News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drip rail metal difference?

Started by mopar4don, April 12, 2014, 12:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

Is their a difference in the metal width of the drip rail, between a vinyl top and non vinyl top car?

My problem:
I am fixing my lower a-pillar by sectioning in an a-pillar from a donor car and there is a definite difference!

mopar4don

mopar4don

I think I can grind down or blend in the difference so it would not be noticeable.
But is this going to give me problems down the road, if I put a vinyl top on?

The blue upper piece .335 is from a vinyl top car.
The green sectioned in piece .350 is from a donor car that I have no idea what it had? Maybe the non vinyl cars were thicker?

I don't know what to do about this?
Suggestions are appreciated.

Mike DC

I'm not totally sure, but I don't think there was any intentional difference between vinyl tops and non-vinyl tops there. 

bill440rt

I don't ever remember hearing about a difference, either. There would be two totally different drip rails manufactured with different part numbers. Don't ever remember seeing different parts in the parts book. I believe AMD is only manufacturing one drip rail type at the moment as well.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar4don

Thanks Mike and Bill.
I was just concerned that if it was on the small side then the drip rail molding might be loose.

Is there any difference in the moldings? Seems like I remember reading that there was a diiference from vinyl top to non vinyl top cars.

bill440rt

Don't think there's a difference between trim, either. Again, two separate part numbers would be referenced in the parts books.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar4don

Thanks Bill.
And just so everyone knows, Before I took the measurements I removed the paint so I was measuring metal.
Ok I guess I'm worried about nothing! I'll make it work then.