News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It misses, wont idle, and is making me crazy

Started by svalkid, May 13, 2014, 07:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

svalkid

So, I have this 72 Charger. Bought it last year. it sat under a tarp for 6-8 yrs. Someone supposedly rebuilt the 440 engine, it was never started. I have no info on the build whatsoever. After several months of putting dash back together. Getting trans linkage. Doing the brakes,exhaust, fuel pump, radiator, wire harnesses, finding all the missing pieces to the to everything, cleaning fuel tank,  and, well you get the picture. Finally got to start it. Engine has a miss, wont idle, and of course the brakes don't work cause the cam is to radical. Took it to a mech. I said make it run good and call me when its done. He had it for about a month and put in adjustable rockers, new push rods, new carb. Same problem. I took it back today. Still havnt driven it. Some say "gotta know what cam it is". Some say vaccum leak somewhere. I can work on stuff and fix stuff but I am no diagnostic mechanic. What are some of your ideas on this? Paul

NHCharger

So the engine was rebuilt but you don't know what was done or added. If a new flat tappet cam was added it should be broke in properly. It's hard to diagnose without more info. If you think there is a vacuum leak just cap the vacum tree off for right now and concentrate on the engine. Did the mechanic check to see if the distributor was installed properly. If the rebuild was done by Joe the backyard mechanic with the help of a drinking buddy who knows how well the engine was put together. Lots of questions with no answers.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cudaken

Paul, first what did you Mechanic say when you took it back?  :scratchchin: Sounds like you spent a lot of money with this person and I would want some answers. :RantExplode:

Next step would be to tell us what you know about the engine components such as ignition (still have points), carb (manual choke or electric) intake and such. I know you don't have a clue on the cam.

Next would be when this missing is happening, at idle, driving, stepping on the gas or all of the listed.

Next would be what you can do, change plugs, shot timing and such.

With out being there a video with sound would help a bunch!

More than likely it is something simple and one of us here has had to deal with in our past.

My first thought is timing order and if the oil pump drive was install right (drives distributor) and effects the rotor position. But a video would help a ton!

Video of timing order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRRKxlEQQpo&feature=player_detailpage

Cuda Ken

I am back

svalkid

Yep, Ken it was something simple. When I gave the car to the mech it wouldn't always start, and it wouldn't idle when it did. So he found some of the valves weren't closing completely. Put in roller adjustable rockers. Had an old Holly carb on it that had sat for I don't know how long. He couldn't get it dialed in. Put a new Edelbrock 600 on it. He did some other stuff too.  Anyway. I pulled the plugs out last night, found 3 fuel fowled. Put in a new set tonite after work, It fired right up, and it idled. Took it out for a quick test ride, first time out of my driveway on its own power! It was bitchen!
Now I need to find the best way to make those brakes work. I installed new everything but have to stand on em to slow it down. From the sound of most of the threads Ive read, sounds like I need some vacuum help cause of the cam. Thanks guys.

svalkid

Quote from: svalkid on May 13, 2014, 07:25:12 PM
So, I have this 72 Charger. Bought it last year. it sat under a tarp for 6-8 yrs. Someone supposedly rebuilt the 440 engine, it was never started. I have no info on the build whatsoever. After several months of putting dash back together. Getting trans linkage. Doing the brakes,exhaust, fuel pump, radiator, wire harnesses, finding all the missing pieces to the to everything, cleaning fuel tank,  and, well you get the picture. Finally got to start it. Engine has a miss, wont idle, and of course the brakes don't work cause the cam is to radical. Took it to a mech. I said make it run good and call me when its done. He had it for about a month and put in adjustable rockers, new push rods, new carb. Same problem. I took it back today. Still havnt driven it. Some say "gotta know what cam it is". Some say vaccum leak somewhere. I can work on stuff and fix stuff but I am no diagnostic mechanic. What are some of your ideas on this? Paul

cudaken

Paul, can you make a video of the car? We love to watch!  :lol:

Run a vacuum test and tell us what she is pulling. It could be a bad Brake Booster and not the cam.  :scratchchin:

Reason I would like a video? :scratchchin: I love the sound of a nasty cam! :2thumbs:

Cuda Ken
I am back

svalkid

Ken I would make a video but I am techno challenged. It is only pulling 7in. of vacuum. Did a couple of the booster checks that I read about. It seems ok.
For sure a cam issue. I saw a set up on somebodies 68 that used the power steering pump to power the hardware. I don't know what it was though.
Any idea what that was? I don't want to use an electric pump, been reading to much negative stuff about them.
Paul

garner7555

That is called hydro boost. It comes factory on a lot of heavy trucks. Works great.  I would like to add it to my charger as well.  Great setup, just not the cheapest.  Do a search on hydro boost and see if that helps.  :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod