltmeter thread we briefly spoke about the cutouts in the gauge faces of the 4 smaller gauges to allow the light to illuminate them properly.  So here I am looking at these gauges and except for the fuel gauge, all the openings are on the top right...so how does this light flow exactly?

When I restored mine and reinstalled everything somehow I lost illumination on the right side of the speedometer and left side of the fuel gauge and also half of another gauge wasn't lit up.  I checked to make sure I used the correct faces as I did move some to other gauge housings but they all match up.  The small white markings on PCG's decals also line up with the cutouts.  I want to make sure that if I use this spare temp gauge for my voltmeter, everything will light up as it should.  The circuit board had issues which are remedied so I'm hopeful it'll work now.  I'll also be using led's.  

For those who have the cluster out, please look at the small gauges and see if you can confirm this:

All four gauges have a roughly 1/4" edge around them with a cutout.  The temp gauge has a cutout on the top right that goes almost down to the gauge face.  The oil pressure and ammeter have a thinner cutout on the top right and look pretty much the same as far as the face goes and finally the fuel gauge has a thin cutout on the far right of the edge.

The way the lamps are placed in the housing you would think that the temp and alt gauge had the cutout on the top left but it doesn't seem to work that way.   :icon_smile_big:

Pictures are welcome!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger4404spd

Just got through painting mine, waiting on the overlays. I have them laid out in order.

Just 6T9 CHGR

My point exactly!  Thats why I originally made that statement in the other thread about the cutout.  You would THINK that the cutouts should match the bulb placement in the cluster...it does not.
The reason why some gauges are flooded with light & others not so much...see pic

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

Well I'll be...

I always thought the lighting was off because I never had all the bulbs work at the same time.   :lol:

You know what that means gentlemen!  I'm gonna add a few cutouts.   :yesnod:

We need more pics of clusters in the dark with the lights on so I can estimate where to add them and how much of it.

Charger4404spd

Thats weird, Chris' pic of the fuel gauge is lit from the 12 oclock position, but its cutout starts at about the 2 oclock position and goes down the right side :scratchchin:

Dino

Quote from: Charger4404spd on March 29, 2014, 12:07:56 PM
Thats weird, Chris' pic of the fuel gauge is lit from the 12 oclock position, but its cutout starts at about the 2 oclock position and goes down the right side :scratchchin:

I'm confused... 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

An extra notch in the gauge edges here and there would probably make a positive difference.

But you know...they do sell LED strips that are dimmable...

It would be pretty easy to surround each gauge with the strip and hook it into the rheostat.  You can even get them in rgb so you can pick your color.