News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A Fiberglass General Lee

Started by TruckDriver, April 01, 2014, 10:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I hope this wasn't covered already, but I thought this is what they should used for the movies cars and Duke's Fest.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Dino

To hell with that, where can I get one!  I may be able to hit 15mpg with that weight reduction.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

69chargerboy

Quote from: Dino on April 01, 2014, 10:50:05 AM
To hell with that, where can I get one!  I may be able to hit 15mpg with that weight reduction.   :lol:

Looks pretty sweet. Glad to see an alternative to destroying real Chargers!
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

marshallfry01

I wonder how much that would cost to do... :scratchchin:  I would love to have one! And you could jump it and not feel bad!  :nana:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

wingcar

With all the Chargers they have already destroyed with the DoH TV and numerous movies it had to happen sooner or later...After all Chrysler only made so many Chargers back in the day.

A fiberglass General Lee should really fly...hope they use a wide angle lens....LOL
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

cudaken

Truck Driver, any details on glass Charger? My self, I am thinking no Rust!  :icon_smile_big:

Ken
I am back

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 69chargerboy on April 01, 2014, 11:05:31 AM

Looks pretty sweet. Glad to see an alternative to destroying real Chargers!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: Now we can bring the show back on TV  :popcrn:  :2thumbs:  :Twocents:

JB400

It looks like they used a b body sub frame though.  Something got cut up to build this one :scratchchin:

TruckDriver

Quote from: cudaken on April 01, 2014, 11:47:48 AM

Truck Driver, any details on glass Charger? My self, I am thinking no Rust!  :icon_smile_big:

Ken

I saw this in my news feed on Facebook this morning. The company that did this is not American. That is all I know. I did find more photos of the car though, and the link to their website. I do not know what language this is.

http://www.dukesracing.gr/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dukes-Of-Hazzard/141747539218176
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TruckDriver

4 more  ;)
PETE

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: JB400 on April 01, 2014, 12:06:24 PM
It looks like they used a b body sub frame though.  Something got cut up to build this one :scratchchin:

im thinking a cheap four door went under the knife... that or a car that was already decapitated  :scratchchin:

Brass

To hell with that - what about going faster?!   ;)

Dino

Quote from: Brass on April 01, 2014, 02:36:09 PM

To hell with that - what about going faster?!   ;)

Oh yeah that too!

I'm getting old...   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Troy

Looks like a lot of work! The fit of the cowl is pretty awful. At least it's all new stuff (said after 3 years of rust replacement).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

tan top

looks just the job for the tv/movie stunt &  dukes of hazard fest jump mob !!   all it needs is a space frame inside  :yesnod:  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bill440rt

Fiberglass work in a t-shirt, shorts, sandals, and no dust mask. I can feel the itching already!  :lol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

68RT440

The finished product looks pretty good, even if it is a Char-vette... :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger R/T, matching numbers 440/727, black with green top and interior, currently getting restored by me

Patronus

Id set that on a tube chassis and a 400 small block twin-turbo crotch rocket slayer
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Mike DC

The "Knight Rider" crew tried a fiberglass shell jump car back in the day.  It didn't work.  They went back to wrecking brand new Trans Ams after a few months.  

The fiberglass shells weren't absorbing the impact like a steel unibody.  Crumpling metal saves the drivers.

The shell-cars weren't flying well either.  A car actually flies higher/farther (for a given speed) when it's heavier.

----------------------------------------

That said, the 'glass GL in the pics is an interesting project.

TexasGeneral

Would this be considered a cloned clone GL? Cloned charger? I think it's like banging the fat chick in school.. Fun to drive but get made fun of if you ever told ;D

GL#10

Good luck if your in a wreck in that thing   :smilielol:

six-tee-nine

Quote from: bill440rt on April 01, 2014, 03:02:13 PM
Fiberglass work in a t-shirt, shorts, sandals, and no dust mask. I can feel the itching already!  :lol:

It looks like you know what you are talking about there bill..... :D
Honestly, I thought the same because I once did it in just a T-shirt and I can tell you, never again...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 69chargerboy on April 01, 2014, 11:05:31 AM

Glad to see an alternative to destroying real Chargers!

And when you're done with it, just light it on fire and destroy the evidence.

JR

I have a couple of thoughts on it.

It looks like the outer skin of another B body was cut up to mount this glass body. The inner structure doesn't look to of come from a 4 door, I'm guessing a coronet or satellite 2 door post car.

They REALLY need to add some rollover/side impact protection if they plan to actually drive it. What would be a low speed minor fender bender could be leathal in that car. Or the thought of rolling it (as is) is terrifying.

It would be great to mount to a modern stock car rolling chassis. Thatd make for a fun track day car you could stuff into the wall without worry. Well, except for your wallet.

My last thought is, if you're gonna swap the body on to another vehicle to give the appearance of a 69 charger, why limit yourself to another B body? If I wanted a street car, to hell with the purist's opinions, I'd be dropping that body onto a late model GTO/Monaro/G8 chassis, or maybe a late 90s 540i, or something comparable. That way, you wind up with a reliable car that actually IS as fast as we all pretend the old General is.  Not to mention it would make a MUCH better driving car.

But this is really cool tho. Glad someone finally did it.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Mike DC

I fail to see the huge new well of opportunities that something like this would open up.    

Every panel duplicated in 'glass on that car is already available in steel from AMD.  

Steel isn't THAT heavy, it's partly the understructure that adds weight.  You could cut away most of the understructure supporting the OEM steel outer skin, rebuild it like a racecar, and end up with something that isn't dramatically heavier than fiberglass.  

Drache

Quote from: TruckDriver on April 01, 2014, 02:23:50 PM
I saw this in my news feed on Facebook this morning. The company that did this is not American. That is all I know. I did find more photos of the car though, and the link to their website. I do not know what language this is.

http://www.dukesracing.gr/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dukes-Of-Hazzard/141747539218176

Greek.

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire