News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque Boxes, inner fender braces, and Subframe Connectors...

Started by MxRacer855, April 15, 2014, 12:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxRacer855

Thanks Scott! I appreciate it. I just got the stuff in today, so hopefully we'll have progress by next week!

P.S. I'm very pleased with the quality of the U.S. Car Tool stuff I purchased. Plus, I live in Chicago and they're out of one of the Carolina's... I ordered my stuff on Monday afternoon and received it around noon today! :2thumbs:

Jeff

tsmithae

Chicago?  Where abouts, if you don't mind me asking? I too am from Chicago.   :2thumbs:
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

MxRacer855

Specifically, Aurora! I'm literally right off of I-88 by Fermi lab and the Chicago Premium Outlet mall, if you're familiar with those two spots.

I love hearing about fellow Charger friends in the area! :cheers:

Jeff

tsmithae

Yep, I know the area. I used to date a girl that went to Aurora U.  Nowadays I actually live in the city and have to commute out past the 'burbs to work on my Charger.

:cheers:

MxRacer855

:2thumbs: We'll have to get together sometime for a cruise and swap Charger talk!  :cheers:

-Jeff

tsmithae

Agreed!  Unfortunately my Charger is not quite ready for a cruise yet but I'd love to see yours and shoot the breeze.   :cheers:

-Ted

Dino

And if you guys get bored, cruise on over to Metro Detroit.  There's a few of us Charger nuts in the area.  It's only a 4 hour drive and you'll even have the chance to see a winning baseball team at work.   :naughty:   :stirthepot: :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

MxRacer855

I'd love to get up there! A good friend of mine is in Detroit and talks about that car show/rally every year. Woodward is it? He said that "words CANNOT describe the magnitude of that event"!
:2thumbs:

I've got to get up there to check it out!

Jeff

dangina

I did my own rad brace, went to a speed shop that did roll cages and gave the the width in between the rails and got it bent up - 1 3/4" DOM tubing. I just cut the extra length off till I got what I needed, clears the k member and rad still fits. Cost I think was around $40

james j

Hi Everyone,

I am a little new to the forum here, but starting to kick some dust off an old project in my garage. I know that I am kind of dredging up an older post, but wanted to get your thoughts on something, before making another newb post. I too live in the Chicagoland area (Tinely Park/Frankfort) and am trying to wrap up some metal work on the car before paint. I am not going to install a coil over package out of the gate, but may do so later. As such I would rather have some sort of inner fender braces installed now rather than later. However, I would like to know your thoughts on what design would work best. I think the XV style would be easy to bend and fab with some 1.25 or 1.5" DOM tubing, but so would the USCT style after making a template. I just would like to get your thoughts on what would be the most stout installation. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help!

James J

comet_666

I used the rad support from XV engineering along with the tubular inner fender braces. I also added torque boxes and frame ties that are beefy and come through the floor a bit.
Now I just need to drive it to see how much stiffer it feels!

myk

XV is pretty much dead; I wouldn't count on their parts or support...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

HPP

Quote from: myk on August 27, 2014, 09:12:22 AM

Actually, they have been resurrected by a former employe who took over the product line, has pared it down to a manageable size and it trying to revive the name. It has changed slightly from XV Motorsports to XV Racing Products.  The "Products" portion is important to include in your search, otherwise you'll find yourself at a Honda Tuner sight. However, their website is XV Engineering; http://xvengineering.com/

Troy

Quote from: myk on August 27, 2014, 09:12:22 AM
Someone (former employee) has all the templates and such and is selling their parts. However, he doesn't keep any inventory that I know of and builds stuff per order.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

comet_666

Yah that kind of sucks about XV, I ordered a retractable seat belt assembly from them and wanted to order the passenger side one...no go.

Troy

The seat belts were rebranded from a commonly available after market setup. Can't remember the name at the moment but it's listed here in another thread somewhere.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

comet_666

Quote from: Troy on August 27, 2014, 03:36:14 PM
The seat belts were rebranded from a commonly available after market setup. Can't remember the name at the moment but it's listed here in another thread somewhere.

Troy

Ohh, well that is good to know!  I will do a search!
Thanks Troy

Charger-Bodie

The inner fender brace stiffen the car a lot. Not so much from a suspension stand point but the torque of the motors we put in these things can be very hard on the front structure. The fender braces help a lot.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

james j

Thanks for all of the great responses everyone. I wasn't particularly looking at trying to buy XV's product, but fab up something based on their design ...or that of UC Car Tool's design.

What do you think is a more stout design?

US Car Tool's 'style' design:

or the company formerly known as XV Motorsports design:

comet_666

Here are mine from XV, crap pic but you get the idea.

TexasStroker

Saw this thread last night and investigated the "new XV."  I checked the website out and sure enough they were back.  I shot an e-mail off on break at work today regarding the availability of the lower radiator support braces...Chris was quick to respond and told me he wants to roll out some other stuff, but will keep me posted.  I guess there is a mailing list for those also interested.  I have waited YEARS for the lower rad brace...Still haven't found anyone locally to bend square tubing that size so this one is back on my radar.

The biggest issue with XV was simply not having the parts in stock when people wanted them...the prices were kind of high, but some have no issues with that.  If the new ownership can build up to a point of having the stuff in stock, or a short lead time for placed orders that would be pretty fantastic news in my book.  I still prefer their style of lower radiator support brace.  If you were interested in their products and missed out when they closed, I would suggest you touch base with them and see if you can't work something out.

If the water jet guy ever gets caught up on his backlog I am still going to make one that route just since I have put the time into it, lol.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!