News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

Received some of the parts I sent to Paul's Chrome here are a few before and after pictures
Thanks
Pat

Homerr

Please tell me it's the lighting and you didn't have everything gold-chromed!

keepat

Yo man you don't like gold ;-)

Its all chrome, the lighting in the picture makes it look gold.
Thanks!
Pat

TUFCAT

Just curious, why not buy reproductions of some of that stuff?  Rechroming is so expensive - especially door handles and such that are available?  That fuel cap and trim ring had to be expensive to rechrome.

I don't want to be a jerk, but are the reproductions that bad?  It might have saved some money to use elsewhere in the project.  :scratchchin:

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mf363.html

Dino

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 19, 2014, 10:25:54 AM
Just curious, why not buy reproductions of some of that stuff?  Rechroming is so expensive - especially door handles and such that are available?  That fuel cap and trim ring had to be expensive to rechrome.

I don't want to be a jerk, but are the reproductions that bad?  It might have saved some money to use elsewhere in the project.  :scratchchin:

I'd like to know as well.  I am inclined to spend more and have my original parts rechromed though, I just do not have any faith in repro parts anymore.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1965gp

In my opinion there is a noticeable difference in factory pieces (re chromed or not) and reproduction. A lot of reproductions are made of a much lighter, more brittle metal. On window trim it is very obvious. On emblems and small pieces it isn't as obvious until they break.

That being said I bought reproduction pieces. If I was building a car of this caliber I would definitely try to re chrome oem stuff especially if it was original to the car.

keepat

No question, re-chroming cost more than double most of the repro parts. Some of the repro parts look and fit good but I like reusing as much of the original parts as I can. It's cool to think that the original door handles and fuel fill will be on the car along with other parts I had re-chromed. There will be a lot of repro parts on this car but I will restore what I can.
Thanks
Pat 

bill440rt

Parts look great, Pat!  :yesnod:  :drool5:

I agree.
A lot of the repro trim pieces are very close, but there are differences. Especially with the fuel filler cap & bezel. The lines just aren't as defined.
Some repro outside handles look a little "boxy" IMHO. And the "NOS" ones that are commonly offered for sale are really truck handles that don't fit all too well on the bottom side of the handle. I've been looking myself for a set of real nice used ones to have rechromed, but even clean ones are hard to find now. Closest repro's are the ones from Trim Parts, IMHO.

Sorry for the tangent.  :rotz:
Keep the pics coming, Keepat. Can't wait to see how this car comes together.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

Those responses are inline with my way of thinking....I got the confirmation I expected.  :cheers:   For that reason I always look at any reproduction part before buying - to decide weather its good, or barely acceptable.  :Twocents: :Twocents:  

Luckily my Coronet exterior chrome is near perfect. The 1967 Coronet parts market is limited (and 440 model specific) parts don't exist in reproduction.  :pullinghair:

However I do have a reproduction passenger side mirror, and it looks thick and bulky around the edge details (like Bill says)  

I've heard Paul's Plating is the best out there when it comes to small detail items.

jaak

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 19, 2014, 10:25:54 AM

I have to agree with most here... repo parts suck. They are better than nothing, but there is a reason it's cheaper than rechroming. The AMD bumpers are a good example... they look better than crusty bumpers, but they are far from perfect. Every reproduction part I used on my 69 either looks cheap, does not look 100% original, did not fit well, etc. It wasn't in my budget to rechrome anything. But I would rather have a flawed original part (minor pitting, small scratches, etc.) than a new repo in most cases.

Parts look great Keepat!!!
Jason

fy469rtse

yep, i agree ,
:2thumbs: those parts look great, love the way he was able to do the brushed finish to part of the fuel cap

Moparman01

Yes those parts look amazing!! Now i have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. All of the stainless trim pieces on my 68 are as close to perfect as you can get, but most of the same pieces as shown here by Keepat are in just as bad, if not worse shape than the parts Keepat had re-chromed. It's not really in my budget, nor am i doing an OEM Gold restored level of build, to spend a ton of money on re-chroming, so i have been planning on buying new re-pop parts to replace some of my rough and pitted parts. I had know idea the re-pop's suck so bad, now i'm a little worried about it buying these parts. To the untrained eye at most local events i'm pretty sure no one would ever notice the little differences, as long as they fit properly i'm ok with the differences, that's still the route i'm gonna have to go.

TUFCAT

Since all the NOS stuff has virtually dried up, should we be looking for slightly weathered parts for rechroming cores? 

1965gp

I think there are decent reproduction parts out there- I am happy with pretty much everything I have picked up.

Try to see it in person first or stick with recommended products/brands.

Mike DC

The repro stuff doesn't always have very long-lasting chrome on it, either.  Some people complain that their brand new chromed parts are getting chalky within a couple years. 

keepat

I'm still working on the colors but I think it is close to the original hub cap colors. I also ordered the motor today, an aluminum gen III 6.1 Hemi stroked to 426 ci and about 650 hp
Thanks
Pat 

jaak

Bob T

Sure does, well done Pat, its outside the box a bit which adds to the appeal.

Old Dog, Old Tricks.

DC_1

Wow! These look great so far. You have to mount some rubber and put them on the car already! The suspense is killing me!!!

TUFCAT

The red and black really pop!   :2thumbs:

indreams84

Agree with the red/black popping....but man, those wells with a black painted lip like the mockup earlier would be killer  :coolgleamA:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T #s Matching

Patronus

I dig the idea the best. Plus you got the coin to make it happen, that usually generates excellent results. Let's hear about the rest of the plans?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

keepat

Quote from: Patronus on August 23, 2014, 04:31:53 PM
I dig the idea the best. Plus you got the coin to make it happen, that usually generates excellent results. Let's hear about the rest of the plans?

Sorry for the delayed response as I was moving my son back to school. Below is a list I put together a year ago for this build, I'm sure there will be changes along the way.
Thanks
Pat 

Charger ideas

Custom 17" wheels. Use originals hub caps to make wheels, maybe 18" with outer rim to have 1/2" white strip and 1/2" black to match tire. This will help make the wheel look like a 15" original wheel.

426 gen III aluminum block hemi twin fuel injected throttlebody's

5 or 6 speed

Custom drive shaft

TTI Ceramic coated headers

TTI 3" Exhaust with charger exhaust tips

electric exhaust cutouts

Aluminum radiator with electric fans

Awesome stereo system

Upgraded front seats but original looking made by legendary

RMS front and rear suspension
Front Alterktion coil over system
Rear Street-Lynx

InBoard mounted front leaf-spring mounts

Brake Wilwood 6 piston front 13"
       4 piston 13" on the rear
      Hydroboost with Wilwood MC

Mini tub as to fit 335 tires with 12" wheels on the rear

Front to have 255 tire with 9" wheel

Black Black Black!   

Front air ducks for brakes

Rear air ducks for brakes

Under engine cover

Custom fit front and rear bumpers

Add torque boxes front and rear. US car tool subframe connectors

Aftermarket air conditioning that will work with original vents and controls

Send dash pad and top of door panels to Just Dashes (black)

US car tool mini-tub kit
      Spring Re-location kit

BB1

Delete my profile

keepat

I finished the rust repair on the right side quarter panel, it required 3 small patch panels and a little fender well repair. The trunk floor extensions have some pits but require no repair just a coat of  POR 15.
Thanks
Pat