News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

833 overdrive ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, April 20, 2014, 10:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Is an aluminum 833 overdrive the same length as the b-body cast iron unit ? Will it fit in a BB bell housing or do/can the bearing retainer be changed ?  thanks...
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

RallyeMike

Its the same length as long as long as you get it from a van, truck, or other. They also made the short (A-body style) 833 OD trans.

The bearing retainer is larger on the OD, so you either have to machine a B-RB bell housing to fit or buy a Lakewood bell housing. That is the only hurdle. Everything else about it is a bolt in.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mike DC

Do the aluminum case A-833s have the same durability as the iron ones?  I can't see any (functional) drawbacks to using an aluminum case otherwise. 

RallyeMike

I am using one in the 72 that is used for road racing. It has a 500hp 383 and has never had a problem. However, Mopar guys that have broke a lot more stuff than me tell me that the weakness in the OD unit is that the counter shaft rides on in the aluminum case. Over time, with hard launches and severe HP, the aluminum eggs out around the shaft and that causes failure. The apparent solution to make them tougher is to machine the case and install a bushing around the counter shaft (mine is unmodified).

SO the short answer is they are apparently not as durable as an iron case. For a lot of cars they are still stout enough though.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Cooter

Counter gear is a problem because when in OD, you are actually running THIRD GEAR...
therefore, the counter gear bearings/case wear out faster. Aluminum moves around ALOT. Clearances may begin tight and ok, but once you've driven around for a while, they may loosen up causing a weaker set up in high HP/Torque apps.

They were designed for mid 70's /6 and weak small blocks.....NOT high HP big blocks.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rolling_Thunder

My friend ran one behind a 750hp blown 440 with 18" wide M/Ts---   you wont want to launch it hard but for street driving you're golden.  To improve durability you would machine the counter shaft bored to accept a bronze bushing.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Cooter

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 19, 2014, 05:59:27 PM
My friend ran one behind a 750hp blown 440 with 18" wide M/Ts---   you wont want to launch it hard but for street driving you're golden.  To improve durability you would machine the counter shaft bored to accept a bronze bushing.

I have a STOCK T5 behind a 440 that wouldn't last ten minutes behind a Fox body 306, yet it's been in the General Lee for over 7 years.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XH29N0G

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 20, 2014, 12:27:09 PM
Its the same length as long as long as you get it from a van, truck, or other. They also made the short (A-body style) 833 OD trans.

The bearing retainer is larger on the OD, so you either have to machine a B-RB bell housing to fit or buy a Lakewood bell housing. That is the only hurdle. Everything else about it is a bolt in.

Regarding the retainer, when I was a kid, I swapped the one from the 3 speed I swapped out.  Don't know if that was a problem, but then it fit.  The shifter is funky on them, so mine sat up real high.  Otherwise was nice to have.  I only had it on a stock 383. 

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Cooter

Taken from another site.....

"I was in the situation where all I had was a o/d bell and a trans with the small 4.35" retainer. There was a guy over on moparts that sold me a retainer with the 5.125" od and the small bolt pattern. He said it came off a 3sp and were fairly common. I now have bearing retainers for 5.125" big bolt pattern and small bolt pattern. i also have a small pattern 4.35" a small pattern 4.80" and big pattern 4.8" Moral of the story is there are lots of combos out there you just have to look for them. FYI the truck-van O/D has the mounting for the B/E body cars."