News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

I started the restoration of my 1968 Dodge Charger with a plan to build a modern Bullitt. The outside of the car will look like the movie car with exception to the wheels, tires and a lower stances.
I'm planning on a set of one off 17" wheels to match the look of the hubcaps use on the Bullitt Charger. This will allow larger brakes and wider tires. This hubcap was made to look like a mag wheel and now
I'm going to have a wheel made to look like a hubcap. The motor will be a gen III Hemi 6.4 or the new Hellcat if it would fit under the stock hood? And a 6 speed manual trans. I have a lot of details to work out but for now
I will bag and tag the parts and get the car media blasted.
Thanks
Pat

This how car looked when I bought it a 1 ½ years ago.

And now the parts start coming off!

WHITE AND RED 69

Awwww Yeeaaahh! Going to be one badass machine! Can't wait to see the progress.  :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

crj1968

This sounds awesome. Definitely interested in seeing what your wheel idea turns out like.
Who will be making the wheels?

Ghoste

Yeah, the wheels are going to be an interesting part of the build and a big part of the cool factor.

Baldwinvette77

bill440rt

Wow, sounds like it's going to be an awesome car!
Looks pretty good just the way it is! Any problem areas with the body?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

RallyeMike

Very interested to see how you build the wheels to look like the hubcaps! When will you start on that, and will they fly off multiple times upon command?
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

cudaken

While the idea sounds interesting why mess with near perfection?  :scratchchin: Guess I am just old.  :shruggy:

Modern engine, I could go either way. My self Ray Burton 426 with EFI.  :2thumbs: Better handling, sure cannot fault that. Bigger brakes, why not 4 wheel disc all the way around? Far as 17 inch rims, that where my age shows. My self, nothing bigger than 15". Now with the idea of them looking like factory wheels with hub caps, maybe but I am all so not a fan of 15" with hubcaps. 

My  :Twocents: worth Cuda Ken

I am back

keepat

Quote from: crj1968 on April 30, 2014, 05:08:02 PM
This sounds awesome. Definitely interested in seeing what your wheel idea turns out like.
Who will be making the wheels?
I'm still working on who will make the one off wheels as there are a lot of players in this business I'm just looking for the right Company that will take an interest in this project.

Quote from: bill440rt on April 30, 2014, 08:37:48 PM
Wow, sounds like it's going to be an awesome car!
Looks pretty good just the way it is! Any problem areas with the body?

The body is in great shape all original body panels No accidents and very little rust. The only significant piece of the car that is going to need to be replaced is the trunk floor as the back window leaked.

Quote from: cudaken on April 30, 2014, 09:23:36 PM

While the idea sounds interesting why mess with near perfection?  :scratchchin: Guess I am just old.  :shruggy:

Modern engine, I could go either way. My self Ray Burton 426 with EFI.  :2thumbs: Better handling, sure cannot fault that. Bigger brakes, why not 4 wheel disc all the way around? Far as 17 inch rims, that where my age shows. My self, nothing bigger than 15". Now with the idea of them looking like factory wheels with hub caps, maybe but I am all so not a fan of 15" with hubcaps. 

My  :Twocents: worth Cuda Ken

The last charger I built I went with a 472 Ray Barton Hemi. Been there done that, time for something more streetable with just as much power. As for the 17 inch wheels that will look like the hubcaps if done as i'm planing, it should still have the illusion of a 15 inch wheel. To achieve this allusion Outer rim of the wheel will be painted white to act as the white wall that is on the tires of the Bullitt car.
Thanks
Pat

Homerr

How will these 'hubcaps' go flying off?

myk

I'm curious to see what a 17 or 18 inch "hubcap" styled wheel will look like...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

How heavy do you think they'll be?

keepat

Quote from: Ghoste on May 01, 2014, 07:26:26 PM
How heavy do you think they'll be?

The cap over the lug nuts will add a few pounds to the wheel. note the blacked out part of the hubcap between the spokes will be cut out and the wheel will be only as thick as needed. I'm working with Evod industries and should have a few computer drawings in a week or two.
Thanks
Pat

Bob T

Likewise, interested to see how it turns out Pat.
:cheers:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

bill440rt

Pat, have you tried MHT Alloys for the wheels?
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

keepat

Quote from: bill440rt on May 02, 2014, 09:24:49 PM
Pat, have you tried MHT Alloys for the wheels?

Bill, I have look at their site and they make some cool wheels, but I went with Evod because they respondent to my emails quickly and when we talked on the phone they had a lot of interest in my idea. They assured me I would only need 4 wheels as theirs would not fly off ;-)
Thanks
Pat

bill440rt

keepat

Still bagging and tagging the charger so I can get the car to the media blaster. Overall the car is in great shape with all of its original sheet metal and no accidents. The front fenders have never been off the car as I had to remove the great factory undercoating to get to the fasteners for the splash guards. The media blaster I'm sure will uncover a few surprises. But for now here is the Good the Bad and the Ugly to date.
The Good, all of the frame rails are in excellent condition with only one small area of rust on the right side trans cross member and no accidents front or rear.

The Bad, a little rust on the driver's side floor that will take an 8" x 12" patch panel   

And the Ugly, I knew I would be replacing the trunk floor when I bought the car, but the back yard patch job is Ugly! On the good side both trunk drop and frame rails are rust free.

Thanks
Pat

keepat

I received the 1st rendering of the custom wheel I'm having made to look like the hubcaps used on the Bullitt Charger. There are a few small changes that need to be made, such as the center emblem is not orientated correctly. There will be a tool that will fit the emblem which will allow access to the lug-nuts.  I'm very happy with the 1st drawings of this one off wheel and look forward to seeing them made.

This is the original hubcap

And here is the custom version of the hubcap

Thanks
Pat

Baldwinvette77

Looks freaking awesome!!!!!  :cheers:

Ghoste

That is going to be a very good looking wheel.

comet_666

bill440rt

Ah hell yeah!!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

This is gonna be one sweet Charger!  :yesnod:

projectanimal

Those look amazing!  Nice car too
northwest CT

comet_666

Count your blessings on the rust, it could have been like mine.