News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proform 750 CFM DP carburetor tuning?

Started by Nickrc3, March 29, 2014, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BSB67

I'm having technical issues (self induced) on my last couple of posts..

On the subject of air bleeds, I think we'll just need to disagree.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

justcruisin

I can't see how changing mains will have an effect on idle AFR as all the fuel will be through the IFR jets. As far as WOT is concerned I get my idle cruise an moderate throttle right and tune WOT with secondaries, power valve and PVCR jets. Although I am tuning for the street and not the track. I agree with BSB67 on the air bleed effect. I guess there is more than one way to get the job done and we all do what works for us, good discussion though.

NHCharger

Still playing with the carb. I have actually driven the car about 16 miles. After a 12 mile run on Sunday I pulled three plugs (easiest ones to access). They look a little too white?? Not the greatest at reading plugs but I thought they show it running lean. Currently all four corner idle screws are set at 3/4 turn out. I reset them all at 1 complete turn out and went for a 3 mile drive. The idle speed dropped a bit after the adjustment and I could notice a stronger gassy smell when I pulled into the shop and let it idle for a moment.The car ran fine but with only 16 mile on the engine I'm still babying it.

Below are two pics of the plugs, front left to right, # 8,2,1.
tomorrow night I will pull the same plugs and also check the timing.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

firefighter3931

Quote from: NHCharger on May 13, 2014, 08:18:08 PM
Still playing with the carb. I have actually driven the car about 16 miles. After a 12 mile run on Sunday I pulled three plugs (easiest ones to access). They look a little too white?? Not the greatest at reading plugs but I thought they show it running lean. Currently all four corner idle screws are set at 3/4 turn out. I reset them all at 1 complete turn out and went for a 3 mile drive. The idle speed dropped a bit after the adjustment and I could notice a stronger gassy smell when I pulled into the shop and let it idle for a moment.The car ran fine but with only 16 mile on the engine I'm still babying it.

Below are two pics of the plugs, front left to right, # 8,2,1.
tomorrow night I will pull the same plugs and also check the timing.

Brian,

The idle dropped when you richened the mixture....that makes sense and shows that the idle circuit is now functional/responsive.  :2thumbs: I would go back the 3/4 turn to eliminate the rich idle which will keep the plugs clean. Under no-load conditions it's OK to be lean. Idle AFR of 14-14.5:1 is fine.

Take it out for a 20 min run and keep the rpms steady at say 2000-2500 rpm then shut down right away and pull a plug. Don't let it idle at all. This should give you an accurate cruise (light load) reading on the plugs.  :scope:

We can revisit the wide open jetting once you get some more break-in miles on the engine  :2thumbs:

Looking at the plugs it doesn't look too lean to me.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

NHCharger

Ron, Plugs after todays cruise. (Thursday nights cruise did not end well :icon_smile_blackeye: )I live on a dirt road so there is 2-3 minutes of engine idle driving until i get from the paved road to my shop.
The plugs from L to R  1-2-4-5.  They still look a little too white compared to my other cars. Would it help if I backed the timing down a couple degrees?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

firefighter3931

Quote from: NHCharger on May 17, 2014, 08:56:48 PM
Ron, Plugs after todays cruise. (Thursday nights cruise did not end well :icon_smile_blackeye: )I live on a dirt road so there is 2-3 minutes of engine idle driving until i get from the paved road to my shop.
The plugs from L to R  1-2-4-5.  They still look a little too white compared to my other cars. Would it help if I backed the timing down a couple degrees?

Brian, try richening up the idle mixture a small amount. It doesn't take much so go slowly....maybe 1/4 turn at a time  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ottawamerc

Nh that's how my plugs look too and according to my A/F gauge I'm running a little rich :shruggy:

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Nickrc3

Firefighter3931 - yes, I have planned to continue the route with increasing the IAB's. Like you said, one more round of larger sizes and see what that does.

Well, I installed new #78 IAB's - no difference. Engine still runs best with the idle-mixture screws 1/2 turn from base. Plugs were pulled and though not clean, definitely not carboned-over & sooty. Exhaust smell has improved.
I'm now at the point where I feel generally satisfied with the results, therefore, may leave well-enough alone. She start good, idle is @ 835RPM, and has very impressive acceleration. Drilling the primary throttle blades is my next option, however, my focus is now switching over to my teenage car:

circa-1977. Those side window stickers were worth another 15HP  ;D

Starting a new thread over in the body forum

BSB67

Quote from: Nickrc3 on May 18, 2014, 04:20:31 PM
Firefighter3931 - yes, I have planned to continue the route with increasing the IAB's. Like you said, one more round of larger sizes and see what that does.

Well, I installed new #78 IAB's - no difference. Engine still runs best with the idle-mixture screws 1/2 turn from base. Plugs were pulled and though not clean, definitely not carboned-over & sooty. Exhaust smell has improved.
I'm now at the point where I feel generally satisfied with the results, therefore, may leave well-enough alone. She start good, idle is @ 835RPM, and has very impressive acceleration. Drilling the primary throttle blades is my next option, however, my focus is now switching over to my teenage car:

circa-1977. Those side window stickers were worth another 15HP  ;D

Starting a new thread over in the body forum

Or you could do what was suggested on the second post of this thread and likely actually fix the problem.   

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Nickrc3

BSB67,
          Yes, I suppose reducing those four IFR's would be the next logical choice. Their size is not specified on the 750DP spec card. Does anyone know what size may be installed on this particular carburetor? I had the fuel bowls off the carb this weekend, but never bothered to observe their size.

Thanks Guys!