News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I had my first case of mistaken identity...

Started by Daytona R/T SE, April 23, 2014, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

This past Sunday while I had my car sitting out in the sun...

The neighbor from across the street walks up and says...

"Nice car."

I said "Thanks."

Then while looking straight at the stripe that has spelled out in large letters the word

"D-A-Y-T-O-N-A"...

He says...

"What is it....

A Super Bee ?

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

:eek2:   :eek2:   :eek2:

::)   ::)   ::)

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

A383Wing

I get it all the time.....it will never end..get used to it...have another beer

Daytona R/T SE

Yeah, I just chuckled a little and said...

No Denny,

"It's a Charger Daytona"  :coolgleamA:

62 Max

After hearing it 30 + years  I am finally convinced  that Superbirds are actually Superbee's. :shruggy:

A383Wing

I tell some of the people that "Bee's don't have Wings"

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 62 Max on April 23, 2014, 10:40:30 PM
After hearing it 30 + years  I am finally convinced  that Superbirds are actually Superbee's. :shruggy:

That's OK. Super Bees are Superbirds.
Coronets are Chargers.

I used to care. It's easier to smile and nod.
I'm just glad people notice.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

Agreed.  At least he didn't suggest painting it orange and putting a flag on the roof and 01 on the doors.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on April 24, 2014, 05:36:21 AM
Agreed.  At least he didn't suggest painting it orange and putting a flag on the roof and 01 on the doors.

kab69440

I am fairly used to hearing about formerly owned Chevelles that are "just identical" to mine. Sigh...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

hemi68charger

Quote from: 62 Max on April 23, 2014, 10:40:30 PM

And Daytonas are "Superbirds"..... it never fails............... Bless the hearts of those ignorant people, for they know not.....  ;D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

I can hardly tell a Civic from a Prius though myself so... :shruggy:

Indygenerallee

Usually anyone looking at a Daytona says "Isn't that one of those Superbirds that Richard Petty drove" Ive heard it more than once..
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

HemiFish

I know that feeling well. I have had my '69 Barracuda Fastback called everything from a GTO to a Camaro....    :brickwall:   

wingcar

I use to hear the "Superbee" tag a lot when I drove my Superbird.  Now people call my Daytona "Clone" a Superbird....sometimes I don't even bother to correct them.....
And, there are those that still call my 2008 Challenger SRT a "Charger" or at times a Camaro....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

FJ5WING

Ive had two different people refer to mine as a Plymouth Dodge. My guess is they only knew the Plymouth part because of the big white lettering ?
wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

Given that most today view a vehicle as nothing more than an appliance and get Toyotas because somebody else said they should, I guess we should just be happy that they can recite a few vintage Mopar names at all even. :shruggy:

Wingnut426

I  had a guy at a cruise ask me if the wing on my Hemi 'Bird was off a Suburu!   :smilielol:
HEMI Daytona Convertible

tan top

D'oh  :brickwall: 

Quote from: Ghoste on April 24, 2014, 05:36:21 AM
Agreed.  At least he didn't suggest painting it orange and putting a flag on the roof and 01 on the doors.

:yesnod:  true !!    :brickwall:   :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

Have already gotten the Superbird reference to my clone Daytona project about a dozen times . People keep sending me pictures of Superbirds and showing me articles about Superbirds. I have stopped correcting them. What's the point? They are just being polite and showing  interest in what I am up to. No reason to make them feel dumb. It's not like they are going to make graphics for my car or something. :shruggy:

Bob T

Maybe their rationale is that it has a wing so it must be a Bee  :shruggy:   :D

Had a 20 year old American woman ask if my car was a Chevrolet while looking at the Charger script , I couldn't help laughing
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

XH29N0G

People like me, who know some cars but not others, appreciate the understanding. 

I thought I was going to get my head ripped off one time when I made the mistake of asking if a 65 Plymouth was a Dodge.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kismgby

My fave was the guy who practically wanted to debate to the death that no car ever came from the factory looking that way.   :brickwall:

Ghoste

Yeah, you gotta love the ones that know more about your car than you do.

SBBob

My best one is my (fill in the blank) had one just like this, but it did not have the wing or nose cone.  Also over heard once at a car show the car was made by George Barris.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

Ghoste

Yeah but to be fair, George Barris takes credit for almost everything automotive anyway.

hitail

Actually had someone working at a MOPAR show look directly at me and say "nice Dodge" as I drive past
him in my Superbird. You would think the large PLYMOUTH decals would have been a clue.

69white hat

Lol! I was filling my 69 ( which Is orange ) at a gas station and buddy walks up and says "Nice charger." I say thanks. He says " too bad it aint a 73. It could be a general lee " I said Ya. It sure is..   :image_294343:

Wingnut426

I was once asked "you're the guy that drives that big Duster, right?"  LOL! :smilielol:
HEMI Daytona Convertible

boss429kiwi

I have a good one for you.

I took my 1970 Torino Cobra to an All Ford Day.
Two guys walked past and said "who the f$&@ would bring a dodge Charger to a All Ford Day!"

I had a good laugh, it made my day  :smilielol:

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

r4daytona

You guys have me excited anticipating my first story like that !! 

1970Moparmann

Quote from: boss429kiwi on April 28, 2014, 01:01:53 AM
I have a good one for you.

I took my 1970 Torino Cobra to an All Ford Day.
Two guys walked past and said "who the f$&@ would bring a dodge Charger to a All Ford Day!"

I had a good laugh, it made my day  :smilielol:

Gary

That's awesome! 

In my neighborhood when I brought the Bird home, I heard "Is it real" about 10x.   Will be interesting once it hits the streets!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

FJ5WING

I heard that ALL the time when I first bought it. I was able to reply with "have you ever seen a fake one?" but nowadays theres a couple handfuls of clones so I guess I'll just have to go with a simple yes, if it ever comes up again.
wingless now, but still around.

Daytona Guy

Arnie Cunningham

I made up an info sheet a few years back.
It can be found at:
http://brcook.com/id31.html
It should be printable as a PDF.
I welcome any comments that might improve it.
Brennan R. Cook
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.