News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting close to done!; *UPDATE* DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by RKCHARGER, April 04, 2014, 08:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Sanding between coats does help produce that 'dive right into' paint job. Labor intensive, but certainly worth it.
if a piece of trash gets burried in clear, you wet sand down the top layer if material, that piece (nib) is in the layer beneath and too late to get at it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

hemi-hampton

Clear will stick to sanded clear. How does he get clear to stick to rubbed out smooth non sanded clear? I've always sanded & rubbed my clear after my last coat of clear, not before my last coat of clear. Pic below for example. Did this Camaro 2 days ago. LEON.

RKCHARGER

Hemi-

Im not sure on the process and I may have the order wrong. I've seen his past work and what this one looks like so far and im flat out impressed. I guess what im trying to say is he could tell me he's using unicorn horn dust to sand the car and I wouldn't know the difference but his past work warrants my trust on the Charger. I'm not a paint and body guy which is why i'm paying someone to do it.

RK

RKCHARGER

BTW that Camaro looks great, nice work!  :2thumbs:

73rallye440magnum

I'm with Hemi-Hampton- are you sure he's putting clear on top of buffed/polished clear?
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

RKCHARGER

AGAIN, let me be clear no pun intended........NO I AM NOT SURE OF THE PROCESS>  I could be and most likely am wrong :nana:....... I am not a paint guy........This is all the man does for a living and knows what he is doing. If it is not common practice to polish the clear he is most likely not doing so and i've interprted the info wrong........Maybe he was sanding between coats of paint not clear. Sorry about all of the confusion.  :coolgleamA:

Indygenerallee

After the first clear is wetsanded and another coat of clear is applied and buffed again it ensures the clear is LAZER straight and no orange peel whatsoever ... show car all the way.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

73rallye440magnum

I never sanded between coats, and I had pretty good results.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

hemi-hampton

I understand the sanding between coats to denib the base, I do it all the time. I understand the sanding clear to, Just don't understand the way he said it, he made it sound like 1 coat clear, then sand & rub, 2nd coat of clear, then sand & rub, 3rd coat of clear, then sand & rub. Nobody does it that way. I just think he worded wrong. Which confused me. LEON. :scratchchin:

RKCHARGER

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on April 13, 2014, 06:04:22 PM
I never sanded between coats, and I had pretty good results.

wow!!!!! :o

MAD

Amazing looking car, I Dig the Hood! makes it look mean and personal.

Dino

The only time I have sanded clear to add more clear to it was to level out the paint after adding stripes and such.  It makes it easier to get a flat surface without the risk of sanding through it.  On a regular paint job I don't see the point but it's the end result that counts so as long as it looks good, nobody will care how it got there.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Dino on April 15, 2014, 06:58:59 AM
The only time I have sanded clear to add more clear to it was to level out the paint after adding stripes and such.  It makes it easier to get a flat surface without the risk of sanding through it.  On a regular paint job I don't see the point but it's the end result that counts so as long as it looks good, nobody will care how it got there.   :icon_smile_big:

Yeah, I did that to a AC Cobra I painted Silver wih 2 black strips about 20 years ago. LEON.

RKCHARGER

Sorry for the choppy photos but i had to resize them to about 10% of thier original size.    Almost complete though and I could not be any more happy with the results. :2thumbs:

cdr

looks great!!! your hood looks really good.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

RKCHARGER

CDR,  Thanks man, im really happy with how it turned out! The car will be done completely by friday I hope, only thing left is to put the new wheels and tires on and those should be here in 2 weeks.

ACUDANUT

BIGBLCK11

hemi-hampton

Looks good, Congrats :2thumbs:  LEON.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

B5 Charger

Awesome!  Love plum crazy and white together!   :icon_smile_big:

RKCHARGER

Here are a couple more photos, the car should be all done by monday next week and i will post more pics but these are the most current. KEEP THE HOOD HATE COMING!!!!!! :popcrn: :popcrn:

ACUDANUT

RKCHARGER

:cheers::oDONE :o :cheers: